Need Some Cyberspace in my Cyberpunk

+
I'll admit it took me a while to notice it was missing, but this game needs some kind of cyberspace environment to enter and explore. I play as a netrunner and even in my apt my internet is some webpages. Ew. :ROFLMAO:

Entering Cyberspace is a pretty fundamental aspect of the genre, no?

So I realize it's not needed for quick hacks and the like but within storymode or side activities their should be some kind of dynamic for entering and exploring cyberspace.

There. That is my suggestion.

I wasn't really expecting to get it (I was hoping, but doubtful), but damn would I love a game with a decent virtual net setup.

I was going to write something about this. I did not even see the inital trailer that you mentioned but I was having very similar ideas.

I think maybe it could be like this:

- Get close to the target area / house / apartment
- Look around for an access point, cyberware could help with that
- When jacked in, need to make sure that you are not noticed while your eyes are twisted backwards in your eyesockets...
- Get a cyberspace view of the whole area, this could be ingame, with heavily distorted colors, transparency etc.
- In cyberspace view, breach your way from device to device, disabling cameras, alarms on doors, unlock doors etc.

I think many of these planned and removed interactions suffer the problem that the world is so big. It's a huge chore to constantly keep updating the whole environment, to conform to certain playstyle specific triggers and objects, like creating a distinct cyberspace environment.
They would probably need to work on abstracting the code in a way that is general enough to generate the cyberspace environments for all kinds of situations, instead of manually creating them for every instance.
I feel like the idea of hopping from camera to camera was the only compromise that felt doable given the time, but it doesn't feel like "cyberspace".

Last edited:
I was thinking also for data heist missions where cyberspace is digital stylized representation of Night City and you need to go to some "building" defeat its firewall/ICE to retrieve or plant data all while actually seated at your desk, jacked into your deck. Or missions where you need to deal with some AI or something like that. Or like you said for research a place or people.

I'll admit it took me a while to notice it was missing, but this game needs some kind of cyberspace environment to enter and explore. I play as a netrunner and even in my apt my internet is some webpages. Ew. :ROFLMAO:

Entering Cyberspace is a pretty fundamental aspect of the genre, no?

So I realize it's not needed for quick hacks and the like but within storymode or side activities their should be some kind of dynamic for entering and exploring cyberspace.

There. That is my suggestion.

I never thought of it that way, but OMG you are soo right, we do need Cyberspace in Cyberpunk 2077.

Ok, so in the future your apartment becomes even more important as that's where you "upgrade" your Home Networking system and network. Keep up the defensive firewalls, make sure to use filtering and tunneling and of course definitely VPN that stuff out to other parts of the city so that the hackers backtracing you are longer timed to retrieve your apartment IP address location.

Dang, imagine actually Hacking your own apartments complex and you can check out your city's grid of traffic cameras from your own apartment.

OK, maybe I am reaching here lol.

For those old enough to remember the 90s, Shadowrun for Sega Genesis had a more in-depth matrix/cyberspace than CP2077.... A bit sad really.
hqdefault.jpg
shadowrun.021.png

189726-shadowrun-genesis-screenshot-computer-systems-can-be-filled.jpg

It even inspired an opensource game called Decker where you are a hacker, doing matrix runs shadowun2 style.

hqdefault.jpg

Was SUPER disappointed that hacking wasn't more...involved. I'm hoping that adding a little more variation is planned as an update.
That'll be point 101 on the list then... ;)

...on topic: Yea, netrunning is a bit basic, like most of the game's systems, to be honest. Pity, I always wanted a true representation of cyberspace in a game like this, but it usually turns out like that.

Hi,
cdprojekt said: "In Cyberspace (virtual reality world) it will be possible to summon creatures and warriors in order to burn other hackers, for example." Apparently none of this is present, it's a real shame ... Basically, inspired by the cyberpunk role-playing game 2020 (which I play by the way), removing this integral part of the cyberpunk world is inconceivable! We come back to modern point and click in 3d, or see Berlin XVIII play on a pc ... The impression it gives is to have put a "black wall" by Netwatch and basta, business concluded. They found the solution to avoid many screens showing (real) hack in cyberspace, broadcast and even said by cdprojekt but nothing came out in the final. Big disappointment for this big lack. Correcting the AI too is catastrophic! You place your motorcycle on the edge of the sidewalk, stopper ... the NPCs do not know how to honk or overtake, others look like zombies who only go back and forth, others pop! In short, I hope that all of this will improve. The game has potential but those who are familiar with the cyberpunk universe may be disappointed, I am. Thank you.

This is such a tough one...as a CP 2020 GM, I remember how hard it was to integrate a Netrunner's character into the main adventure. Because hacking was so integral to the original CP "Bibles" like Neuromancer and Hardwired, it was obvious why Pondsmith wanted to include it, but it was always miles away from what the other PCs were doing. Hacking "remotes" was probably the closest you could make it, and it seems like that's the thread CDPR picked up. It really almost needs a separate game. That being said, if you can be a braindance detective, why can't you make a run on some datafort ICE?

Top Bottom