My thoughts on the latest card changes

+
The changes you see are steps to try and make the game fairer and more fun, so once you see more of the cards hopefully you'll feel the same :)

I don't want to sound harsh, but then make interesting cards and mechanics, don't destroy one of the fundamental elements that made Gwent so fun and original CCG for so many people - NO card draws apart from Northern Realms Ability and Spies.

It was like that because, on most of those (not all of them) players had no idea how it all works and most of those matches were just going head to head in droping cards until they had no left. Second thing is that everyone played with the same decks, thats why most of the matches were very close. Also how decks were made for those tests was a big factor since they were like super simple with alot of non-ability cards etc.

Thats not true at all, among those people were people who make videos about Gwent, so they know the game very well. It is gonna happen. You will not get into third round with many cards, the impact of that draw will be significant. Bottom line is, Gwent is changing into more luck based game which is something i don't like or enjoy.

I'm defending that drawing mechanic because for me its just more fun to play. .

Its fun for you but for example its no fun for me. I'm sure making some OP cards would be fun for someone. Let's not make Gwent just fun to play cause it just make it shallow. It was fun to play in the first place thats why its going to be stand alone game.

There is a post where people are voting for or against drawing mechanics go and check it out.

Last edited:
Its fun for you but for example its no fun for me. I'm sure making some OP cards would be fun for someone. Let's not make Gwent just fun to play cause it just make it shallow. It was fun to play in the first place thats why its going to be stand alone game.

Thats why i said like fkn 10 times already that we should just find a compromise (But you chosed not to quote that part) and not go with "I dont like it and fk what others may like". I also said it few times that we (all) came with at least 5 ideas already how to change that mechanic so its less RNG.

It was fun to play in the first place thats why its going to be stand alone game.

First Gwent was totaly different game. The way how spy crads worked (where you were drawing more than 3 random cards per game, muuuuch more). And your saying that it was fun. Well it was ofcourse, thats why i played hundreds of matches (both with real peoples and AI).

Also good job with quoting like half of my sentence lol

---------- Updated at 11:13 AM ----------

Thats not true at all, among those people were people who make videos about Gwent, so they know the game very well. It is gonna happen. You will not get into third round with many cards, the impact of that draw will be significant. Bottom line is, Gwent is changing into more luck based game which is something i don't like or enjoy.

But its ALREADY a luck based game. You'll get bad draw than you are fked no matter how genious u are in gwent. And instead of going like "fk you, my way is the best" we should find a compromise between non-draw and darning mechanic. Find a way where we could keep as many positives from both as possible with as less RNG involved as possible.

Last edited:
But its ALREADY a luck based game. You'll get bad draw than you are fked no matter how genious u are in gwent. And instead of going like "fk you, my way is the best" we should find a compromise between non-draw and darning mechanic. Find a way where we could keep as many positives from both as possible with as less RNG involved as possible.

If its luck based game dont make it even more luck dependent game. Problem is I havent seen in @Rethas statements nothing about compromise. Its like its all settled.

If its luck based game dont make it even more luck dependent game. Problem is I havent seen in @Rethas statements nothing about compromise. Its like its all settled.

Nothing is final my friend trust me on that one. We are like super far from even a beta. Thats why we should discuss here on a forum. But in a creative way, not going back and forth.

Look, I already sugessted the idea with changeing that drawing mechanic into that new spy mechanic = RNG aspect lowered, still keeps excitement of drawingf more cards.

You came with idea on makeing an extra draw deck inside normal deck which could be drawed after initial draw with 1 redraw. And i really liked that idea = RNG aspect lowered even more, you can plan ur tactics since the begining of the game, still keeps excitement of drawingf more cards.

Someone came with idea of drawing cards only in second round. I like this one also. But combining it with those 2 above = RNG aspect lowered much more, you can plan ur tactics since the begining of the game, still keeps excitement of drawingf more cards. Gameplay gets even deeper. Its overall more fun. More cards in play, more important the whole deck is comparing to random hand only.

Now lets compare those ideas to "Main" suggestion of those who dont want drawing cards which is "make 2 seperate game modes"... Well i'm ok with that. If they would chose to go with something like is above i would 100% go that way. But why should we split playerbase. If that the way players want to go than i'm ok with that.

Nothing is final my friend trust me on that one. We are like super far from even a beta. Thats why we should discuss here on a forum. But in a creative way, not going back and forth.

I hope its not final decision about cards draw but I would like to hear someone from CD Projekt saying ok you don't like it so what's your idea? But they are like we are trying to make this game "fun" so deal with it.

About spies imo they make good attempt in the first try making spies disloyal and stronger then average cards make people think twice before they play it.

I hope its not final decision about cards draw but I would like to hear someone from CD Projekt saying ok you don't like it so what's your idea? But they are like we are trying to make this game "fun" so deal with it.

I think that will happen when beta will launch. Sice thats why we have a beta for, not server test.

About spies imo they make good attempt in the first try making spies disloyal and stronger then average cards make people think twice before they play it.

Agree with this one, spies were good the old way. There were even some good tactics involved spies. Like playing them as scorch shield for your own units or playing them to scorch them to review them with caretaker for example.

