My thoughts on the Cyberpunk 2077 launch and its current state

+
Hey everyone.

Its been a long time when I first was active on this forums. Witcher 3 was the reason and there were huge discussions about lack of content in some aspects of the game.
Now as a fanboy of CDPRs fantastic witcher games I also thought CP2077 will become a masterpiece too which doesnt seem to happen for some people after that disasteruous release.

Let me tell you about my thoughts here and why I think it will all be somewhat fine at the end:

First of all the bugs, glitches, crashes and performance stuff will all mostly be fixed. Its just a matter of time but even in Witcher 3 they even changed some of the UI and added alternative movement for Geralt. Such things are the reason why I think CP will have at least the same support. I think it will even get more support since its a project worked on for almost 8 years now. Better vehicle handling for example could be a thing I guess.

The false advertising is another point however. Most times they had the "work in progress" note in their videos which makes it clear that the final version can be different of what we see in the videos. However when I remember correctly there was this 48 minutes gameplay video where a lot of features has been presented and ended up replaced or deleted. I have never seen the possibility to destroy the environment with my pistol for example.

So regarding those features I wouldnt expect too much. Some of those would also change the whole gameplay and maybe even quest aspects which makes it hard to change them after release. At least thats what I think so we should keep our hope at a low level right now.

I played Battlefield V since its release now which is more than 2 years now and they had simillar problems. Changing the time to kill TWO TIMES and after months away of release without players to want it, cut content and bug included. No support for the BR Mode Firestorm anymore and so on. I know I compare a MP shooter with CP but at some levels its the same. After such a long time I dont think the developers are to blame for the state of the game. They give their best and sometimes their creativity is getting blocked by whoever. Even in such hard times with the corona shit its even harder. After such a long time working on this project all they want is to see all the positive feedback about their 8 years of work. And in only a hand full days the imagination of the game being a blast got destroyed. I cant even imagine how frustrating this must be.

I dont know who decided to release the game in its state and what was the reason to do so instead of delaying it to even the end of 2021 if needed. But what I think is that they will do what they can to bring the game as near as possible to the point it should be.

The false advertising is another point however. Most times they had the "work in progress"
My current theory is that it all was in the game.

But poor management and covid combined with 8 console ports plus many PC configs made the task of actually finishing the game on top of all that an impossibility. So features had to be cut.

Dynamic world? Cut. The world is very unreactive and its not a vital feature.
AI? Cut. Make cars drive on rails regardless of what is in the way. Sure, cars driving around obstacles isn't rare. But we never made this and the game had to be released 2 months ago.
Complex Police system? Cut slap in a band aid. They spawn behind you, nothing personal kid.
And so on... and so on...

The team was clearly proud, excited and passionate about what they had. You don't get that if the game was... this... there is a lot of attention to detail that stayed in the game but only stuff that wouldn't take that much dev time or was probably done before the final stretch of development that was gimped up.

Theres a lot more problems with it than just that, they were iterating UI and added lifepaths post 2018. Which is a bit late and with lifepaths you can tell they didn't manage to finish that either. An exhausted (due to prolonged crunch) and stressed team is probably not in any state to develop the game.

False advertising by accident, no excuse. But I feel heart broken for the devs.

The false advertising is another point however. Most times they had the "work in progress" note in their videos which makes it clear that the final version can be different of what we see in the videos. However when I remember correctly there was this 48 minutes gameplay video where a lot of features has been presented and ended up replaced or deleted. I have never seen the possibility to destroy the environment with my pistol for example.

This is a big problem indeed. We can all understand that some features could change but there are so much of them that just dissapeared. It feels wrong. The worst part is people asking for DLCs with those features. I can't even understand how it would be okay for us to accept to receive DLCs with features that were supposed to be in the game in the first place. It's like saying we're okay with having them releasing an unfinished product.

Hey everyone.

Its been a long time when I first was active on this forums. Witcher 3 was the reason and there were huge discussions about lack of content in some aspects of the game.
Now as a fanboy of CDPRs fantastic witcher games I also thought CP2077 will become a masterpiece too which doesnt seem to happen for some people after that disasteruous release.

