Need a hand on a couple of things

+
Need a hand on a couple of things

Ok new to playing the witcher and I'm curious as to a couple of things I am in The City or town. Now I was suppose to find 3 things of ore and have found 2 of them for upgrading the sword. Seen somewhere that the sword is in the Cave That you came across in the beginning while doing the first part of the game. Is there any way to go back there and get it or am I screwed on getting the last thing of Ore that I need? Also I've got a rune for which I came across for which supposed to upgrade Garits sword. Who do I go to to have this here done? Also in the area where it places your quest Items is there any chance of that becoming full and you losing things out of it? Thanks for any help you folks can provide. John

redneck1st said:
Ok new to playing the witcher and I'm curious as to a couple of things I am in The City or town. Now I was suppose to find 3 things of ore and have found 2 of them for upgrading the sword. Seen somewhere that the sword is in the Cave That you came across in the beginning while doing the first part of the game. Is there any way to go back there and get it or am I screwed on getting the last thing of Ore that I need? Also I've got a rune for which I came across for which supposed to upgrade Garits sword. Who do I go to to have this here done? Also in the area where it places your quest Items is there any chance of that becoming full and you losing things out of it? Thanks for any help you folks can provide. John
If you are in chapter 2 then no you can`t go back to the outskirts but not to worry there will be more ores in the gameFor the runes if it is square then you will need 3 pieces just like you need three ores . But if the runestone is kinda oval shaped then you can apply it yourself . Use it just like a whetstone. You will need to find a blacksmith to reforge your steel sword and enhance your silver sword and the same blacksmith can do both swordsYes your inventory can become full but you won`t lose anything you just won`t be able to pick anything else up. Find merchants to sell the unneeded stuff to including alchemical ingredientsand by the way welcome to the forum

Tommy said:
If you are in chapter 2 then no you can`t go back to the outskirts but not to worry there will be more ores in the game
In addition to finding ore, you can also buy ore from the blacksmiths.
Yes your inventory can become full but you won`t lose anything you just won`t be able to pick anything else up.
He was asking about the quest inventory. No, your quest inventory doesn't become full. There are little arrows on either side of your quest inventory; if you click on an arrow, the quest inventory scrolls, so you can see more of it than will fit on the screen at once. It's okay if you have two or three boxes of dice, for example; the extra boxes of dice don't crowd out anything that you will need later, because there's always more quest inventory. You also can't sell or drop anything that's in your quest inventory, though stuff will sometimes vanish from there when used, like when you put the candles in the shrines in the Outskirts.

Hi Tommy,Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome as well. Now in regards to the picking up of items and your being able to hold only so much and than you have to dump things I understand that there. I'm referring the quest related Items not the items in general. Also in the Items in general why can't I pick up swords and add them to my inventory instead of my weapons slot? Not sure if I'm in chapter two or not as I've been to the dike area and done some of the things in the swamp. Now I've got some things for the Oblisk should I enter them right away or wait till I've got them all and than go around putting them where they go? Thanks again
Tommy said:
Tommy said:
If you are in chapter 2 then no you can`t go back to the outskirts but not to worry there will be more ores in the gameFor the runes if it is square then you will need 3 pieces just like you need three ores . But if the runestone is kinda oval shaped then you can apply it yourself . Use it just like a whetstone. You will need to find a blacksmith to reforge your steel sword and enhance your silver sword and the same blacksmith can do both swordsYes your inventory can become full but you won`t lose anything you just won`t be able to pick anything else up. Find merchants to sell the unneeded stuff to including alchemical ingredientsand by the way welcome to the forum
Tommy said:
Tommy said:
If you are in chapter 2 then no you can`t go back to the outskirts but not to worry there will be more ores in the game
In addition to finding ore, you can also buy ore from the blacksmiths.
Yes your inventory can become full but you won`t lose anything you just won`t be able to pick anything else up.
He was asking about the quest inventory. No, your quest inventory doesn't become full. There are little arrows on either side of your quest inventory; if you click on an arrow, the quest inventory scrolls, so you can see more of it than will fit on the screen at once. It's okay if you have two or three boxes of dice, for example; the extra boxes of dice don't crowd out anything that you will need later, because there's always more quest inventory. You also can't sell or drop anything that's in your quest inventory, though stuff will sometimes vanish from there when used, like when you put the candles in the shrines in the Outskirts.Corylea,You were right I was asking about the quest items. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't lose any of them till I needed them. This game is different than NWN or DA but I do like it. Think I missed quite a bit in the start before getting through the gates and getting arested. I hate when that happens.

