Mystery of the vanishing quest

+
Mystery of the vanishing quest

I was playing through Witcher III Wild Hunt on PC (through Steam), when I reached the quest where you help Vernon Roche dissuade Ves from attacking a band of Nilfgaardian soldiers raiding a small village.

I arrive under the Hanging Man Tree as the quest asks, and the dialogue with Roche is triggered. We get through it, and it reaches the point where we hear Ves engage the enemy. From there Vernon declares that we must help her, he draws his sword and rushes down the hill.

And then he vanishes. The quest disappears from my quest log, and there is not battle to be found.

Have you reloaded a save and tried this quest multiple times? Any mods installed? If Roche and the quest consistently vanish, Tech Support may want to see a save illustrating the problem. If so, you can fill out a report . Thanks.

I have this image of the battle being joined --
Roche dashes off, sword in hand --
Geralt draws his sword --
Roche charges down the hill...vanishes!
The battle vanishes --
The sounds vanish --
In one fluid motion, Geralt sheaths his sword -- plops down -- and starts playing Gwent solitaire.

Have you checked completed quests? There's a time constraint on this, if you're too slow, or run in the wrong direction at first, Ves is killed and the quest fails.

I checked passed and failed quests, it is no where to be found. The auto-save is long gone by now, I just hope it isn't an important quest.

Actually, it is fairly important (although not game-breaking), so if you're not TOO far past it, you might want to try to get back to it?
Failing to do this quest will lock you out of other quests later in the game.

Took one last look at my failed quest log, and it either appeared or I never noticed it. Either way I'm a little sad I autofailed it. I always liked Ves.

Top Bottom