Need some help.

+
Need some help.

Hello I am planning to upgrade my PC around march/april next year to prepare for TW3 so my question is:Is the Nvidia 760(not overclocked) compatible with my motherboard (Intel G41)?

BoreasMunbg said:
Hello I am planning to upgrade my PC around march/april next year to prepare for TW3 so my question is:Is the Nvidia 760(not overclocked) compatible with my motherboard (Intel G41)?

Intel G41 is a chipset, not a specific motherboard. However according to [1], this chipset comes with one PCI-Express x16 rev 1.1. This means it is one of the early PCI-Express and features lower bandwidth than the PCI-E 3.0 of the GTX 760. As far as I know all PCI-E are backwards compatible, so you should be able to insert the card and use it but not at full speed.

One really important thing to keep in mind is the power supply. What is your PSU make and model? You might run into annoying issues if your system can't power up cards like the 760.

Lastly, like the above poster said, we don't know anything about system requirements for TW3. We don't know how well a GTX 760 will be able to run a game like this, so your expectations on performance should probably be conservative. Most likely a GTX 760 will play the game OK at decent (medium or so) settings, but again, we don't know anything.

If you have the money, you might consider a new motherboard to take full advantage of a modern video card. And possibly a new power supply.

--
[1] http://ark.intel.com/products/36528/82G41-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller-Hub

Thank you for the answer Volsung,i don't know my current PSU model but i know that its 450 watts which are not enough for an Nvidia 760 card so i was planning to buy this PSU: http://www.coolermaster.com/service/support/model/RS-500-ASAB/
Also i think a 760 will perform good given the fact that my monitor's highest resolution is 1280x1024

go for antec EW series, HCG series and corsair TX series, HX series
seasonic PSU also very good

Guest 2091327

500W isn't much of an upgrade. It's better to make a proper upgrade when you are buying new anyway. Make sure they have good supply on the 12V line.

550 W is now like standard, but 500 W (even 450) should be enough (I would take 500W at least). That depend on your OC activities ;)

Coolermaster, Seasonic, Enermax

Yes wait till u know when Witcher 3 comes up & get new stuff when it arrives....but most likely just updating the graphic card will result in having less performance ... some wise man said to me once "a system is only as strong as it weakest part" ... ;)/>/>/>/>/>/> So you dont get your moneys worth by adjusting single parts ... my resolution .. get yourself a whole new set & stick with it 3 years or so^^ ... & waiting is the key since time will alter the prices for hardware^^

Just had a similar discussion .. but it was more about where do I get the parts & which deal is best maybe you check it out too

[Discussion starts later @ my third comment]
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36793-old-win-7-key-for-new-system/page__p__1051170__fromsearch__1#entry1051170

Some PCI-e 1.0a (2003-2005) motherboards have compatibility problems with newer cards. But there haven't been outright incompatibilities like that since PCI-e 1.1 was introduced.

I have to question that recommendation for a CoolerMaster power supply. CoolerMaster has put out really, really awful power supplies in the past. They've gotten better, but that GX-Lite 500W you linked is a discontinued power supply shaped fire hazard slapped together by ATNG. Enhance-made CoolerMasters (most of the CM Silent Pro line) are quite a bit better.

Seasonic (and Antec and Corsair, which resell Seasonic under their own labels) dominate the quality power supply market at lower wattages and popular prices. Any Seasonic (especially S12II, M12II), most Corsair (though they've been changing their manufacturers for the worse), and some Antec (especially HCG, Neo Eco, and True Power New) are good quality.

If you want to find out who really makes power supplies, Tom's Hardware publishes a comprehensive and regularly updated list: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html

Thanks for the answer Guy i guess i am gonna go for a Corsair PSU because my local vendors do not have any Antec or Seasonic.

Actually after looking closer i found that one of my local vendors offers SeaSonic PSU's so i guess when the time comes i am gonna buy one. Thanks again to all of you kind people who helped me.

Top Bottom