My unpopular opinion on the Witcher 3 map size

+
@JasonShepard
I agree to a degree,and that is the exact reason why its one of the best in recent memory...but its main story-line had vary bad pacing...the beginning was slow,the last 3rd of the game feels rushed...TW2 on the other hand had much better pacing imo(not that it didnt have its fair share of preblems).

Off-topic:There is one thing that i would like the game to have,and thats is more randomness.I would like if Nilfgaardian and Redanian patrols,and that they would interact with each other and the wild(animals,monsters,bandits)

I greatly prefer TW3 open world. The restricted world in Witcher 2 was one of the only gripes I had with it. So many places I wished I could explore but could not because of the small locations.

I've enjoyed both, and each seems to serve the function of the game they are showing. Really, Witcher 3 to me feels like a larger version of Witcher 2 where I can go back to an environment again and again. I know in Witcher 2 I would have loved:

On Iorveth's Path, to save the Women, then be able to return to Flotsam and kill Loredo for his crimes. But I could never let them die just to get a chance at Loredo's head.

For the people that don't like fast travel, don't use it, it's as simple as this. Only use it when you have to, for zone to zone travel.

You don't even need to use Signpost fast travel for that if you don't want to do so. Examples:

If you are in Skellige, sail to the eastern edge of the map and when you get the "Devil" message, go to the Harbor (Anchor icon) at Novigrad, Coast of Wrecks or Blackbough. You just "sailed" from Skellige to the mainland.

If going from Velen to White Orchard, walk/ride east on the road from the Nilfgaardian Group Center and use the Devil message to show up near the mill. You just "rode" to White Orchard.

I think the only real shame about the bigger maps is that you do lose the sense of hand crafted detail you got in the W2. W3 has lots of just vast empty land and sea that they did their best to fill with treasures and monsters to make it worth exploring but it wasn't quite as gritty and living as say the forest outside of Flotsam, that felt like it had a beating heart. I explored the map of w3 for quests and treasure, I explored the map of w2 just to see what I could find.

I have no problem with the map sizes per se, I have however a problem with the fact, that the maps are full of glitches and problems because they are so large, that they couldn't be designed as thoroughly as they should be. So even with 1.10 there are misplaced textures and objects EVERYWHERE. You can't go for like 1 or 2 minutes in any given direction without seeing "hovering" trees, gaps in textures and so on.

I think the only real shame about the bigger maps is that you do lose the sense of hand crafted detail you got in the W2. W3 has lots of just vast empty land and sea that they did their best to fill with treasures and monsters to make it worth exploring but it wasn't quite as gritty and living as say the forest outside of Flotsam, that felt like it had a beating heart. I explored the map of w3 for quests and treasure, I explored the map of w2 just to see what I could find.

True. I mean, yea, CDPR did better with their open world then many other companies have in the last couple of years, but for a story driven RPG, an open world will always be inferior choice... at least with the technical limitations we still face today.

I have no problem with the map sizes per se, I have however a problem with the fact, that the maps are full of glitches and problems because they are so large, that they couldn't be designed as thoroughly as they should be. So even with 1.10 there are misplaced textures and objects EVERYWHERE. You can't go for like 1 or 2 minutes in any given direction without seeing "hovering" trees, gaps in textures and so on.

There must be something serious wrong with your installation because the really fine thing is Witcher 3 is open world but has very few to almost none graphic bugs.
I really have a fine eye for glitches like for example hoovering trees and plants in thin air a meter above the ground, missing textures and other unnatural stuff like that when virtual wandering around in nature. I notice things like that on instant.
And I must say when riding around with Roach or walking around there are no graphics errors or glitches anywhere.
Far Cry 4 had indeed some hoovering misplaced trees, but Witcher 3 has no graphic glitches at all (except a wood cutter saw floating in mid air next to one of the Walls at Dandylions Club in Novigrad).
That`s the most impressive part - such a huge open world but still so fine and lovely hand-crafted graphics and no glitches visible.

Yes the woods in Witcher 2 for example around Flotsam looked better and more mysterious and fantasy-like because the trees were very much higher and gigantic and therefore more impressive with way more dense and gnarled branches and millions of leafes and all the trees were over 10 meters high with a closed tree canopy and you were unable to see the sky most of the time and therefore you really had the feeling of being "inside" a forest, and therefore the forests looked way more beautyful and mystical than Witcher 3.
Witcher 2 had these ancient looking Fantasy Movie or jungle-like sequoia like trees and Canadian flair. While Witcher 3 has more realistic and Central/Southern Europaen style small trees.

It`s a design difference of the vegetation style which made Witcher 2 look like more dense and impressive and wild and mysterious and jungle like while Witcher 3 has the common vegetation you see in nature when you look out of your window.
But the areas in Witcher 2 were so small and limited and Geralt always needed to follow narrow paths, everything was so small and it was no real exploration - that is the problem.

Witcher 2 Forests were reeeeally impressive, the trees seem to be 15-20 meters high with dense tree canopy and almost no sunlight on the ground just like in real forests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igJFh5nK0C8

Witcher 3 Forest doesn`t feel like a mysterious and fantasy-style jungle like dense forest anymore, it`s all small maybe 4-5 meter high trees with lots of space between them and no closed tree canopy and you always can see the sky. It beautyful and wonderful but the trees are too small and therefore it doesn`t feel the same, it`s not that fantasy-mysterious and atmospheric with fear of getting lost in a jungle-like fantasy Wallpaper forest who gives you the fear of the unknown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d0rpytDxos

And that`s the only thing I don`t like in Witcher 3 and where I prefer Witcher 2, the design difference of the forests.
The whole open world in Witcher 3 is truly awesome and alive and beautyful, but I still miss these jungle-like fantasy feeling of W2 because the vegetation is not that big and impressive and mysterious and superdense anymore in W3.
But open world is way better than narrow paths and small levels because you can do whatever you want, explore whereever you want, and there is no need to follow waypoints and when trying to leave waypoints and make some exploration on your own you don`t always run into invisible walls and level limitations everywhere.
Open world is way better and offers the best gameplay possible - but the disadvantage is it can sometimes be a little bit generic-looking in some places.

Attachments

• Vergleich.jpg
    Vergleich.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 188
If anything I feel Witcher 2's maps were insanely small. Everything felt like it was on rails, because everything was confined paths and whenever you venture out, you have a purpose, i.e. a quest from the main area/camp. If anything, I'd like to see bigger maps with the same level (or more) than TW3. That way there is much more wandering to do.

I think the problem people keep having is they keep taking every single quest that is available whenever they visit somewhere, then they get overwhelmed at the amount of quests they have...its like eating a shit-ton of cake, and then feeling sick after...because you ate too much cake. In real life, you wouldn't tell 40 people you'll do something for them, and then never do any of it. I think if people only took a few quests at a time, they'd be better off. Dare I say, I'd like to see a feature where you have X in game days to complete something for someone before the quest fails, because they think you abandoned them and won't come back...that would prevent people from taking all sorts of crap.

I've played A LOT of open-world games and I can honestly say that the open world of The Witcher 3 is by far the best and most enjoyable I've experienced.
Really can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077 that is reported to be much bigger even.

The BIGGER the BETTER!!!

Yea can't wait for that to come out too. But if Cyberpunk's map size is bigger, that means squat to me if it doesn't have a great story like W3 did. W3 set the standard for what I expect now. But I did enjoy the bigger maps in W3 over W2. I never tried W1.

The Witcher 3 being an open-world added nothing to the game (no, I do mean NOTHING). If anything, it binded the artists, writers and quest designers hands who had to pour loads and loads of filler content into to the game world and naturaly it all ended up being shallow and forgettable.
Skyrim fans be damned, The Witcher 3 should have been a hub based game.

There must be something serious wrong with your installation because the really fine thing is Witcher 3 is open world but has very few to almost none graphic bugs.

No it isn't and yes it has massive amounts of bugs everywhere.

Just as a small example:

https://youtu.be/Nb0KYeVJHyA?t=55m17s

The candles on the table "hover", even though they are very prominent in the cut scene and almost in the center of the screen.

There are tons of things like that in the world as well as Ciri's "Dancing Dagger" as another example.

Last edited:

---------- Updated at 06:43 PM ----------

Not everyone who has played this game, has encountered bugs you know. Ive played since release and have had one noticable bug, which was the merchants walking like Adolf Hitler.

Never had a CTD or any drop in FPS. I suspect the majority of bugs in this game are user related.

Not everyone who has played this game, has encountered bugs you know. Ive played since release and have had one noticable bug, which was the merchants walking like Adolf Hitler.

Never had a CTD or any drop in FPS. I suspect the majority of bugs in this game are user related.

And you would be wrong, why else would we be on version 1.11 with dozens of pages of bug fixes since release by now?

I didn't had a catastrophic plot stopper, but a lot of other people had those as well (like the bug on Undvik) and it isn't their fault.

Those glitches in the world exist, they are caused by sloppy placement of elements in the world and are visible on every computer because they were - by accident - designed to be that way. If you haven't seen them it only means, you don't look at details, which is actually a good thing when playing TW3.

And you would be wrong, why else would we be on version 1.11 with dozens of pages of bug fixes since release by now?

I didn't had a catastrophic plot stopper, but a lot of other people had those as well (like the bug on Undvik) and it isn't their fault.

Those glitches in the world exist, they are caused by sloppy placement of elements in the world and are visible on every computer because they were - by accident - designed to be that way. If you haven't seen them it only means, you don't look at details, which is actually a good thing when playing TW3.

Im not saying, that they arnt bugs in the game, but the amount also depends on the individuals PC. Not all bugs are the fault of the developer (and im talking about graphical bugs, not quest). But to that end, me personally, I have encountered zero bugs for quests and one graphical glitch. No crashes and no fps drop (constantly 60)

I guess im just lucky i suppose, but im not the only one playing this game, who had practically no problems either.

The question is: Aren't they there or are you just not seeing them? ;)

How would I miss quest related bugs?? Im playing the game lol.

Im a game completionist, always have been. I look everywhere and loot everything. I may not notice the little shitty minor graphic bugs, that I couldnt give a toss about, but the major graphical bugs that other people have had. Ive had none.

For me its still thrilling to know, that you can see novigrad from a tower in the south of velen and can even ride all the way to it. This really pushes the immersion for me. These small HUBs should only be used for DLCs, to tell an isolated storyline.

How would I miss quest related bugs?? Im playing the game lol.

Im a game completionist, always have been. I look everywhere and loot everything. I may not notice the little shitty minor graphic bugs, that I couldnt give a toss about, but the major graphical bugs that other people have had. Ive had none.

Optical bugs...jeez...

A map like the swamp in witcher 2 takes a lot of time to make, lots of custom work.

A map like the witcher 3 can mostly be made with landscape tools as long as it's standard items.

I like both and if I had to choose I'd pick Witcher 3's style because at the end of the day it's a bigger world with more in it, and let's not forget the horse. They needed a big world for the horse.

But they could have had more really dark and cramped caverns and crypts, I would have liked that. I would have loved a unmarked crypt with no mission or name and you go down it for 2h and find more strange things as you go. That's the kind of stuff I love.

couldnt agree more!! more crypts pitch dark like the one in the dwarven ruins in witcher 2

Top Bottom