Need Help to understand Thompson

+
Hey all, I just started an other run and got a question:

The first we see Johnny is the flashback to the year 2023. On the way to the tower Johnny, Rogue and Thompson have a short talk about all the riots on the streets.

During the Transmission Job V has an other flashback to the raid on Arasaka before the Johnny's final raid we have seen in the first flashback. This time he tries to save Alt. He fails and attacks Thompson. After the flashback V asks what happened to Thompson. Johnny replies that he never saw him again.

But if he never saw him again, who is Thomson from the first flashback? Was Johnny's answer to V a lie, is it just an other Thompson, is it a mistake on CDPR's side? Do I miss something?

Could be a lie, in which case - how can we find out? Apparently we can't.

Could be mistake by CDPR - but again, how can we be sure? We can't.

Since "According to the 2010 United States Census, Thompson was the 23rd most frequently reported surname, accounting for 0.23% of the population". Make it ~400M, give or take, of all the people who can be "that" Thompson, so 0.23% then means it's ~1M Thompsons.

One. Freaking. Million.

:D :D :D

I asked myself the same question, but I assumed an error on the part of CDPR.
"we are not at the scooters", i'm nearly sur it's thompson :)

Is the same Thompson, but Alt told you that Johnny memories are not 100% accurate more a perception of him of what happened ("a warped account of events"...)...might be also that CDPR just mess it up a little bit this two scenes of course; its also quite convenient to contradict lore a little bit.

There's a post by Mike Pondsmith on Reddit where he explains Johnny is an unreliable narrator here, which is why the whole 'Saka tower episode has pieces missing. Apparently this is because Johnny soaked up so many rads from the nuclear explosion that it affected the recording of his engram.

The first we see Johnny is the flashback to the year 2023. On the way to the tower Johnny, Rogue and Thompson have a short talk about all the riots on the streets.

During the Transmission Job V has an other flashback to the raid on Arasaka before the Johnny's final raid we have seen in the first flashback. This time he tries to save Alt. He fails and attacks Thompson. After the flashback V asks what happened to Thompson. Johnny replies that he never saw him again.

But if he never saw him again, who is Thomson from the first flashback? Was Johnny's answer to V a lie, is it just an other Thompson, is it a mistake on CDPR's side? Do I miss something?
Same Thompson. Johnny either forgot about him being part of the 2023 raid, or the writers goofed. I'm leaning towards the latter, because it happens sometimes.

Same Thompson. Johnny either forgot about him being part of the 2023 raid, or the writers goofed. I'm leaning towards the latter, because it happens sometimes.
Ok. Thanks. Do you have any source that I can read, detached from the game?

The only explanation I can think of that means Johnny didn't lie or misremember nor did the writers goof is;

Although Thompson was part of the 2023 operation and provided media coverage of the events. The conversation between Thompson and those present in the chopper was via radio and Thompson was not present in the chopper. Ergo Johnny never did 'see' Thompson again. it was maybe a case of, yes Johnny was aware Thompson was part of the 2023 operation. However, Johnny perhaps made it clear he didn't want Thompson near him, just keep him out of my way/sight so to speak.

Alternatively Johnny did see Thompson breifly again and did lie however, hated Thompson that much he didnt want to talk about him any further with V. So it was simply easier for Johnny to end the conversation with V by saying, i didnt see him again. Rather than, I saw him as part of the 2023 saka tower incident blah blah blah. OR when Johnny says to V I didnt see him again, he actually means I didnt see him again after Saka tower, as well how could he Johnny gets soulkilled after the events of saka tower 2023. Therefore he's just being economical with the truth.

Last edited:

Johnny is an unreliable narrator. Whether its lies, hyperbole, muddled memories, or relic being only 60% accurate in the early days, you can't assume everything he, or any other character tells you is objectively true.
Post automatically merged:

Firestorm Stormfront and Firestorm Shockwave from the Cyberpunk 2020 TTRPG goes into detail about the 2023 raid.
the cyberpunk red version is supposed to be the one closest aligned with cyberpunk 2077

Top Bottom