@redneck1st1. Tommy mentioned runed earlier. What you have to understand is that there are 2 types of runes. Some will be used to upgrade your silver sword (like the sun rune)m while other can be used on your sword to give it temporary magical enhancements (like the vodyan rune stone). The second category runes are ususally circular and rough, with a pattern drawn. The first are rectangular with a pattern. To upgrade steel swords, you need ores (red/blue/yellow). You can get enough ores throughout the game, and you'll find a lot of pre-enhanced swords as well. So collecting ores should never become a huge concern in the game.2. The inventory is not bottomless in witcher. So be careful as to what you pick up. Some pointer would be to limit the amout of food beverages you pick. For example, most people you can offer food for information accept meat products. As such, you can almost completely ignore vegetable produce. As for alcohol, the only time you'll need weak alcohols are drinking mini-games. There is no need to keep more that 2 full stacks of beer and 1 full stack of wine at any point of time. When picking up ingredients, make sure you do not pick up more than you will need. Some rare ingredients like powdered pearl has elements you'll easily find in other common ingredients. You should sell rare ingredients off when you find them.3. Use the storage facility at the inns if you pick something up that you'll need later on.4. Weapons cannot be accommodated in the backpack. Geralt is not exactly walking around with a pack mule, so he carries only smaller items in his inventory, and carries only as much weapons as he needs to use. 5. No need to put the sephirot into the obelisks till you find them all. There part of you quest later on in the chapter.

Well now I started the game over from the begining since I knew that there were things I missed. Seems to be going better for me this time. I'm in I'm getting ready to do Miku quest for the ghouls in the crypt I guess it is. Inow I do have a few things for whic give 10 or 20% increase in I believe it's damage. I've also got a couple of Red Ores. Now do the runes all have to be the same to upgrade? I.E 3 red, 3 blues, etc. or can you mix and match them? As for the other types for which your talking about I've yet to come across any of them as of yet. But I guess I will eventually. Probably to early in the game for them as I'm just doing the "Outskirts". As for the ingridents Usually if I know that I'm not going to use them right away I'll leave them in an inn. That way the slot is free. The weak alchols I usually sell them all off, and allot of the food stuffs as well. I keep the meats and maybe one or two of vegies other than that I usually sell them. I did learn real quick that you can't pick up and sell the weapons. Just think of all the gold that would bring in. Of course I've already got 1K in gold. So what you are saying is that I should talk to all the Npc's in the area as they will provide info and such? Thanks for the tip in regards to the food stuff being used as gifts for them. I'm getting ready to play some more and will have to go through and see what I can get out of the locals. Thanks for the help.
Vilgefortze said:
@redneck1st1. Tommy mentioned runed earlier. What you have to understand is that there are 2 types of runes. Some will be used to upgrade your silver sword (like the sun rune)m while other can be used on your sword to give it temporary magical enhancements (like the vodyan rune stone). The second category runes are ususally circular and rough, with a pattern drawn. The first are rectangular with a pattern. To upgrade steel swords, you need ores (red/blue/yellow). You can get enough ores throughout the game, and you'll find a lot of pre-enhanced swords as well. So collecting ores should never become a huge concern in the game.2. The inventory is not bottomless in witcher. So be careful as to what you pick up. Some pointer would be to limit the amout of food beverages you pick. For example, most people you can offer food for information accept meat products. As such, you can almost completely ignore vegetable produce. As for alcohol, the only time you'll need weak alcohols are drinking mini-games. There is no need to keep more that 2 full stacks of beer and 1 full stack of wine at any point of time. When picking up ingredients, make sure you do not pick up more than you will need. Some rare ingredients like powdered pearl has elements you'll easily find in other common ingredients. You should sell rare ingredients off when you find them.3. Use the storage facility at the inns if you pick something up that you'll need later on.4. Weapons cannot be accommodated in the backpack. Geralt is not exactly walking around with a pack mule, so he carries only smaller items in his inventory, and carries only as much weapons as he needs to use. 5. No need to put the sephirot into the obelisks till you find them all. There part of you quest later on in the chapter.

redneck1st said:
...Inow I do have a few things for whic give 10 or 20% increase in I believe it's damage. I've also got a couple of Red Ores. Now do the runes all have to be the same to upgrade? I.E 3 red, 3 blues, etc. or can you mix and match them?
No, they don't have to be the same color. When you have at least three runes a blacksmith will show you the different possibilities of runed swords that you can get forged in his inventory if you talk to him and click to the forge icon IIRC. There will be other runes you'll get as you progress.
redneck1st said:
I did learn real quick that you can't pick up and sell the weapons. Just think of all the gold that would bring in. Of course I've already got 1K in gold.
You can sell them but first you have to pick them up from enemies. In order to do so you should free your weapon slots by storing them in the inn or throwing on the ground if it's an undesirable weapon. DON'T EVER THROW YOUR WITCHER SWORDS. They're unique and if you leave the area after putting them on the ground you may lose them forever. Also, don't expect a huge boost of orens when you sell weapons like I did when I first sold them. Yes, selling weapons is not the easiest or most convenient thing in Witcher but it's possible.

Glad to hear that they don't have to be the same color but that they can be. Which are the better out of the 3 ores or is there one color that is better than the others? Now as for my Witcher weapons I didn't think that it would be smart to get rid of them. Especially since I've only seen one witcer sword so far and I know athat when you leave the "out skirts" and get in to the city you get the Silver sword after your arrested. So the best thing for which to do is to just upgrade either the Witcher or silver swords? Also was wondering if there an XP cap in this game? Heck I'm early in the game and already at a level 8 or so?
e-ahmet said:
e-ahmet said:
...Inow I do have a few things for whic give 10 or 20% increase in I believe it's damage. I've also got a couple of Red Ores. Now do the runes all have to be the same to upgrade? I.E 3 red, 3 blues, etc. or can you mix and match them?
No, they don't have to be the same color. When you have at least three runes a blacksmith will show you the different possibilities of runed swords that you can get forged in his inventory if you talk to him and click to the forge icon IIRC. There will be other runes you'll get as you progress.
e-ahmet said:
I did learn real quick that you can't pick up and sell the weapons. Just think of all the gold that would bring in. Of course I've already got 1K in gold.
You can sell them but first you have to pick them up from enemies. In order to do so you should free your weapon slots by storing them in the inn or throwing on the ground if it's an undesirable weapon. DON'T EVER THROW YOUR WITCHER SWORDS. They're unique and if you leave the area after putting them on the ground you may lose them forever. Also, don't expect a huge boost of orens when you sell weapons like I did when I first sold them. Yes, selling weapons is not the easiest or most convenient thing in Witcher but it's possible.

redneck1st said:
Glad to hear that they don't have to be the same color but that they can be. Which are the better out of the 3 ores or is there one color that is better than the others? Now as for my Witcher weapons I didn't think that it would be smart to get rid of them. Especially since I've only seen one witcer sword so far and I know athat when you leave the "out skirts" and get in to the city you get the Silver sword after your arrested. So the best thing for which to do is to just upgrade either the Witcher or silver swords?
I don't remember right now but different colors of ores provide different bonuses on swords. Those bonuses include but not limited to blinding, bleeding, stunning etc. If you get a sword forged with same colored ores you get 3 times of its effect but I'm not really sure. When you have different ores in your inventory, you'll see the possibilities in the blacksmith's inventory. You may need to scroll down to see all sometimes. If memory serves me right, Witcher swords cannot be reforged (runed) but I might be wrong. Need confirmation on this.

Well from what I could tell when I used the ores in the Outskirts area it produced a new sword and he discarded the Witchers sword. So what I did was got rid of the axe and put the witchers sword in its place and the meteorite sword where the witchers sword was. Now I'm in Chapter 2 and I've got to fight a Cockatrice and have a silver sword. When the confiscated my stuff I only had about 300 orens and I had over 1500 orens before I was taken at the gate. Is this the way it's suppose to happen? Do I get the other 1200 or so oren back. If not thats bs.
e-ahmet said:
e-ahmet said:
Glad to hear that they don't have to be the same color but that they can be. Which are the better out of the 3 ores or is there one color that is better than the others? Now as for my Witcher weapons I didn't think that it would be smart to get rid of them. Especially since I've only seen one witcer sword so far and I know athat when you leave the "out skirts" and get in to the city you get the Silver sword after your arrested. So the best thing for which to do is to just upgrade either the Witcher or silver swords?
I don't remember right now but different colors of ores provide different bonuses on swords. Those bonuses include but not limited to blinding, bleeding, stunning etc. If you get a sword forged with same colored ores you get 3 times of its effect but I'm not really sure. When you have different ores in your inventory, you'll see the possibilities in the blacksmith's inventory. You may need to scroll down to see all sometimes. If memory serves me right, Witcher swords cannot be reforged (runed) but I might be wrong. Need confirmation on this.

e-ahmet said:
You'll get your stuff back but I don't remember about the money.
Well now if I don't I might have to go postal. After all thats allot of Orens and allot of killings that I did to earn them. Now I noticed that when upgrading you need to have bronze, silver and gold to progress through the variious chains like strength intelligence etc. Whe do you start getting the silver and the gold ones to pogress more? YOu see I'm current'ly close to Lv 10 and I'll I've gotten in bronze. Anyone know if there is a Level Cap on the game?

Check this page out: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Talents I don't know if there is a level cap but after level 50 you won't be getting any talent points (bronze, silver, gold) but don't worry about the level cap because it's not easy to reach that level anyway and it's near impossible to unlock all of the talent tree. So, choose carefully when upgrading Geralt, read the talent descriptions (I think you need to hover over them with your mouse) and decide if you really need that specific talent.

Will have to admit that I did figure out learning the descriptions just wasn't sure how the level tree worked in regards to gaining bronze, silver and gold. Being as this is my first time through I'm taking the ones for which I think will be usefull. Like the ones for which regenerate vitality and endurance as well as for any to do with potions, plants and oils. Not sure about the bombs yet. Now I do have to ability to make a silver using a component off the beast. Can I make and use that at any time even if I'm not high enough to obtain silver talents right now? Or should I wait until I start getting the silver talents?Thanks for the link for the Wiki it cleared up things in regards to the talent tree.Also what about obtaining better armor or is he stuck with the one for which he started out with in the beginning when he was given the sword?
e-ahmet said:
Check this page out: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Talents I don't know if there is a level cap but after level 50 you won't be getting any talent points (bronze, silver, gold) but don't worry about the level cap because it's not easy to reach that level anyway and it's near impossible to unlock all of the talent tree. So, choose carefully when upgrading Geralt, read the talent descriptions (I think you need to hover over them with your mouse) and decide if you really need that specific talent.

redneck1st said:
Will have to admit that I did figure out learning the descriptions just wasn't sure how the level tree worked in regards to gaining bronze, silver and gold. Being as this is my first time through I'm taking the ones for which I think will be usefull. Like the ones for which regenerate vitality and endurance as well as for any to do with potions, plants and oils. Not sure about the bombs yet.
Don't worry, I also did like that in my first playthrough and I'm sure you'll manage just fine. As for the bombs, I haven't used them but I saw people using them in boss fights etc. on Youtube and in creative ways. It looks fun.
redneck1st said:
Now I do have to ability to make a silver using a component off the beast. Can I make and use that at any time even if I'm not high enough to obtain silver talents right now? Or should I wait until I start getting the silver talents?
You can do it right away if you have the ingredients. After drinking the potion, you can use the silver talent right away.
redneck1st said:
Thanks for the link for the Wiki it cleared up things in regards to the talent tree.Also what about obtaining better armor or is he stuck with the one for which he started out with in the beginning when he was given the sword?
You're welcome. There is a better jacket from which you're wearing right now at blacksmiths and the likes but I had found it very expensive back then. If you're not having real difficulties I suggest you don't buy it. Also, there'll be a much better armor/jacket w/e you'll get through a quest. I don't remember if it was a side quest or a main quest though. EDIT: Just checked wiki, it's a primary quest starts in Chapter 4 and takes up most of Chapter 5. It's quite late in the game. It's not a quest reward, you're literally going to craft an armor in that quest.

Well now will have to admit that I'm not doing to bad so far got through the through this far without any problems at all. As for the bombs I might try them out haven't decided on them yet. Well now I believe I've got all the indgredients for which I'll need for it; or I will once I go back and get all of my stuff which I'll do soon as I get out of the sewers. I'll use it the next time for which I meditate to raise him. Well now since the jacket for which you get in the quest for which don't start till chapter 4 going into 5 wonder if it's going to be able to be carried over to Witcher 2 since you don't get it till so late in the game.
e-ahmet said:
e-ahmet said:
Will have to admit that I did figure out learning the descriptions just wasn't sure how the level tree worked in regards to gaining bronze, silver and gold. Being as this is my first time through I'm taking the ones for which I think will be usefull. Like the ones for which regenerate vitality and endurance as well as for any to do with potions, plants and oils. Not sure about the bombs yet.
Don't worry, I also did like that in my first playthrough and I'm sure you'll manage just fine. As for the bombs, I haven't used them but I saw people using them in boss fights etc. on Youtube and in creative ways. It looks fun.
e-ahmet said:
Now I do have to ability to make a silver using a component off the beast. Can I make and use that at any time even if I'm not high enough to obtain silver talents right now? Or should I wait until I start getting the silver talents?
You can do it right away if you have the ingredients. After drinking the potion, you can use the silver talent right away.
e-ahmet said:
Thanks for the link for the Wiki it cleared up things in regards to the talent tree.Also what about obtaining better armor or is he stuck with the one for which he started out with in the beginning when he was given the sword?
You're welcome. There is a better jacket from which you're wearing right now at blacksmiths and the likes but I had found it very expensive back then. If you're not having real difficulties I suggest you don't buy it. Also, there'll be a much better armor/jacket w/e you'll get through a quest. I don't remember if it was a side quest or a main quest though. EDIT: Just checked wiki, it's a primary quest starts in Chapter 4 and takes up most of Chapter 5. It's quite late in the game. It's not a quest reward, you're literally going to craft an armor in that quest.

redneck1st said:
Well now since the jacket for which you get in the quest for which don't start till chapter 4 going into 5 wonder if it's going to be able to be carried over to Witcher 2 since you don't get it till so late in the game.
There is so little info about what could be carried over to the second game and this wasn't covered in those.

I noticed that there wasn't much said about what would and wouldn't be carried over to Witcher 2. Guess we'll have to wait and find out when the game comes out or when they do in fact decide to make the anouncement. Now I'm working in a quest and need some help. This Collins guy that you kill the wraith's for in the abandoned house during the game. Is it best to rat him out to the inn or leave things be? Any pluses or minuses to either way
e-ahmet said:
e-ahmet said:
Well now since the jacket for which you get in the quest for which don't start till chapter 4 going into 5 wonder if it's going to be able to be carried over to Witcher 2 since you don't get it till so late in the game.
There is so little info about what could be carried over to the second game and this wasn't covered in those.

redneck1st said:
I noticed that there wasn't much said about what would and wouldn't be carried over to Witcher 2. Guess we'll have to wait and find out when the game comes out or when they do in fact decide to make the anouncement. Now I'm working in a quest and need some help. This Collins guy that you kill the wraith's for in the abandoned house during the game. Is it best to rat him out to the inn or leave things be? Any pluses or minuses to either way
If done correctly you can earn a few hundred orensI`ll post a link to the Witcher Wiki Quests by Act

Thanks for the Wikki on that there. I said the heck with it and let him live. Might regret not grabbing the orens for him though but thats ok. Now to try and figure out why the smith won't do business with me. Think it has something to do with the order. But that can wait for now I"m playing in the swamps and killing all sorts of cool things. A Witchers work is never done.
Tommy said:
Tommy said:
If done correctly you can earn a few hundred orensI`ll post a link to the Witcher Wiki Quests by Act

Top Bottom