I think with so many variations of each card (for example few medic type cards with slightly different ability) ability icons are pointless since we need to read our cards description anyway. So with all those variations of 1 type of ability we would have like 10 icons just for medic. Whitout icons all the cards looks just simply cleaner.

I think it would be enough to have "icon categories". For example:
No icons = No ability
Then we have different icon categories, like:
- Rally icon
- Pull card from graveyard icon
- Pull card from deck icon
- Increased STR value if multiple cards of the same type are on the battlefield icon (forgot the ability name)
- buffing other cards in row icon
- increased STR value with weather effect icon
- etc

We do not need to know the details - meaning there can be slight variations (like +1 instead of +2 or the limitation of not being applicable to gold units) that you can only read from the description - all we need to know from the icon is the GENERAL effect. Let me make my point. I think the main argument here is that once you know a card the icons will help you to recognize and recall their effects better and at a quick glance instead of going into the description. What you need to know - at a glance - is the general effect category that the card will have (give you additional card, strengthens other units, has bonus for weather, etc, etc)

As for draws, you all know my opinion. First I though reducing the "draw after round 1" from 2 cards to 1 would be a good idea, but I think the best idea is to just remove the draw before the last (3rd) round, it keeps both round 1 as well as round 3 very relevant while allowing round 2 the benefit of being more dynamic by drawing 2 additional cards before it.

Last edited:
Cards with ability icons looks more holistically. And visual component is very important part of attracting people. I think CDP RED just did't have time to do them.

Last edited:
I think it would be enough to have "icon categories". For example:
No icons = No ability
Then we have different icon categories, like:
- Rally icon
- Pull card from graveyard icon
- Pull card from deck icon
- Increased STR value if multiple cards of the same type are on the battlefield icon (forgot the ability name)
- buffing other cards in row icon
- increased STR value with weather effect icon
- etc

We do not need to know the details - meaning there can be slight variations (like +1 instead of +2 or the limitation of not being applicable to golf units) that you can only read from the description - all we need to know from the icon is the GENERAL effect. Let me make my point. I think the main argument here is that once you know a card the icons will help you to recognize and recall their effects better and at a quick glance instead of going into the description. What you need to know - at a glance - is the general effect category that the card will have (give you additional card, strengthens other units, has bonus for weather, etc, etc)

As for draws, you all know my opinion. First I though reducing the "draw after round 1" from 2 cards to 1 would be a good idea, but I think the best idea is to just remove the draw before the last (3rd) round, it keeps both round 1 as well as round 3 very relevant while allowing round 2 the benefit of being more dynamic by drawing 2 additional cards before it.

+1

The challenge lies in the symmetrical nature. Targeting mechanics and the ability to strip gold status or interact with it is just the same old TCG tropes we've seen before. You don't have to ability to guarantee things anymore b/c the gold status can be removed either way, so putting down 15 STR Geralt Gold to be able to scorch the following turn because the opponent had a 12 STR non-gold isn't a fool proof gameplan.

I think it's a mistake to suggest that complexity means greater strategy. These are simply two versions of the game that require different strategy. In my mind, the consistent symmetrical approach to the game was inherently balanced and something we don't usually see in CCGs, which I enjoy. That said, of all the new changes, I am open to changing how Gold cards work more than I am drawing cards between rounds. We haven't seen enough cards to write off the new Gold card changes, or deck building changes (I do like the new bronze, silver, gold special cards).

I'm open, but remain skeptical. What appeals to me as a player the most was the symmetry of the game, meaning that your best card could, at times, be your worst card because of the board state. Being able to interact with Gold cards removes the certainty of a lot of that, which is different and currently not my taste. But, we'll see. And, I think we shouldn't undervalue easier entry level that still preserves good gameplay.

I am open to changing how Gold cards work more than I am drawing cards between rounds. We haven't seen enough cards to write off the new Gold card changes, or deck building changes (I do like the new bronze, silver, gold special cards).

I think the simple rule should be "your Gold hero cards can ONLY be hurt by other gold heroes" . Simple. Easy to understand. Situational enough.

And that is how it works now - only GOLD can interact with GOLD but GOLD can target non gold also :)

Any plans to change witchers? Cos right now there are a little bit weak because they are all silver characters which means they will take 3 slots in your deck. Thats huge disadvantage

Any plans to change witchers? Cos right now there are a little bit weak because they are all silver characters which means they will take 3 slots in your deck. Thats huge disadvantage

I'd say make Vesemir Silver and the other two Bronze. But then again, we have to limit Witchers to 1 per deck because having 3 Lamberts on the field is just stupid.

They could use some serious buff to make them playable .. They're frost targets

IMO Eskel should be 9, Lambert and Vesamir could be 6-7

They could use some serious buff to make them playable .. They're frost targets

IMO Eskel should be 9, Lambert and Vesamir could be 6-7

It's kind of strange. On the one hand I'd say make them gold, but then you have too many gold cards and I don't think they are powerful enough to be gold cards.
Agreed on Eskel because he is the best out of the 3, Vesemir is getting old and Lambert is still green (is the youngest).
Not sure what to do about the frost.
You could give the Witchers a passive weather resistance ("less effected by weather"), but not sure how you would balance this.

Top Bottom