My Witcher virginity!

+
I was at an Elder Scrolls forum reading some sort of "Other Good Games to Play" thread and someone said The Witcher is pretty cool so I looked into it, found a demo, eagerly waited for the shops to open so I could go get a copy.

When did you first encounter the Witcher game?I was petsitting in 2007 for a friend of mine who had a ripped copy of the original Witcher release on his pc. I had a nasty cold and didn't feel up to an fps or anything that required two-handed involvement, but I couldn't sleep either. Fortunately, TW has a mouse-only option. I was hooked from the intro, long loading times and short dialogue notwithstanding. The cats and dogs were also happy since they could lie on top of me reclining in a comfy chair--ooh the Spanish Inquisition.Had you read the books before?No, but I have read five of them since finishing the game. I read English and German, so I have access to both of the short story collections and the first three novels. I like them very much and can also recommend Sapkowski's Narrenturm trilogy set during the Hussite Wars (not in English, sadly).What were your first impressions when you first got onto it?I loved the intro and thought, "Wow, that cgi movement doesn't look idiotically gravity-defying." I loved the prologue and thought, "This story has a lot more depth than I was expecting. This guy isn't really a blank slate, and I get to uncover an identity instead of pull one out of thin air." I really loved the soundtrack, and I was very glad that I could play by twitching a mouse because I was so sick that it hurt to move or even sit up properly. I don't play mouse-only now, but it was nice at the time.The real test of how quickly I got into the game, though, was that I didn't even notice the long loading times (on the original version) until I was somewhere in the swamp village in act 3.

I should probably add that I have purchased TW EE twice since playing the original version--my friend rips games, but I prefer supporting good game devs.Thanks for all the fun, CDPR. :peace:

When did you first encounter the Witcher game?My ex partner bought the game about 6 months before we split up. i didnt pay much attention to it at first - was too busy playing everquest 2 - but then one day I happened to be watching as the intro movie played. I was pretty much mesmerised! After that, i tried to install the game on my computer but of course it wouldn't work because of stupid vista, so I just contented myself with watching my ex play the game instead. Then I found out there was a book about Geralt, so I ordered it and read it in one evening, loving pretty much every word of it. Of course, about four months after that my relationship failed. When I moved back with my family, I invested in a better graphics card and swapped over to windows XP. I'm now on about my tenth play through of the game and its still just as awesome as it was when i first played it! I have the original limited edition box set and the enhanced edition, and will definitely be buying the witcher 2 when it comes out.Had you read the books before?Nope - something I rectified as soon as I could. Unfortunately I only speak english so I've only had the chance to read the last wish and blood of elves - both of which I thoroughly enjoyed, although I found the blood of elves was hard going in places and has an overpowering aura of sadness about it which is a litlte disconcerting. Also, I think Geralt needs a hug - the poor guy seems seriously miserable in blood of elves and I hear that he only gets worse in the rest of the series!What were your first impressions when you first got onto it?WOW! Nuff said ;) ;D Its pretty sad that Geralt is the only male I have ever had a crush on - that goes for living, breathing men as well as fictional characters. pathetic really!

Quintonir said:
Everyone loves reminiscing. Over good things at least, and any who says their first experience of The Witcher is not a good experience is clearly a fool.Now onto the main point of this thread: I'm experiencing my first proper PC game (other than Total Wars), and that first is The Witcher: EE. I want you all to recollect your first Witcher experience. I don't really remember the very first encounter. I only heard about this...I don't even know. I heard about Rise of the White Wolf somewhere, died inside when I found out it wasn't coming to console for a while, then looked into the Witcher..umm...chronicles(?). Unfortunately, I don't think many have been translated into English, but I own the ones that I know have been. "Holy Christ they're good books." I thought, and read them with relish. Salsa, not delight. So, like I said, I eventually decided to buy the game and I figured the updated version would be a good place to start. So here I am!Summary:When did you first encounter the Witcher game?How?Had you read the books before?What were your first impressions when you first got onto it?Enjoy the memories.Take care, all.
I almost stopped reading at the first line as I don't think it's anybody's business to call another player a fool simply because they don't have the same opinion of a video game, however since I read through it, I'll still respond and be the fool I guess.When did you first encounter the Witcher game?How? I first encountered the game when it was first released.

When did you first encounter the Witcher game?A while ago, I don't remember the exact day.How?My younger sister has a friend called Geralt & I told him once that he has a nice name & where his parents came up with it so he says that it's from some book called The Witcher. I went out to get the books & I did read The Last Wish before I played the game. So I heard there was a game of it & got the game. Had you read the books before?See above.What were your first impressions when you first got onto it?It was fantastic & still remains a favourite game of mine.

Kuplo, it's nice to see you returned to the forum to check if anything has changed in a way you may like the game :wave: The first Witcher game is finished, there won't be any changes anymore. The freedom of moving is restricted to the Bioware engine. CDPR is aware of this complaint from the players. That's why the developed their own engine for TW2 to enable all those things which weren't possible in TW1. There is no info available yet what in detail means all those things which weren't possible in TW1 but I think this will concern the mobility ;)

I had the game for almost a year and a half before even loading it. I got it as a free gift with an MSI video card I purchased. Since I only played shooters at the time (UT,Quake,etc) I had never even really heard of the witcher and didn't really care. One day I was bored with the ssdd, and was looking through my game bag and come across the Witcher dvd. I thought hmm, maybe I'll load it and see what it's about. From the opening sequence I was hooked. Now I rarely play fps's anymore. This game is like crack cocaine. Once you get drawn in, it's impossible to stop! In a way I'm glad it took so long for me to discover it. At least I will not have been be waiting as long for the seqel as most of you guys, lol

1 My first encounter with The Witcher, on a forum, a fan of Fallout 3 said he hated The Witcher. I immediatly said to myself, fine this might be the game I will love... Sorry for Fallout 3 but it is typically what I dont like in so called new rpg. A good idea, good graphics, good music but at the end, stupid and irrealistic game mechanisms and simplistic storyline.2 How, I just answered it. But basically, a colleague bought it for me in France and brought it here in Africa as the latest games available in the local multimedia store is something like Gothic 1.3 Not read the books.4 First impressions, I did not like too much the introduction in the fortress. It was not very interesting. However, immediatly I arrived in the suburb of Wyzima, I liked it. The atmosphere, the stories which intersected, it was addicting. It reminds me of Baldur`s Gate series.

When did you first encounter the Witcher game?I first encountered the game by coming across some youtube video of these crazy polish guys making a game based on the NWN engine and featuring a Fantasy character I had never heard of...but one based on a series of books. I first played it In demo form about the time the game first came out.How?I always look for new RPG's to play and I love the NWN games, so I think I just stumbled across the video. When it came out I dled the demo.Had you read the books before?Nope, still haven't. Would like to... I hear that there is an english translation out of one of them now.What were your first impressions when you first got onto it?HOnestly? "Wow I love the way everything looks, the voice acting (In english) is a big weak, How the heck do I *fight* things? Wow detailed clothing and armor... Why am I getting killed?"Of course I learned that the fighting is kind of rhythm based and worked my way through the demo. It was 2 and something years before I actually bought the game, however. I did just purchase it off the Steam holiday sell and am enjoying the game greatly. I am looking at purchasing the english language version of the book(s), though I will probably wait until I get a Kindle. I am looking forward to TW2 as well, though I still haven't completed this game. (Yah I'm still on Act 1 :) I take my time with games...)

I found out about the game 1 or 2 years ago. My impressions on it? I love it!!! I have played the game several times and cannot get enough of it, it never gets out. I actually plan on starting a new game of it tonight. :) Yes I have heard about the book, I have not read it however, but I probably will someday.

When did you first encounter the Witcher game?YouTube, I saw couple of videos from gameplay and find it very interesting, the music was first thing what I noticed.How?I'm FPS player or I was, the only FPS I play right now is Battlefield 2 online.My knowledge about RPG was big level zero, now it is on level 1 :teeth:The Witcher was 1st RPG game I ever played (and I assume my gaming turning point) after that I've played Fallout 3, Mass Effect now I'm in Dragon Age which is super hard game for unskilled RPG player like me, because it has different approach/mechanics or whatever.Now I'm eagerly waiting for Mass Effect 2 and The Witcher 2I have unopened Gothic 3 waiting to be played, but of all above mentioned game The Witcher sits on the TOP no doubt.Had you read the books before?No, I didn't read any of the books, never heard about it before the game, but after completing game I bought "The Last Wish" - "Poslednja Želja" for my friend as a birthday present.Hopefully I will buy one copy for me.What were your first impressions when you first got onto it?Honestly I was bored... new type of the game, can't find nothing familiar, bunch of quest just popping, what the hell is activating quests... Alchemy? What? What I'm gonna do with alchemy?? It was very confusing especially in Kaer Morhen when game is introducing controls etc.When I leave from Kaer Morhen the game slowly pulls me in and to my luck I found Manual.pdf in game directory which helps me alot, please make a printed manual for TW2.After reading manual game takes my breath, the music had biggest impact on me but I must admit that whole concept of the game is brilliant starting with story and all mature content like drinking, fist fighting, gambling etc beautifully crafted into the game followed by outstanding music and very nice graphics.I've never before enjoyed in any game like I was enjoyed playing as Geralt of Rivia.Geralt RULEZ! 8)

When did you first encounter the Witcher game?Local game magazines.How?I am avid rpg player and that kind of games with its own world and storys where always my thing and Witcher got some excellent recension and the story seemed to me very interesting and for me story in games is very important thing above anything else.In that time i still had old pc so couldnt play but when i did got new pc last sommer 1 game i took was Witcher EE and since than i can say that i got in love in Witcher story and its unique world , and game is masterpiece.Had you read the books before?I wish to read em but where i live in Croatia is hard to find em.What were your first impressions when you first got onto it?My first impression was that game is awesome, first video of game was amazing better than some movie and characters and the story did all look very detailed just like real , it was clear to me that on this game was devoted lots of love and work by designers and i was hooked on the game from start.And TW and DAO are only games i finished in period of 2 years , both games becommed total addiction with repetiteve value.Cant wait for TW2 ;)

Checked it at a game site, saw it was highly rated (In my opinion at the moment i feel it's underrated) and got it.Read The last wish, and will soon start reading Blood of Elves.Personal opinion... I would easier get turned on by The witcher than any girls in the whole world right now. :angel: (*cough* Guys too... duh *cough*)So far i haven't seen any game that has such a deep world, so awesome history and plot and so awesome characters. I have probably spend more time actually checking everything related to The witcher than actually played the game. I just love everything about it. :)

Top Bottom