Need help: Low FPS after five minutes of play

+
Hello. I didn't find something similar on the new patch, but here's what the problem I have:

1. At the start of the game I have 60 FPS
2. After spending 5 minutes in the game and slightly changing the location, FPS drops to 40-45.
3. Returning to the starting location, FPS does not rise.
RT – off
DLSS – Quality

Video with the problem attached:
(FPS drop 4:35)

Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2689 @ 3.25GHz - 16 threads
Memory: 32 GB RAM
Video: MSI RTX 3060 TI
DeepCool 700W (DA700)

gpu usage doesent change (and never hits 100%). Im guessing your CPU bound or something similar. If its your pc or the game i dont know. V-sync on? try turning it off too se if you get higher FPS and if it drops the same way. What happends if you turn off DLSS?

gpu usage doesent change (and never hits 100%). Im guessing your CPU bound or something similar. If its your pc or the game i dont know. V-sync on? try turning it off too se if you get higher FPS and if it drops the same way. What happends if you turn off DLSS?

V-sync is on. But when I turn V-sync off, nothing happens. When the DLSS is turned off or changed to ultra performance, the frame rate does not rise. I don't think the GPU is the problem. In DDR2 on ultra settings and DLSS, the frame rate is stable. GPU is 100% and CPU is 60% stable. GOW is also all stable. I already had a frame rate drop problem in Forest (game), but there was a problem with the RAM cache in it.

Has the memory leak issue been fixed in this patch yet?

I read that the Fps drop may be due to RAM overflow.
Post automatically merged:

The same problem on the lowest graphics settings.
Post automatically merged:

FPS does not increase even with a screen resolution 1280*720

Last edited:
Hello. I didn't find something similar on the new patch, but here's what the problem I have:

1. At the start of the game I have 60 FPS
2. After spending 5 minutes in the game and slightly changing the location, FPS drops to 40-45.
3. Returning to the starting location, FPS does not rise.
RT – off
DLSS – Quality

Video with the problem attached:
(FPS drop 4:35)

Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2689 @ 3.25GHz - 16 threads
Memory: 32 GB RAM
Video: MSI RTX 3060 TI
DeepCool 700W (DA700)
Have tried finding confirmation that FPS ratings dropping the longer you play, is perfectly normal, but couldn't. So, not gonna say it is normal. However, as you start playing your system is cold and fresh, and therefor at that moment you'll enjoy the highest FPS.

But the longer you play, the more stress you put on your GPU and CPU generating more heat. By work management, your components will slow work speed in order to preserve and protect themselves. That will be at the cost of your FPS.

Normally, the lower the graphic settings, the higher the FPS. But if you say that is not the case in yours, that could indicate an issue. You can consider to file a bug-report concerning this issue at Support here.

Can also try these steps:

How do I fix FPS drops in cyberpunk?

Try these fixes

1. Make sure your specs meet the requirements.
  2. Change your Power Plan to Ultimate Performance.
  3. Update your graphics driver.
  4. Install all Windows updates.
  5. Enable HAGS (hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling)
  6. Change in-game graphics settings.

V-sync is on. But when I turn V-sync off, nothing happens. When the DLSS is turned off or changed to ultra performance, the frame rate does not rise. I don't think the GPU is the problem. In DDR2 on ultra settings and DLSS, the frame rate is stable. GPU is 100% and CPU is 60% stable. GOW is also all stable. I already had a frame rate drop problem in Forest (game), but there was a problem with the RAM cache in it.

Has the memory leak issue been fixed in this patch yet?
Sounds more and more like your CPU bound. Your Cpu cant push frames any faster too the GPU. Thats a fairly old cpu and a XEON at that (low clockspeeds). Also when you spawn in its relativly low on the load. driving around will spawn npc/cars and so on, it will increase the load on the system. Heck even me with a 3900x and a 3090 gets cpu bound at lower resolutions.

That you have the same FPS with lower fidelity settings is a clear indicator that the thing setting limitations isent the GPU. Lowering DLSS dont allways gain more fps since all your doing is lowering the resolution on rendering. Lower res=more load on cpu. If the cpu is already strained you wont gain more when lowering the resolution.

In my opinion it is not caused by the CPU because I also have 8 core 16 thread CPU (i7 10700KF) and i dont have problem with the game. This game can utilize 8 core 16 thread CPU with no problem.

Now my sugestion to you would be to reinstall GPU driver with DDU if that does not help you can try to download ISLC(Intelligent standby list cleaner) I am using it too and it helped me with 1% low FPS.

Also what RAM speed do you have ?

Its DDR3 ram i think. Thats why i said clockspeed not threads. Since the gpu usage doesnt increase with v sync disabled or resolution drop (DLSS) id say your limiting how much usage you get outa the gfx card. The drop in framerate is kinda interesting but im guessing the load just increaded on gpu/cpu (loading in more stuff around you).

Edit: noticed now, gpu usage drops from 60% too 47% when framerate drops. When you agro the arisaka guards. Guessing something put a heavier strain on the cpu at that point (AI on guards?)

Thank you all for your advice.

I found a solution.
Maybe it's not related to that, but I reinstalled my OS. Deleted Windows 11 and installed Windows 10.
Made a clean installation of the drivers.
In heavy scenes, FPS is really low (45 fps) and yes I know that the processor is a bottleneck, but now basically the system keeps a stable 60 FPS.
The processor is really old, but it works quietly and I'm not going to change it yet.

