Narrative imposition in the prohibition of free will (expoiler)

+
I try to be balanced, to ponder, but there is no way

It was not enough for Cyberpunk to simply despise hours and hours of players, playing these players, at the end of the campaign, in an empty world ... he also despises his options - even romances with endings - at least and to me, strangers. And it was a game that proclaimed itself 'open' to options ...

Again, the narrative being used destructively, by imposing itself. It is not just bad mechanics, problems with performance - that CDPR will fix - there is also a context thought in the same way as this mechanic was thought and the game was released. And context written in that way too.

A potential story, relatively good, in a potential city that is, without a doubt, wonderful in the eyes, a potential character (V) ... it is as if everything, literally, tried to gain flight and was pruned, forbidden to fly. The imposing narrative - which in addition to imposing a rushed gameplay on you - throws, in the end, everything you do during this gameplay path, outside ... or despises it and in an easy way.

It is like playing the beginning of the game and jumping, directly to its end ... except for a narrative line and if you are of a certain genre/or choice - the rest, walk towards 'penance' ...a dramatic 'pain'...

Here is a spoiler and, after, my conclusion

In the 'best' of the finals, with Judy, you don't show up with her thinking about the future, but with Panan... 'we are in home'...huh? And...my JUDY?

I really try to understand decisions of gamers design, writers - understand in the sense of understanding - but the logic of this ending that they call 'happy ending' is something that strikes the eyes of being so bad ... as I said earlier, everything you do is despised, his choices, despised ...

It is incredible that a game that was intended as 'the game of the decade' is dominated by that, by bad narratives ... by mediocre, prohibitive, hasty narrative impositions, etc ... time to change this direction, CDPR.

The narrative has issues which are related to how it's built-up and it's pacing but not the endings.
The endings are actually good you simply misunderstood them.

There are two major narrative points introduced during the prologue.
  • The fate you are after through the question raised by Dex
Would you rather live in peace as Miss Nobody, die ripe, old and smellin' slightly of urine? Or go down for all times in a blaze of glory, smellin' near like posies, 'thout seein' your thirtieth?

• Will you become Johnny because of the chip or are you going to fight to remain your own self

And there is another one introduced just shortly after which is:

• Have things actually changed in the past 60 years, but more importantly are people even capable of change.

All the endings are a combination of these narrative choices to some extent.

There are 3 endings in which the player (an by that extent V) becomes Johnny to an extent regardless of who gets to keep the body in the end.

These are all the endings in which you assault the Araska HQ the Nomad one, the Rogue one and the "secret" one.

The assault of the Arasaka HQ is essentially a repeat of the events of 2020 when Johnny decided to assault the Araska HQ to settle a personal grievance getting some of his friends and a bunch of innocents killed.

If the player chooses to assault the Araska HQ the same thing happens, he gets his friends killed and innocents die, the bomb in 2020 and Alt's massacre in 2077.

The only ending that doesn't repeat those mistakes is the one where V decides to help/side with Hanako. This is the only one in which V does not repeats Johnny's 2020 path in 2077 showing that things truly have changed, that V did not succumb to/was influenced by Johnny's repartitioning of his brain.
In this ending you do not assault the tower, you do not get your friends killed, and you do not get innocents killed.
If you've also chosen to save Takemura you are provided with what is probably the most canonical ending if CDPR chooses to do a direct sequel.

You will leave your body. Arasaka will store your engram in Mikoshi until a way is found to transfer it to a new body.

Yet your phenotype, thanks to the chip, is unique. Arasaka cannot provide a suitable body at this time.

Unlike the other endings, and the Hellman Arasaka ending this one provides V with a more concrete promise of a new body.

The other endings are basically the player becoming Johnny and repeating the same mistakes Johnny made in 2020 with the player then being allowed to choose if they whish to go out in a blaze of glory (Rogue + V gets to keep body, Rogue/Nomad Johnny gets to keep the body) or die quietly surrounded by their loved ones and friends (Nomad + V gets to keep the body).

Last edited:
The narrative has issues which are related to how it's built-up and it's pacing but not the endings.
The endings are actually good you simply misunderstood them.

There are two major narrative points introduced during the prologue.
  • The fate you are after through the question raised by Dex

• Will you become Johnny because of the chip or are you going to fight to remain your own self

And there is another one introduced just shortly after which is:

• Have things actually changed in the past 60 years, but more importantly are people even capable of change.

All the endings are a combination of these narrative choices to some extent.

There are 3 endings in which the player (an by that extent V) becomes Johnny to an extent regardless of who gets to keep the body in the end.

These are all the endings in which you assault the Araska HQ the Nomad one, the Rogue one and the "secret" one.

The assault of the Arasaka HQ is essentially a repeat of the events of 2020 when Johnny decided to assault the Araska HQ to settle a personal grievance getting some of his friends and a bunch of innocents killed.

If the player chooses to assault the Araska HQ the same thing happens, he gets his friends killed and innocents die, the bomb in 2020 and Alt's massacre in 2077.

The only ending that doesn't repeat those mistakes is the one where V decides to help/side with Hanako. This is the only one in which V does not repeats Johnny's 2020 path in 2077 showing that things truly have changed, that V did not succumb to/was influenced by Johnny's repartitioning of his brain.
In this ending you do not assault the tower, you do not get your friends killed, and you do not get innocents killed.
If you've also chosen to save Takemura you are provided with what is probably the most canonical ending if CDPR chooses to do a direct sequel.

Unlike the other endings, and the Hellman Arasaka ending this one provides V with a more concrete promise of a new body.

The other endings are basically the player becoming Johnny and repeating the same mistakes Johnny made in 2020 with the player then being allowed to choose if they whish to go out in a blaze of glory (Rogue + V gets to keep body, Rogue/Nomad Johnny gets to keep the body) or die quietly surrounded by their loved ones and friends (Nomad + V gets to keep the body).

Use that 'spoiler' tag :)

About "The endings are actually good you simply misunderstood them" - I will have to think about it. Anyway, I will keep what I said about the imposition of this narrative in the general construction of the game (including choice of mechanics).
Post automatically merged:

"The only ending that doesn't repeat those mistakes is the one where V decides to help/side with Hanako. This is the only one in which V does not repeats Johnny's 2020 path in 2077 showing that things truly have changed, that V did not succumb to/was influenced by Johnny's repartitioning of his brain"

- i try find this end and i fail hard :( was my choice... and i do something worng). My idea was to refuse 'terrorism' as a means of struggle, although I was in favor of popular revolutions, uprisings. And have a good final with Judy... this was my idea...

"Unlike the other endings, and the Hellman Arasaka ending this one provides V with a more concrete promise of a new body"

This idea is interessant. But... but...but... i play near 210+ hours i really like my V. But we still have some impositions of the script, especially in the way the design approaches the game in general. The question of time (I thought it unnecessary, and dubious - there could be other motivations) defining how the facts take place in the virtual world / city (in my view it disagrees, as opposed to the idea of 'open world') ...the gender/choice and relationship's... etc...

Last edited:
Top Bottom