Namco Bandai Games to distribute The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in Australia and New Zealand

+
Oh trust me, these censor boards at many places are outright idiotic, if not pathetic. Like here, games like Fallout 3 are banned because of "hurting religious sentiments" because it features a two-headed mutated cow :/
When can we have masses with actual brains?

Theres no point spreading old propaganda for decisions that were made prior to the R18 legislation change.

The R18 legislation is ALMOST fine. As somebody who made numerous submissions to the attourney generals and australian news media. I can tell you with certaintly its ALMOST fine now.

Despite being ridiculous, in debate its always paramount to begin by trying to understand the opponents point of view. In this case, the one attourney general from South Australia who was VETO'ing the R18 legislation had a position that "the margin of young kids that would experience the content due to parental neglect as well mentally damaged and sick people in society (as much as 10% of people) was unacceptable"... something along the lines that having access to adult content in games where the experience is more virtual would be damaging than traditional media.

While i disagree with him on every level... that mental illness is something that needs to be addressed seperately... and that R18 legislation helps to improve parental awareness on game ratings, i see where the original point came from.

Now, when we made comparisons to other media and argued for equal rights in gaming as things like movies, of course we would eventually win this argument. So why are there legacies of the archaic legislation relating to drugs and sexual abuse content in games. Did we get a 100% even footing with R18 in movies? No, but its almost fine. They claim that virtual drug incentives and sexual abuse in games would be damaging to mentally ill people and children (but... movies?).. and there have ALREADY been stupid implementations of the law in games like Saints Row IV and the anal probe weapon/mission.

However, its like 99% fine and now that the publishers all know the laws, its unlikely we are going to see AAA games like the witcher getting banned. So stop whinging about Australian Ratings and just be happy for the win. In 2-5 more years we'll have another attourney general change and we'll see the last the dumb R18 components phased out and there will be nothing left.

**edit*** a typo,

Last edited:
Theres no point spreading old propaganda for decisions that were made prior to the R18 legislation change.

The R18 legislation is ALMOST fine. As somebody who made numerous submissions to the attourney generals and australian news media. I can tell you with certaintly its ALMOST fine now.

Despite being ridiculous, in debate its always paramount to begin by trying to understand the opponents point of view. In this case, the one attourney general from South Australia who was VETO'ing the R18 legislation had a position that "the margin of young kids that would experience the content due to parental neglect as well mentally damaged and sick people in society (as much as 10% of people) was unacceptable"... something along the lines that having access to adult content in games where the experience is more virtual would be damaging than traditional media.

While i disagree with him on every level... that mental illness is something that needs to be addressed seperately... and that R18 legislation helps to improve parental awareness on game ratings, i see where the original point came from.

Now, when we made comparisons to other media and argued for equal rights in gaming as things like movies, of course we would eventually win this argument. So why are there legacies of the archaic legislation relating to drugs and sexual abuse content in games. Did we get a 100% even footing with R18 in movies? No, but its almost fine. They claim that virtual drug incentives and sexual abuse in games would be damaging to mentally ill people and children (but... movies?).. and there have ALREADY been stupid implementations of the law in games like Saints Row IV and the anal probe weapon/mission.

However, its like 99% fine and now that the publishers all know the laws, its unlikely we are going to see AAA games like the witcher getting banned. So stop whinging about Australian Ratings and just be happy for the win. In 2-5 more years we'll have another attourney general change and we'll see the last the dumb R18 components phased out and there will be nothing left.

**edit*** a typo,

woah, calm down mate. First I never made any "accusations" nor I was whining, in particular to any place. Just made a general statement looking at the scenario on a broader level. And when I said "here", I meant where I'm from, which you can see if you see a bit towards your left (just a little, you don't have to even turn your head, no pain or trouble at all, really!)

If things are really better there (I mean, Australia, or wherever you hail from) then good for you :)

As long as we have the chance to purchase the "very special CE" locally here on God's pimple, then it's all good with me.

So long as the Collectors Edition is out on PC, the staff at my local EB thought that it may not. My Geralt bust from W2 will look good beside the new figure.

Top Bottom