Naming v

+

Are you using your own name or a different one?

• Im using my name because v is our avatar

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Using a different name

Votes: 29 65.9%

• Total voters
They've already stated everyone is going to refer to you as V, so I'm not sure what "point" you're even trying to argue. That is the official alias and no one is going to call you anything else. Giving V a name aside from that will just be frill. A nice to have for some but meaningless to the game
Im not talking about the alias im talking about the NAME
Post automatically merged:

A good many things are fairly meaningless in many games. Doesn't make them good/bad ... they just "are".
Its not meaningless to give your character a name it is a rpg after all but giving the character an official name would be pointless because character creation wouldn’t make sense than

Im not talking about the alias im talking about the NAME
Post automatically merged:

Its not meaningless to give your character a name it is a rpg after all but giving the character an official name would be pointless because character creation wouldn’t make sense than
I know what you're talking about lol I was pointing out that they've said no one would use it. So maybe it gets used on some documents through the game or your game save file name but it won't be used by any characters in game

Headcanon is not the same as an actual name. Headcanon doesn't show up in emails, texts, or other documents, making your character feel like an actual member of the world.

For that reason alone, it's a poor excuse for not having the feature.

A name does not need to be spoken to have value. Given that this is the standard in the majority of RPGs where characters refer to you by a specific alias or last name, I'm actually quite surprised so many people are not just indifferent, but actively arguing against it.

Last edited:
Headcanon is not the same as an actual name. Headcanon doesn't show up in emails, texts, or other documents, making your character feel like an actual member of the world.

A name does not need to be spoken to have value. Given that this is the standard in the majority of RPGs where characters refer to you by a specific alias or last name, I'm actually quite surprised so many people are not just indifferent, but actively arguing against it.
Not arguing against it in the least, I pointed out that it might be in game because of what we've seen. In the end, it isn't an essential so if they decided to also remove that with the other stuff, it wouldn't affect gameplay. It would literally be the same as no one knowing V's "real" name and only referring to you as V in those same emails, texts, and other documents.

What games have had an alias people called you and a 'name' that you saw written out other places? Genuinely curious because I can't think of any aside from super hero games lol

Not arguing against it in the least, I pointed out that it might be in game because of what we've seen. In the end, it isn't an essential so if they decided to also remove that with the other stuff, it wouldn't affect gameplay. It would literally be the same as no one knowing V's "real" name and only referring to you as V in those same emails, texts, and other documents.

What games have had an alias people called you and a 'name' that you saw written out other places? Genuinely curious because I can't think of any aside from super hero games lol
Bioware games, The Elder Scrolls games, to name a couple. In many cases, there are games where you are called "Hero" but the written text says your full name, or at least your first name.

Bioware games, The Elder Scrolls games, to name a couple. In many cases, there are games where you are called "Hero" but the written text says your full name, or at least your first name.
Ah okay, I guess I see the point you're trying to make. Generally it's used due to spoken lines, so the other characters in game have something to call you. Generic 'hero' and what not instead of recorded umpteenth number of names. Personally, I feel that's different as this isn't just a generic name like hero or captain. Hopefully the game will still let us fully name our Vs for those that this adds value! :beer:

Keep in mind 'V' is a "street"/"edgerunner" handle not a "name".

Think of any movie involving fighter pilots, they go by their "callsign" not their name.

Assuming there's an ability to add a personal bio to 'V' you can name them anything you want, but on the streets they're still 'V'.

Yup, just like in DA. You can choose a name that's never used outside of the inventory screen and texts and everyone calls you Gray Warden or Herald of Andraste in-game . If it's like this I'm happy.

Yup, just like in DA. You can choose a name that's never used outside of the inventory screen and texts and everyone calls you Gray Warden or Herald of Andraste in-game . If it's like this I'm happy.
Im pretty sure this is the route they take with v.You decide what his/her real name is and make it canon for your own.Its like with shepard he/she doesnt have an official first name and the devs said your shepard is the canon version.This is the best decision you can make for a rpg

Yeah, this is my hope. It seems like such an obvious thing to do and I genuinely have no idea why they'd change it if it was already their plan.

Yeah, this is my hope. It seems like such an obvious thing to do and I genuinely have no idea why they'd change it if it was already their plan.
They already said in several interviews that v is supposed to be you and it wouldn’t make sense 2 me if they wouldn’t allow us to name our character or if they make an ^^official^^ version of v with first and last name because this would make character creation pointless.With their statement that we can do it it is pretty much confirmed anyway.Pen and paper games got really strong rpg elements and the character sheet is a very important part of it

No one called it an excuse.
I know I merely mentioned it as a (partial) solution in case there is no option to give V a real name in addition to the handle.

