My thoughts about game economy

+
My thoughts about game economy

First I want to say that Witcher 3 is one of the best games I've ever played and I love almost everything about this game.

but there is a something that bugged me through the game. Money means nothing in the game. after some point in the game you have so much money you don't know what to do with it. I had like 20000 crowns without even trying. if I sold swords and armors that I just kept for their looks i would have had so much more.

there are multiple times throughout the game you have a choice to pay someone money. bribing a guard or just giving someone money out of generosity.
do i bribe him and give him my hard earned money, or i just kill him get him out of my way? do I give money to some peasant family or it's none of my business. these are the choices game gives you but the answer is so simple. you have so much money. when you can sell 2 bear pelts that are almost everywhere for 50 crowns or an armor 10 levels below your level for 300 crowns giving 40 to some peasant is not that hard.

beside the choices, you are almost never concerned about money. you can craft everything because you're wealthier than a banker. and you barely need to buy stuff because valuable items are easily found in crates in every corner.

early in the game when i was in white orchard my gear and swords needed repair and were in a bad shape. I had like 10 crowns so I took the devil by the well contract to earn some money. at the end ( as you probably know it) you can take the money or refuse it. that was really a tough choice. if I took the money I would have felt very bad for that poor family. if I refused, I would have had to fight the griffin with my nearly ruined gear.
but after reaching velen , i was constantly getting crowns easy , so when I took a contract or a secondary quest, the money i could earn was the least important thing for me. I didn't have to save money to craft armors and swords. selling stuff you find, give you so much more than enough.

my other problem is you can either do a contract on a dangerous leshen for 300 crowns or you can just kill 4 deadbeat bandit and sell their swords for the same amount. it doesn't make any sense.

the problem is obvious. Vendors pay you so much for your loot. they must buy stuff from you way cheaper. and sell you expensive.
I think that way , earning money , keeping it or spending it would be something to think carefully all the time.

What do you think?

(sorry for long post and bad English)

wazaa

Forum veteran
The point I had enough money to do anything was the point that I did not need more money, cause I had everything I needed. I had suffered money problems all the game.

Why? because when you though you had a lot of money you meet someone who sold you recepits and diagrams. And both things are incredible expensive.

Guest 3713529

when you though you had a lot of money you meet someone who sold you recepits and diagrams. And both things are incredible expensive.
Exactly. Once I have a bit of money stacked up I proceed to buy diagrams and recipes and within seconds I'm broke again.

Money was only a problem for me at the start of the game but as soon I got out of white orchard I was rolling in loot & the problem was finding a vendor with enough coin to buy it all. Got to agree the rewards for Quests were pitiful & never saw the point about bartering for more pay as they barley budged on the price. It would have been better if they gave you a sword/armor or runes as payment. If I ever need coin I just blow up a monster nest but don't clean it out then walked ten feet away & went back & raided it again & again & the loan shark was my goto guy to dump it all on plus the nest stays active & you can get points for destroying it again. .

Well, there were several points were I didn't have enough money in the end.
You know, it's the little things.

I crafted some runes (very expensive to get the material like empty runestones, black prearl dust, etc) and glyps.
Then I crafted the Griffin/Cat/Bear School Gear and all.
I did dismantle some things or had upgrades removed sometimes
I did have to pay money for some alchemical substances sometimes

In the end there were 2 times were I was really broke or often close to being broke. That was starting from White Orchard up to the beginning of Velen when being low level. And then later on when first getting to Skellige.

I think it makes sense Novigrad gives you the most money as area considering it is the multicultural hub of the Witcher world.

In White Orchard I was pretty broke but I looted everything not nailed down which would explain my riches.

I think human enemies dropping weapons would kill a lot of the gold intake. I don't like the idea of Geralt picking up all that loot anyway.

---------- Updated at 05:47 PM ----------

The point I had enough money to do anything was the point that I did not need more money, cause I had everything I needed. I had suffered money problems all the game.

Why? because when you though you had a lot of money you meet someone who sold you recepits and diagrams. And both things are incredible expensive.

But it would be better if you had to pick one or two instead of buying all of them at once. Which is what I am able to do.

I don't think the problem is in the game but in our, gamer, way of playing.

I must have sold 200 swords, 200 armors, 1000 bottles of diferant alcohols, 2000 monster parts and who knows what else in my 130 hours. The question isn't should I have sold them all and have all this money now, but why did I pick them up in the first place? OCD? Some base human need/greed? Which ever the case I never HAD to pick up all that loot. And obviously don't need 35,000 crows that I have right now.

So next time you pick up a sword worth 20 crows to the average merchant ask your self do you really need to?

The problem is in the loot and in the itemization. To much loot you can use as exploit to earn a lot of money that then you don't know how to spend. which make the witcher contracts pretty useless.
I enjoyed the fact that I didn't have enough money in White Orchard. But after the prologue...well, the system begin to show many, many flaws.

i think with 1.07 money will be spent more on all those runes and manuscripts for runes... at least i spent most of my money creating greater runes all the time...

In White Orchard I was pretty broke but I looted everything not nailed down which would explain my riches.

How were you broke in WO? You can leave it with 1000+ even if you buy the entire tamerian set and all gwent cards.

The biggest issue is that the vendors there have pretty much no money, but it's not like there isn't enough trash out there to sell, the beehives alone give you like what 400 crowns automatically...

Thats why I "modded" the perceantages value for sales. Currently, I set the value to 1/3 of the original so that, for example, for a bear hide you get only 8 coins instead of 24.

(Additionally, I also halved the XPs getting for quests to avoid over-leveling which is as anoying as the wealthiness...)

How were you broke in WO? You can leave it with 1000+ even if you buy the entire tamerian set and all gwent cards.

The biggest issue is that the vendors there have pretty much no money, but it's not like there isn't enough trash out there to sell, the beehives alone give you like what 400 crowns automatically...

It was my first playthrough and I didn't really know what I was doing and I forgot about the honey comb note :p I wasn't penniless but I was spending pretty much everything on repairs. On my next playthrough I think I will be a lot richer now I know where to make money.

Thats why I "modded" the perceantages value for sales. Currently, I set the value to 1/3 of the original so that, for example, for a bear hide you get only 8 coins instead of 24.

(Additionally, I also halved the XPs getting for quests to avoid over-leveling which is as anoying as the wealthiness...)

Which one is it? Can't find a modder with the name "zoss" on nexus :D

The amount of money my Geralt has by the end of my second playthrough on NG+ would make Emyhr green with envy. Hoping the expansions create new expensive things for us to spend on, like those rune/glyphword things. Heck, put in some Melitele priests and give Geralt the option to donate money or something

i think base things needs to be adjusted. Like for example instead of abundant Dwaren Spirit, they could make White Gull the only alcohol capable replenishing potions... this way, player would have to spend money buying ingredients to make White Gull... plus this would also increase difficulty for player as he could not replenish his potions without any issue like it is right now...

I really don't mind being filthy rich at the end of the game (over 150k crows usually on NG and double that on NG+). After more than 10 playthroughs I still feel the compulsion to pick everything and hoard gold, components and everything. I spend all I can in formulas, rune diagrams and rune crafting. Even if I don't need too, on the current playthrough I'm even worse, doing what I've never done before in the game. Entering all open doors I find and looting them all. I sell the booze since I (and my Geralt) don't drink and all the food except for liver, raw meat, honeycomb and water. And I still get mad when I sell some item by mistake and have to rebuy it for 10x more.

It's up to each one how to deal with it. One can simply drop all the hundreds of dwarven spirit, wolf's liver or any other stuff like parts and components, save/reload and they are all gone. Plus, provoke some guards and they will take all of your gold. If playing a poor witcher is how you like it, it's easy enough to do it.

(PS: While revisiting places and killing all monsters that dare to respawn and doing all quests/side quests I find, regardless of their order. This is the first run I'm using "all quests give xp" mod so I don't need to worry about grey quests which bugged me like hell in all previous runs. Now I can really take the time to explore everything.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom