My worry about difficulty.

+
Coming from the witcher 3, one gripe i had about the game was the difficulty curve. I played Death's March in all my playthroughs and i was always felt it started at 150% tension and through the course of the game it died down to 50%. After the first 10 hours or so i never really felt the danger. The thing that CDPR always strives for is immersion, and knowing your mortality really sets the tone. For instance geralt started as an above average human who killed monsters for a living, and by the end he ended up traveling between worlds and killing multi-dimensional beings and Satan in HoS.

My point is i want V to be grounded into the world, start from the bottom, earn your modifications, etc. I feel the auto targeting weapons from the game and penetrating rounds really remove the sense of danger and skill. From the demo i felt the firefights never lasted more than 10 seconds. Even the gang boss was probly a minute long fight. It's a beautiful world but it's too fast paced and you never get to experience it from what i'm seeing. I doubt we'll get more than 50 hours at the pace it's at. I hope CDPR heavily limits ricochet shots and guides shots, nothing worse than shooting in the air and it kills the whole room.

TL;DR remove ricochet shots and guided shots it ruins difficulty. Make use of cover, sliding, weakpoints, shields, etc.

They're not going to remove weaponry that stems directly from the PnP rpg. You have the choice, however, not to use them. Its not realistic to expect that we wouldn't have prototype, high tech or otherwise advanced weaponry in the CP2020/2077 world.

Do remember, the preview was from a very early part of the game - and towards the end they buffed up the character and showed us some high end weapons. I'm going to guess that, come end game, we're going to need high tech weapons to help level the playing field against the enemies we face there.

I generally agree in terms of difficulty but the weapons is futuristic and has to be futuristic, I want to see crazy, fun and fresh weaponry and no, I don't want to fight endlessly. I don't want bulletsponges. I agree though that I want to have the feeling that it can end pretty fast for V if she isn't careful enough but the demo isn't here to show us how to play bad and die. I like it how it was in Max Payne back then, you had your painkillers, your bullet time, many weapons and the action was fast but you could die very quick if you jumped right into the barrel of the enemies.

I was actually positively surprised b, how quick the boss fight went, I feared it would be more of a very long "shoot the weakspot" so I think they are on the right path.

I generally agree in terms of difficulty but the weapons is futuristic and has to be futuristic, I want to see crazy, fun and fresh weaponry and no, I don't want to fight endlessly. I don't want bulletsponges. I agree though that I want to have the feeling that it can end pretty fast for V if she isn't careful enough but the demo isn't here to show us how to play bad and die. I like it how it was in Max Payne back then, you had your painkillers, your bullet time, many weapons and the action was fast but you could die very quick if you jumped right into the barrel of the enemies.

I was actually positively surprised b, how quick the boss fight went, I feared it would be more of a very long "shoot the weakspot" so I think they are on the right path.

I get where you are coming from but lets be honest in the last 50 years the most used gun for killings has been a glock. 2077 is almost 60 years away. How far do you think we'll get? Do you want a dubstep gun like in Saints Row? BFG gun like Doom? Innovation isn't that fast, when it comes to weapons that is. I hope in their internal testing they balance this out a bit.

I get where you are coming from but lets be honest in the last 50 years the most used gun for killings has been a glock. 2077 is almost 60 years away. How far do you think we'll get? Do you want a dubstep gun like in Saints Row? BFG gun like Doom? Innovation isn't that fast, when it comes to weapons that is. I hope in their internal testing they balance this out a bit.

Don't forget the weapons already exist in the game world from CP2020 NOT real life

This is not about realism but authencity. The setting is Cyberounk with braindance, flying cars, cybernetics and so in. Everyone being equipped with Glocks and M16s would be as same as unfitting as in a World War 1 setting. So no dubsteb gun but ricochet guns and ammo that follows it's target? Sure!

Every enemy should also get homing bullets (and ricochet shots). Problem solved. Dodge that Nero!

On a more serious note, critical shots should cause permanent bleeding damage that requires a medic to take care of, if not, you'll soon will die. There could be a medic mod to help you stop the bleeding up to a certain point. I was never a fan of regenerating health.

Well they did say in demo that they played high level character to show combat mehanics. Enemies were like level 3 while Jackie was level 8.

I would prefer the game to be about a 7 out of 10 in the difficulty department "low end Hard mode". i dont it to be as easy as say GTA, i want ever milestone hit in the game feel like a challenge and something i worked hard to achieve.

I agree, but that's going to be at a different level for different people. A 7 for you might be a 5 for me, or vice versa.

I hope thay don't go the path of making things difficult for difficulties same. I'm probably in the minority on a gaming forum, but I dislike Dark Souls for that reason. There is a point where challenge changes in a game just feeling like a task to accomplish. If you like that, more power to you, but I play mostly for the experience and story. Challenge is part of that, 'gitting gut' isn't.

That said, I feel difficulty is subjective an as such difficuly settings pleasing everyone are hard to implement. What one person thinks of as challenging might be a cakewalk for another and making difficulty sliders aimed at everyone usually results in a game some people find way too easy/ hard.

I hope thay don't go the path of making things difficult for difficulties same. I'm probably in the minority on a gaming forum, but I dislike Dark Souls for that reason. There is a point where challenge changes in a game just feeling like a task to accomplish. If you like that, more power to you, but I play mostly for the experience and story. Challenge is part of that, 'gitting gut' isn't.

That said, I feel difficulty is subjective an as such difficuly settings pleasing everyone are hard to implement. What one person thinks of as challenging might be a cakewalk for another and making difficulty sliders aimed at everyone usually results in a game some people find way too easy/ hard.

the difficulty will be nowhere close to dark souls, dont worry. dark souls diffuculty comes from replaying entire sections when you die. with a fast save option you wont face that problem here.

And all you focus on regarding difficulty is fighting? What about other aspects of the game?

But this is not the only thing that concerns me. Guiding player like a child from one marker on the screen to an another is another thing. I don't say that markers should be disabled, they should not. We still need some kind of GPS which will guide us through the city but when we are about to explore some location with enemies and the marker shows us way room after room until we reach some important NPC is a bit too much of a hand holding for me.

Guiding player like a child from one marker on the screen to an another is another thing.

Agreed.

There should be better directions from questgivers and a map to view. Staring at questmarkers makes the player pay less attention to the world that they so meticulously have crafted, and it cheapens the sense of discovery, exploration and sense of accomplishment.

It's a hugely cluttered place, but there should still be means to navigate it without the need to pull the player by the nose.

I mean... When V is ordered to sit in the couch or pick up her gun and jacket... Is that too too much for the player to understand that it can't be handled without an arrow pointing to it? Or when Jackie introduces his car? And several other things. A bit of difficulty could and should well come from doing a bit of detective work on where to go and where to find things.

The red arrows to follow are as intrusive as they try to be helpful, if not even more so.

I'm sure there are means to guide the player more intuitively and organically than that.

Last edited:
I agree, but that's going to be at a different level for different people. A 7 for you might be a 5 for me, or vice versa.

Hard 8-9 for me would be
Call me Terror-Billy on wolfenstein 2 TNC or I am Death Incarnate wolfenstein tnb

if u are well versed in those games a 7 would be perfect.

Top Bottom