My thoughts on the seasonal mode (cat) format

+
so... I've had a few cracks at the seasonal mode - basically, players swap hands every turn - and although I was initially intrigued, I quickly realized that it's only a good/fun idea in theory. The problem is (1) after the first turn, you're going to know the other player's hand, which takes much of the strategy/speculation out of the match, and this is compounded by (2), the hand swapping continues after a player passes, which means that the active opponent can just play out all the remaining cards, effectively removing any strategic advantage passing can have. The only way (in my mind) this format can work is if the swapping is done from round to round (whereby you play your hand round 1, your opponent's round 2, and your own again round 3), rather than every turn.

Furthermore, if the rationale behind this format is to provide a mode in which players can more quickly familiarize themselves with the IJ expansion cards, that can be done by simply making the arena decks entirely composed of IJ expansion units or some variation thereof.
Post automatically merged:

eh, i dunno. its interesting. While you know your oppents hand, they have that same information on you. It takes some strategy out but adds a layer of it. Do you play a card from your opponents hand thats worth a lot of points, or disrupt their startegy by burning a combo card? Making your hand playable, but not too good. It forces you to make your cards work with your leader, because the leader is the only edge you have. Plus, when else is (formerly) unseen's elder ability gonna win 100 times?
I don't like the card advantage thing though. It kinda forces 2:0 situations, because i don't have the brainpower to figure out who will have which hand on what turn, especially since you can end with the oppents hand

Top Bottom