Here is a test after an hour of play -

Ultra Settings - 2560x1080 - Xeon 2689 is not dead yet.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Thank you all for your advice.

I found a solution.
Maybe it's not related to that, but I reinstalled my OS. Deleted Windows 11 and installed Windows 10.
Made a clean installation of the drivers.
In heavy scenes, FPS is really low (45 fps) and yes I know that the processor is a bottleneck, but now basically the system keeps a stable 60 FPS.
The processor is really old, but it works quietly and I'm not going to change it yet.

Here is a test after an hour of play -

Ultra Settings - 2560x1080 - Xeon 2689 is not dead yet.
Your new installation seems to run a lot better! in the video of your original post, the FPS dropped as soon as your RAM was hitting 10025 MB. The GPU temp decreased right after the FPS drop, so I don't think that your GPU was the problem. I also think that it has been caused by the old OS. Maybe due to old drivers that were installed for other hardware in the past. This might be very likely in case you have upgraded your Windows over the years, e.g. from Windows 7 to 10 and then to 11...

hehe kinda glad i havent upgraded too windows 11 yet. Might have been as DC9V said a old driver or something messing with it. Or might have been just windows 11 not liking something. Anyways glad its better.

When I moved to windows 11 I had to disable a lot of background processes, microsoft dvr and enable game mode to get the same performance as before. In case it helps someone.

Hello! My rig is 5600x + 3070 + 48GB RAM + NVME SSD. About performance leak, when you can get low fps and won't get it back even if u fast travel into desert outside of NC. There is no matter how heavy scene is, can happen everywhere. If i save, close the game and load back - fps gets back to normal in the exact same scene and place. It seems to be a engine's VRAM usage issue, here is what i've noticed: my gpu is always utilised for 100%, note: it is 100% of graphical processor only, not VRAM. Also i've been monitoring power usage of my videocard, in CP it's normally near 190watt, but when i'm getting performance leak - it becomes only 100watt, and GPU is still 100% utilised. That means VRAM not getting power because game stops using it. My conclusion - game stops using VRAM and starts to use RAM instead. And that explains the only fix - close the game and restart.

Hello! My rig is 5600x + 3070 + 48GB RAM + NVME SSD. About performance leak, when you can get low fps and won't get it back even if u fast travel into desert outside of NC. There is no matter how heavy scene is, can happen everywhere. If i save, close the game and load back - fps gets back to normal in the exact same scene and place. It seems to be a engine's VRAM usage issue, here is what i've noticed: my gpu is always utilised for 100%, note: it is 100% of graphical processor only, not VRAM. Also i've been monitoring power usage of my videocard, in CP it's normally near 190watt, but when i'm getting performance leak - it becomes only 100watt, and GPU is still 100% utilised. That means VRAM not getting power because game stops using it. My conclusion - game stops using VRAM and starts to use RAM instead. And that explains the only fix - close the game and restart.
Totally agreed. Having the exact same issue since 1.5 with same hardware( 16 gigs RAM). Not sure when this is going to get fixed.

Almost the same PC, but I am 32G RAM.
Starting the program, total power is 200w, chip poweris 130w.
Running for a while, the total power is 160w - 170w. chip power is 110 w.

It feels like the chip is assigned work, but it keeps waiting.

I can confirm that.

Happens since 1.5 mainly in situations with lots of light sources and active RT (no matter what settings). Seems like after a while the VRAM won't be freed up or overused because it usually occurs when the VRAM is maxed out at 8GB.

FPS drops in these areas from around 55-60 to lower than 30 and are still lowered 20-30% when leaving the area.

Quit to main menu brings the fps back.

3700X, MSI 3070, 32GB RAM.

Last edited:

Forum regular
I had fps drops in the city center and other places with high density of people and cars. Even if i set resolution to 720p and low detais i had the same fps like on ultra setting with 1440p. CPU load was over 70% so i thought that the game cant effectively utilize all CPU cores/threads. With the hope that upgrade of CPU may help me i bought new CPU (Ryzen 7 2700x swapped for 5800x) and guess what? Nothing changed :-D CPU load is the same and FPS drops too. I have 32GB RAM and game uses about 10GB, “virtual memory” of Win is off. it cant be problem of memory. But its true i can play 5 minutes or 5 hours and i have still stable 60FPS. Except certain areas what cant be solved :-/

it cant be problem of memory.
At least not the RAM, but the VRAM usage. Graphics card power has significantly more influence than CPU and/or RAM. Cyberpunk also doesn't scale particularly well with more than 6 CPU cores.

I had fps drops in the city center and other places with high density of people and cars. Even if i set resolution to 720p and low detais i had the same fps like on ultra setting with 1440p. CPU load was over 70% so i thought that the game cant effectively utilize all CPU cores/threads. With the hope that upgrade of CPU may help me i bought new CPU (Ryzen 7 2700x swapped for 5800x) and guess what? Nothing changed :-D CPU load is the same and FPS drops too. I have 32GB RAM and game uses about 10GB, “virtual memory” of Win is off. it cant be problem of memory. But its true i can play 5 minutes or 5 hours and i have still stable 60FPS. Except certain areas what cant be solved :-/
Raising the priority solves frame drops where there are a lot of people.
Although this method looks like a decade old

Top Bottom