Let me tell you about my thoughts here and why I think it will all be somewhat fine at the end:

First of all the bugs, glitches, crashes and performance stuff will all mostly be fixed. Its just a matter of time but even in Witcher 3 they even changed some of the UI and added alternative movement for Geralt. Such things are the reason why I think CP will have at least the same support. I think it will even get more support since its a project worked on for almost 8 years now. Better vehicle handling for example could be a thing I guess.

So regarding those features I wouldnt expect too much. Some of those would also change the whole gameplay and maybe even quest aspects which makes it hard to change them after release. At least thats what I think so we should keep our hope at a low level right now.

I played Battlefield V since its release now which is more than 2 years now and they had simillar problems. Changing the time to kill TWO TIMES and after months away of release without players to want it, cut content and bug included. No support for the BR Mode Firestorm anymore and so on. I know I compare a MP shooter with CP but at some levels its the same. After such a long time I dont think the developers are to blame for the state of the game. They give their best and sometimes their creativity is getting blocked by whoever. Even in such hard times with the corona shit its even harder. After such a long time working on this project all they want is to see all the positive feedback about their 8 years of work. And in only a hand full days the imagination of the game being a blast got destroyed. I cant even imagine how frustrating this must be.

I dont know who decided to release the game in its state and what was the reason to do so instead of delaying it to even the end of 2021 if needed. But what I think is that they will do what they can to bring the game as near as possible to the point it should be.
CDPR has to fix it, if they don't people will lose complete confident in them. To release CP in this state, that they have to pull it from PS store, is really bad. How they ended up thinking that it was a good idea to release it, i have no idea. Why they would even risk losing all the goodwill from gamers, shareholders etc. Especially when they kept saying that the game is ready when it's ready and then they release it when it's clearly not.

I wouldn't blame the developers at all, they are not the ones deciding when it should and shouldn't be released. And when management starts announcing release dates, they have sort of sealed the deal. Meaning that either they release it at that date or they will have to keep delaying it.

To me, if I had been CDPR I would have stuck to the "its ready when it's ready" and simply kept pushing the hype, they had a good thing going with the nightwire, which would have kept people entertained for a long time, while they fixed the game.

I still really enjoy CP as it is now, but then again I haven't run into that many game breaking bugs, but still it's obvious that the game is lacking a whole lot of features. If or when CDPR have fixed the majority of the bugs and have some breathing room for fine tuning it and flesh it out. This game have the potential to be an absolute perl amongst games as I see it. But it will require a lot of work to get there and CDPR has to push back on the multiplayer and expansions if you ask me. Get the main game running with the features that are lacking and then build upon that.

CDPR has to fix it, if they don't people will lose complete confident in them.
Many people lost complete confidence in them.

It's not super rare for this to be the case and a game to be fixed. The FFXIV devs handled it the best. They performed a bow and public apology on stage. They were truly apologetic for the state of their game, look it up. It's actually humbling cause they cared that much.

If for CDPR to fix CP2077 they need people to not lose complete confidence in them then quite frankly they don't deserve peoples confidence. It's something hard earned and easily lost, fixing the game is regaining said confidence.

Many people lost complete confidence in them.

It's not super rare for this to be the case and a game to be fixed. The FFXIV devs handled it the best. They performed a bow and public apology on stage. They were truly apologetic for the state of their game, look it up. It's actually humbling cause they cared that much.

If for CDPR to fix CP2077 they need people to not lose complete confidence in them then quite frankly they don't deserve peoples confidence. It's something hard earned and easily lost, fixing the game is regaining said confidence.
I haven't lost confident in them or the game to be honest, and I don't really care if they make a public apology or not, I just want them to fix the game. I do think they ought to apologize to the console people though, because that was a really crappy move to be honest.
But again, I enjoy it very much on par with Mass effect one, which I liked a lot as well. But I am disappointed with how they have handled this whole release and because they chose to follow in the same footsteps as many of the other big studios, which have done the same and also got the exact same bad feedback, so I just expected them to not only have learned from that, but also to not wanting to do it as well.

