NCPD wasn't fixed enough

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well looking at the Cyberpunk lore, I would have thought they would have factored cases and decent cop interactions into the story. MAXTAC for example, we see them right at the start of the game, and they turn up in their flying vehicle, its awesome.

Also, not being funny, but there are decade old games out there that can do decent cop chases, I don't buy that CDPR cant do something similar.
Lorewise, police is corrupt and defunded ( you can check in-game shards or cp2020/cpred rule manual). Is the very same reason why you can do jobs for NCPD,the police cannot control the city.
It works more as wild west in the sense that if both have guns, someone dying is not a police problem.
In lore,there are whole neighborhoods "combat zones" where police don't even patrol (see how pacifica doesn't compute for crime statistics or why Watson was in lockdown from story point of view).
They should have put a mechanism that if somebody shoots a civilian a % of civilians in x meters around you start shooting at you and police only reacts if you are close to one of the static positions that they guard (is what i was expecting).
Also a police system like in some well-known franchise that has an infinite number of police officers,cars,helicopters(av in cyberpunk) can be "fun" but please,don't use "realistic" or that is "needed for illusion" or that not having it is "immersion breaking" because infinite police forces is unrealistic in any setting.

Well looking at the Cyberpunk lore, I would have thought they would have factored cases and decent cop interactions into the story. MAXTAC for example, we see them right at the start of the game, and they turn up in their flying vehicle, its awesome.

Also, not being funny, but there are decade old games out there that can do decent cop chases, I don't buy that CDPR cant do something similar.
Yeah, I agree with all of that, but I also imagine that CDPR would have taken a view on the priority of the police versus other game mechanics.

Are the police a big game mechanic (ignoring the lore), is it a fun part of the gameplay to be dealing with the police)? Not really, there's not much player interaction or choice. It's quite clear that what CDPR intended for the police system is that you absolutely cannot stand your ground against them. They will escalate in power and force endlessly until either you flee or they kill you.

If you can spend 50 developer hours improving that or 50 developer hours improving some side-gigs making them more fun, then I'll take the work on the side-gigs any day.

The fix that has been done means that the police spawning is less likely to insta-kill you in a way that flat out feels like an insult to the player. That will do for me. Really, it feels like all they are there for is "Shooting civilians is bad, m'kay?". Yes, it is immersion-breaking when they spawn in the middle of the badlands or on a rooftop with you BUT doing things which spawn NCPD means you did something which you should be avoiding anyway.

I think I only spawned NCPD three times whilst on-foot in my 120h playthrough. Each time was when I accidentally shot or chopped up a civilian during a hairy battle, once because they literally ran in front of me whilst I was giving a Tyger Claw a mantis-blade-haircut. All it meant is that I had to run away for a little while and then come back to the battle. The only other times I spawned them was in a vehicle because of a hit-and-run killing (ho hum, mouse & keyboard + vehicles = some hilarious wipeouts). That was easily dealt with because I didn't want to hang around that area anyway, I was gone before the NCPD even got close.

Guest 3847602

There is the rub though isn't it. If the REDengine cannot handle such things, then management should have made a decision about using the engine at all, or even making a game that would naturally include cops.
Maybe because such things are not envisioned as a core gameplay pillar. In this game, cars are simply the means of transport from one quest to another (excluding races). You're doing 95% of the missions completely on foot, most of them indoors. Maybe GTA gameplay loop wasn't something they wanted in Cyberpunk and maybe REDengine works well on what they've seen as priority: RPG mechanics, open-ended level design, facial animations, gorgeous-looking open world, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4400165

I'm wondering: Has the NCPD's "AI" actually been developed by CDPR or was some kind of sister company responsible for it? It kinda feels like it's part of the "open world" which in many other aspects doesn't match the same quality as the well-designed, well-animated main story content...
(pure speculation)
Edit: I'd like to add that it wouldn't change the fact that I'm enjoying this game very much, because the main story is always the most important part to me.
Good point. There were a lot of other people outside of CDPR involved, that's why different aspects and features aren't on the same level.

It also feels that the whole thing was shoved in pretty late in the development.

And yet more off-topic, now gone. Far, far too many off-topic deletions in this thread, and a very clear, public reminder ignored.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom