Need advice on investing in a legendary card for Skellige (post 0.8.25 patch)

+
Need advice on investing in a legendary card for Skellige (post 0.8.25 patch)

So I was holding off on investing any scraps for legendary cards until the patch was released.
For the past couple of weeks or so, I've been playing Scoia mostly, but I want to try out Skellige now.

Which legendary card in your opinion is most valuable for Skellige, either from Skellige or Neutral?
I currently don't have any legendary cards from the Skellige faction.

Well Hjalmar and Kambi kind of need each other to be a really strong combo ImO. Lugos was just nerfed again, not sure about him right now, no one has really tested.
Cerys is strong. She requiert a deck built around her though (discard rez with queensguards ), so choosing her is almost choosing your whole deck, as to maximize her you'll need two silver rez, 3 priestess, and enough ability to discard to get the 3 queensguard and cerys ASAP. So that kind of decide 2 of the remaining gold slot and one or 2 remaining silver slot, and obviously you'll need Dbomb among the silver card, so yeah.
BTW Cerys decks are excessively vulnerable to graveyard robbing so beware.

For neutral legendaries... I'm wondering this myself, and I'm still hesitating. Igni seems like a strong pick bu he kind of need a selection of directed wounding to get the max out of him (to even the targeted row as much as possible=). Villentretenmerth seems an interesting choice, but double edged.
I can only see Triss as potentially useful if and only if you play with harald, to gain the ability to kill a precise gold card with up to 7 str (first triss and then harald for max efficiency if 7 is needed, other way around possible if 6 is enough (Ciri for example), but not sure she's worth a slot.
Yen... maybe in combination with harald, and especially ina self wounding deck.
Zoltan animal tamer, that's basically a gold version of a skald for SK, I'd say. It's good, since skald are usually a good pick, but not really that impressive imo.

EDIT : Forgot to talk about silvers. Beware though, as between dbomb, spies, discard cards, and silver medic cards, the place of silver card in SK discard deck is extremely errr... competitive, we could say. So if you really choose a silver legendary, you're better be sure that you will include him in your sk deck despite the competition. That's easier said than done, as epic spy and rez card are already quite attractive.

Morkvarg, I have him, he was super strong in a buffing deck 2 patches ago, that strat is STILL working now despite the shieldsmith nerf but compared to before , that feels quite underwhelming. He was buffed by 1str this patch btw. Better than nothing I guess.

Decoy : obviously a very very strong card no matter the faction. That's the advantage, even if he doesn't find its place in your sk deck despite how strong it is due to the silver card limitation, it's definitely not a lost investment AT ALL.

Last Wish : I have this one. imo it's only worth it if you run cards that have synergy with discard, like pirate captains /war longship on the board when you play it, or/and an craite raiders in your hand when you play it, as it basically means you don't get any point during the round, which is problematic to have that in your starter hand for a faction that already is struggling with the amount of str point in the first round.

Roach : honestly no for SK. With shieldsmith before the nerf, why not, but that's a silver card slot you're taking.

Ocvist : very strong pic in a wounding/harald deck imo. Can easily bring 2 cards advantage as long as he's not killed. That's the problem tho, not being killed. Ocvist will benefit of the Skellige passive so less squishy than for other faction. SK wounding Harald is probably by far the deck type which can use this card to its utmost potential. I found the times I played against that combo in Sk decks very interesting.

Operator : Not as strong anymore, but more importantly, I don't think he can compete for a silver slot in SK deck.

Last edited:
InvisibleArrow;n7165950 said:
So I was holding off on investing any scraps for legendary cards until the patch was released.
For the past couple of weeks or so, I've been playing Scoia mostly, but I want to try out Skellige now.

Which legendary card in your opinion is most valuable for Skellige, either from Skellige or Neutral?
I currently don't have any legendary cards from the Skellige faction.

Do you have the epic cards?
Sigfrida, Ermion?

What type are you want to play?
Discard? self Wounds?

Legendary for Discard.
- The Last Wish
- Madman Lugos (trust me he has the same power as before the patch and win the matches for you)
- Decoy
- Geralt:Igni

Epics:
- Ermion
- Donar an Hindar
- Birna Bran

Last edited:
Thanks Zefyris and shdcs1975 .

Zefyris , Ocvist seems an interesting option. Also considering Madman Lugos.

shdcs1975 , I'm aiming for a discard deck. I currently have all the epics you mentioned except Donar. Also have Decoy and Last Wish. Maybe Madman Lugos or Geralt: Igni would be the way to go.

Igni is a strong pic that's for sure.
Donar is definitely important in discard deck.

Not sure Ocvist would be that interesting for discard. Are you planning to run with harald as leader?

Zefyris;n7167180 said:
Not sure Ocvist would be that interesting for discard. Are you planning to run with harald as leader?
Don't have him yet. Currently running with King Bran, but kind of finding it a bit tricky with him because I keep losing card advantage late in the game.
Kind of spoilt because I used to play Scoia until very recently :D

InvisibleArrow;n7168610 said:
Don't have him yet. Currently running with King Bran, but kind of finding it a bit tricky with him because I keep losing card advantage late in the game.

King Bran is not good. You draw 25 cards with all card draw without bran. So you don't need him. While you used so much card draw you the most time the cards you needed on your hand.
Better to change Craig or Harald. Harald support the Warships with damage and his damage to gold cards is very usefull. At the moment when everyone play Dwarfs, its nice when the Power 5 Dwarf is reduced to 3.

InvisibleArrow;n7168610 said:

Get Harald. Seriously. The last patch turned him into a beast that will damage every opposing unit. Even golds!

I'm trying to make king bran work but with no real success. Sometimes it seemed like I would actually manage to win, but in the end he usually turns against you with the way he reduces your card advantage, even with the ability of drawing a gold, even with several cards allowing CA to compensate in hands, to no avail. Several times I was in a situation where Harald would have won the round easily.
That's a bit annoying seriously. If someone has an idea (I don't care if it's not OP, I would simply like to find a way to actually make that leader work rather than feeling he's a liability during the play). Discarding an crate raiders with pirate captain and/or war longship sure brings out a tremendous amount of str in one go, but the card advantage lost come back to bite you later no matter what I do.

Zefyris;n7170660 said:
I'm trying to make king bran work but with no real success. Sometimes it seemed like I would actually manage to win, but in the end he usually turns against you with the way he reduces your card advantage, even with the ability of drawing a gold, even with several cards allowing CA to compensate in hands, to no avail. Several times I was in a situation where Harald would have won the round easily.
That's a bit annoying seriously. If someone has an idea (I don't care if it's not OP, I would simply like to find a way to actually make that leader work rather than feeling he's a liability during the play). Discarding an crate raiders with pirate captain and/or war longship sure brings out a tremendous amount of str in one go, but the card advantage lost come back to bite you later no matter what I do.

I've used King Bran for a short while but the card disadvantage is just too much. Using discard strategy with First Light will allow you to draw almost your entire deck most of the times so it just isn't worth it. For another faction King Bran might have been a good option but not for Skellige.

gnarbrag;n7171070 said:
I've used King Bran for a short while but the card disadvantage is just too much. Using discard strategy with First Light will allow you to draw almost your entire deck most of the times so it just isn't worth it. For another faction King Bran might have been a good option but not for Skellige.

Yeah I faced the same problem with card advantage. I took your advice and crafted Harald and it is so much better now! Higher win rate and no more card disadvantage.
His ability is awesome. Luckily I got Yennefer in a barrel recently so I thought i'll use her with the Chironex followed by Harald. Worked pretty well in some of the games.
Thanks gnarbrag .

HArald is bound to be nerf I guess. But I sure hope that they will completely change Bran's mechanism at the same time. They should just give up on the "pick one and discard 2" type. The pick one is too strong compared to the ST leader who just pick silver, and if reduced t opick silver it's still going to be almost the same as ST except better since discarding one have a synergy. Meanwhile, discarding 2 giving a CA is too strong of a malus as well. I'd say just scrap that idea. There's plenty of way to thin your deck with SK discard, so the leader doesn't need to do that. Something else completely different that have synergy with discard deck would be cool.

Oh, and gold cards actually self wounding as well.

gnarbrag;n7171070 said:

The thing about King Bran, in my opinion, is if you are running some combination or Birna, Ermion, Udalryk and Donar; you should be using King Bran first to get one of those four you did not draw in the opening hand. Too many people try to leave Bran as the last in the chain, which is why the card loss is so difficult to work with. Play him first to get your other enablers (and if using Raiders, get them on the field) to solidify your first turn - then play spies if you intend to pass (or Save Donar for WX if you expect it).

Treamayne;n7191990 said:
The thing about King Bran, in my opinion, is if you are running some combination or Birna, Ermion, Udalryk and Donar; you should be using King Bran first to get one of those four you did not draw in the opening hand. Too many people try to leave Bran as the last in the chain, which is why the card loss is so difficult to work with. Play him first to get your other enablers (and if using Raiders, get them on the field) to solidify your first turn - then play spies if you intend to pass (or Save Donar for WX if you expect it).

When u used King Bran then you go -1 cards. That means that you don't play last. And when you play with all Card Draws then you don't need him, because you draw already 25 cards and got all the cards you needed to your hand. With 6 card that draw is the chance to have none of them on the starting hand very low.

shdcs1975;n7192310 said:
When u used King Bran then you go -1 cards. That means that you don't play last. And when you play with all Card Draws then you don't need him, because you draw already 25 cards and got all the cards you needed to your hand. With 6 card that draw is the chance to have none of them on the starting hand very low.

My point was not that Bran was superior, my point was if you don't have another leader and need to use King Bran, there is a more effective way to use him. Also, not all people reading this thread for ideas will have all the ideal Epic and Legend cards available, so tips on using what they do have can be of help to some. In general, Decoy will often fix the -1 CA from Bran in terms of playing last. Good discards will also allow you to pass earlier in Round 1/2 which also return the CA lost, as long as you spend it in round 1.

Don't forget, passing is a situation where it takes more than one card for the opponent to catch up/win the round is also card advantage, not just raw Drawing power.

Top Bottom