For me personally the misrepresentation of the game in several different ways is such a major issue. There's so many valid areas of problems that need to be addressed and I hope CDPR does the right thing.

we just have to wait for Cyberpunk 2
download (14).jpg

My current theory is that it all was in the game.

But poor management and covid combined with 8 console ports plus many PC configs made the task of actually finishing the game on top of all that an impossibility. So features had to be cut.

Dynamic world? Cut. The world is very unreactive and its not a vital feature.
AI? Cut. Make cars drive on rails regardless of what is in the way. Sure, cars driving around obstacles isn't rare. But we never made this and the game had to be released 2 months ago.
Complex Police system? Cut slap in a band aid. They spawn behind you, nothing personal kid.
And so on... and so on...

The theory actually makes sense. BUT it would be super sad if just because of the ps4 and xbox port we would lose so much amazing mechanics and aspects of the game.

I dont understand why they didnt just move the port for console to 2021 like rockstar many times did with gta for pc to have enough time to develop the port version.
Post automatically merged:

This is a big problem indeed. We can all understand that some features could change but there are so much of them that just dissapeared. It feels wrong. The worst part is people asking for DLCs with those features. I can't even understand how it would be okay for us to accept to receive DLCs with features that were supposed to be in the game in the first place. It's like saying we're okay with having them releasing an unfinished product.

Asking for the removed mechanics in DLCs is ridiculous. Those mechanics should be updated for free and updated to the game. Like Hello Games did with NMS. But the problem I see is that the lack of power from ps4 and xbox will make it impossible.

DLCs are for expansions like heart of stone and blood and whine like in witcher 3 not for cut content.

For me personally the misrepresentation of the game in several different ways is such a major issue. There's so many valid areas of problems that need to be addressed and I hope CDPR does the right thing.

Do you think the overhype by fans was one of those problems? Or do you think it was justified and they should have delivered what they promised?

BUT it would be super sad if just because of the ps4 and xbox port we would lose so much amazing mechanics and aspects of the game.
It's not because of the ports but the management staff at CDPR. There's been a history of employees speaking out against how bad at their job they are during W3 with some staff crunching for 3 years. A lot of staff members spoke about the management issues and conditions of working on CP2077 back in 2018 too.

Look at the state of the game now. That makes a lot of sense. I feel like I'm harping on a lot about it but CDPRs response to the management issues was quite frankly disgusting in that it was basically "thats how we do it here in CDPR /shrug" which gives me no confidence in them fixing the core issues. Gave them the benefit of the doubt with W3 but less so with CP2077 crunch (entirely a management failure) problems. But with the abysmal state of CP2077 hard to.

The company is being carried by the amazing work, dedication and passion of the rest of the team. They're great but theres only so far that can carry.

To me, if I had been CDPR I would have stuck to the "its ready when it's ready" and simply kept pushing the hype, they had a good thing going with the nightwire, which would have kept people entertained for a long time, while they fixed the game.

I still really enjoy CP as it is now, but then again I haven't run into that many game breaking bugs, but still it's obvious that the game is lacking a whole lot of features. If or when CDPR have fixed the majority of the bugs and have some breathing room for fine tuning it and flesh it out. This game have the potential to be an absolute perl amongst games as I see it. But it will require a lot of work to get there and CDPR has to push back on the multiplayer and expansions if you ask me. Get the main game running with the features that are lacking and then build upon that.

On PC its indeed enjoyable. Problem I see for me is how long will it entertain me personally. I see the sidequests and amazing main story but aside of that it feels like being unpolished in many ways. Customization, gunplay and balancing to name a few.

I agree with the nightwire content. They could also just show us the most funny bugs and glitches that right now are being spammed on reddit to make it clear for us that we wont enjoy the game in its current state. If people see all the problems they wouldnt say "RELEASE finally!" but rather "Okay delay for another couple of months".

It's not because of the ports but the management staff at CDPR. There's been a history of employees speaking out against how bad at their job they are during W3 with some staff crunching for 3 years. A lot of staff members spoke about the management issues and conditions of working on CP2077 back in 2018 too.

Look at the state of the game now. That makes a lot of sense. I feel like I'm harping on a lot about it but CDPRs response to the management issues was quite frankly disgusting in that it was basically "thats how we do it here in CDPR /shrug" which gives me no confidence in them fixing the core issues. Gave them the benefit of the doubt with W3 but less so with CP2077 crunch (entirely a management failure) problems. But with the abysmal state of CP2077 hard to.

The company is being carried by the amazing work, dedication and passion of the rest of the team. They're great but theres only so far that can carry.

I wouldnt say the port doesnt play its role in that disaster but a part aswell. Crunch on the other hand will be indeed another reason. I can imagine many people getting sick and depressive because of that which ends up in less quality and passion for the game.

The time we live in is really hard but also interesting because a lot of those management problems get more attention. Ubisoft with the sexism and racism problems too. It seems like many people start raising their voices to finally see a change. We should support that.

Last edited:
Do you think the overhype by fans was one of those problems? Or do you think it was justified and they should have delivered what they promised?

The overhype definitely had an impact on people expectations but let's be honnest they also underdelivered quite a bit. Look at the story threads on this forums and you'll see there are plenty of other fundamental problems with the game. A big part of it is due to the fact that this is a game made by CDPR. If the game was published or developped by EA people wouldn't be as surpsised/mad imo.

I wouldnt say the port doesnt play its role in that disaster but a part aswell. Crunch on the other hand will be indeed another reason.
Aye. Both are management messing up however. Good management staff would ensure they had time to work on the ports and not end up crunching.

Would be fine and somewhat excusable if it was a first but its really not for CDPR. Meaning they didn't do nearly enough after the issues they had with W3. Especially since things turned out a lot worse. Personally I can let a lot pass, I have some trust in CDPR that they will fix the game. But I have little to none that they will fix the problems in their revolving door of a studio. That's the one thing they seemed to very casually brush off every time it was mentioned in public statements. I still kinda hope they prove me wrong.

I love what there is of CP2077 theres tons of good stuff there and the effort devs put in is obvious. Just not enough time to finish any of it.

I don't blame fans for anything that I personally expected from the game but I think to some small degree it's fair to say that fans overhyping the game played a role in disappointment. However, considering the amount of money spent on the games marketing etc, the fact the celebrities were brought in and social media influencers were put into game....CDPR did the exact opposite of slowing the hype train. They threw nuclear coal into that trains engine.

So yes, CDPR should have delivered. I'm not even saying they should have delivered perfection but far far better than what they did. Far far far better.

Game should have been in development for at least one more year. I hope CDPR work on the base game as the state of it is just Alpha version, focus on this before you focus on DLC and Multiplayer please. The Devs obviously had a lot of pressure and internal management was forced to play certain hands that they should have folded, fear of backlash and even so far as fanatical threats caused this rush to release. At this point and time I enjoy Cyberpunk 2077 and can see the potential for it to be one of the greatest RPG games of the modern era the mix of gta and borderlands style gameplay meet dying light mechanics and crafting, add in the CDPR touch we love and you get Cyberpunk 2077. Since the nail has hit the coffin it's time for CDPR to take their Frankenstein and make it the best it was meant to be, again focus on the base game, rework and fix it first and foremost over the production on DLC and Multiplayer. If they do this and then flesh out DLC and Multiplayer after then we will not need to worry about those as much. I will not refund to continue to get analytical data from my gameplay to the Devs to increase the overall quality and submit feedback throughout these trying times. Have a Happy Holidays to all and be safe and healthy. To the devs who spent countless hours busting their asses to get this out to a somewhat enjoyable experience per story thank you.

Hey everyone.

You should stick with CDPR as theyre a top developer who arent monopolist bastards like EA. There game is amazing. Literally they made one of the best games ever and some kids posted a few bugs now the whole internet is out with pitchforks they need to get a life

Top Bottom