Frankly, if a "real name" is only used in letters, unspoken dialogue, or other texts, like in Skyrim for example, then it might as well not be a thing at all. I don't really see any value in that, assuming the name would be literally the only variable in such texts; literally all it would be would be "[predetermined text] [more predetermined text] [PlayerName] [even more predetermined text]".
If the name were something funny then that would add a small amount of entertainment value, but beyond that it would add nothing that mere "headcanon" couldn't also add.
Plus, the handle "V" already is a name (although only an alias), unlike "Dragonborn", "Arisen", "commander", or other generic titles that multiple in-world characters have carried before the player character.

Ultimately, I'm indifferent on this subject; real name or no real name, doesn't really matter to me. Unless the name would affect more than just otherwise predetermined texts.

It only makes sense to me that you can enter first and last name regardless of called alias. This makes written communication easier or more logical as you can utilize a normal name where it makes sense.

Or are we expecting that even ads, formal Mails and whatnot will address the protagonist with "V" all the time (in text form).

If Dex or your doc sends you a mail, sure. Or some gang member. In other constellations it is more plausible to be addressed via first/last name (in text form).

Even if all of that is not an aspect I think it would be one of the lesser issues.

Makes me wonder if weapons will have their brand name and a street call sign...or if there will be an option to name a weapon or item of gear.

Keep in mind 'V' is a "street"/"edgerunner" handle not a "name".

Think of any movie involving fighter pilots, they go by their "callsign" not their name.

Assuming there's an ability to add a personal bio to 'V' you can name them anything you want, but on the streets they're still 'V'.
I mean this is getting into the semantics of what a name is right?

Based on the dialogue we've seen it seems to me that V is more of a nickname than a call-sign or code name in that V is still used outside of missions in the practice of identifying the player character. Like if my legal name is "Steven McBirthname", but I live a life dedicated to avoiding official paperwork that necessitates the use of a legal name, and instead use V to identify myself in all of my interactions, which one is my "real name"?

Last edited:
No one called it an excuse.
I know I merely mentioned it as a (partial) solution in case there is no option to give V a real name in addition to the handle.

Frankly, if a "real name" is only used in letters, unspoken dialogue, or other texts, like in Skyrim for example, then it might as well not be a thing at all. I don't really see any value in that, assuming the name would be literally the only variable in such texts; literally all it would be would be "[predetermined text] [more predetermined text] [PlayerName] [even more predetermined text]".
If the name were something funny then that would add a small amount of entertainment value, but beyond that it would add nothing that mere "headcanon" couldn't also add.
Plus, the handle "V" already is a name (although only an alias), unlike "Dragonborn", "Arisen", "commander", or other generic titles that multiple in-world characters have carried before the player character.

Ultimately, I'm indifferent on this subject; real name or no real name, doesn't really matter to me. Unless the name would affect more than just otherwise predetermined texts.
Ist already confirmed from the devs that we can name him/her.Every character creator lets you name your hero what is an important part for roleplaying.People call each other with an alias in cyberpunk anyway to stay anonymous and i think every character needs a real name.2 Things are fine…..You make a preset character like geralt or let the player decide who your character is.I prefer the 2nd one but a preset would be fine too.But it would be stupid if they decide later on to give your character a name by themselves but im sure thats not their plan and makes no sense to me

No to using a real name...but then I've never viewed a RPG protagonist as an avatar for me within that game world. RPGs are more fun IMO if you play the character as if they're not you, and have a different set of ideals or goals.

Not sure which name I'd choose if there is an option in the character creator. Potentially something that starts with the letter V however, so that the nom de guerre is also a bit of a personal nickname.

Ist already confirmed from the devs that we can name him/her.Every character creator lets you name your hero what is an important part for roleplaying.People call each other with an alias in cyberpunk anyway to stay anonymous and i think every character needs a real name.2 Things are fine…..You make a preset character like geralt or let the player decide who your character is.I prefer the 2nd one but a preset would be fine too.But it would be stupid if they decide later on to give your character a name by themselves but im sure thats not their plan and makes no sense to me

Street names are less about anonymity and more about brand. Edge runners live and die by their reputation, and in a world of heightened security and data as a commodity coming up with a fake name literally does nothing to protect your identity, unless MAYBE you give a different fake name every time you talk to someone.

Only my pro corporate play through(s) will even care about my "legal name", for all my other characters whatever my parents told the state to call me is a completely dead meme.

The feature has been removed; giving V a first and last name.

1565902373367.png

Top Bottom