Needs More Purify

+
SO It's good to know NR have even more consistent answers for defenders than I first thought! Can all the other factions one shot SY double defender?

SY Kalkstein just can puryfy two at once, MO can just eat two bugs with all others cards with 1 strengh on the field. On top of tnat SY is not so popular now in the meta that it could make big difference

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Its ridiculous to consider NR Boiling Oil as a purify option.

The main reason you need an offensive purify is to purify enemy defenders... And since you cant target any other units on that row, all you can do is target the defender with boiling oil, so its no better than a thunder and definitely wont kill the defender, failing to immediately deal with defender which is essential in some cases.

Not to mention more often than not that stupid boiling oil effect actually hurts you more than helps, you cant really use locks or bleeding or you might be purifying them if the opponents know he should put removal bait next to those. I would rather use Alzurs thunder, same cost.

Agree. I never understood why players use Boiling Oil. I'd rather play Strays of Spalla and move defender to the other row.

You left off NG Mage infiltrator 👍:beer:

I didn't know i's is possbile to put him between SY defenders, that is why I skip that part

The main reason you need an offensive purify is to purify enemy defenders... And since you cant target any other units on that row, all you can do is target the defender with boiling oil, so its no better than a thunder and definitely wont kill the defender, failing to immediately deal with defender which is essential in some cases.

Not to mention more often than not that stupid boiling oil effect actually hurts you more than helps, you cant really use locks or bleeding or you might be purifying them if the opponents know he should put removal bait next to those. I would rather use Alzurs thunder, same cost.

As I said ealier in these thread, boiling oil should puryfy unit that it deals domage, not an adjacent unit. It just would be a little bit better version of neutral card that is already doing almost the same (4dmg + puryfy)
Post automatically merged:

Agree. I never understood why players use Boiling Oil.

Because of synergy with Reinforced Ballista as a warfare, nothing more

I didn't know i's is possbile to put him between SY defenders, that is why I skip that part

As I said ealier in these thread, boiling oil should puryfy unit that it deals domage, not an adjacent unit. It just would be a little bit better version of neutral card that is already doing almost the same (4dmg + puryfy)

Because of synergy with Reinforced Ballista as a warfare, nothing more

Actually I assume you can, because I could have sworn spy units ignore defenders. I could be wrong on that though, and my memory I missed my opponent purifying my defender first.

Quick point about using GlustyWorp, you can use him to take out the defenders (I have before), but he is a 9p card that generally is included alongside a supporting bronze package. So by using him on defenders you are often going to be left with a couple of 4p bricks in your deck. It is definitely a risk/reward move.
He is a bit too situational to be a tech option, but he can get more value in this meta that runs a lot of spies.

Oh, I'm assuming you can also use boiling oil to neutralise SY defender too.
You kill the one you target and purify the adjacent defender.

Btw, I actually agree that Boiling oil should probably purify it's target rather than adjacent cards. I never really understood that, and assumed the card was created when invigorate was more of a thing. I guess it matches up well against ST.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Actually I assume you can, because I could have sworn spy units ignore defenders. I could be wrong on that though, and my memory I missed my opponent purifying my defender first.

Quick point about using GlustyWorp, you can use him to take out the defenders (I have before), but he is a 9p card that generally is included alongside a supporting bronze package. So by using him on defenders you are often going to be left with a couple of 4p bricks in your deck. It is definitely a risk/reward move.
He is a bit too situational to be a tech option, but he can get more value in this meta that runs a lot of spies.

You kill the one you target and purify the adjacent defender.

Btw, I actually agree that Boiling oil should probably purify it's target rather than adjacent cards. I never really understood that, and assumed the card was created when invigorate was more of a thing. I guess it matches up well against ST.

Spy units dont 'ignore' defenders. A defender simply stops you from directly targetting any unit on that row. It doesnt stop you from playing any spy in any location of that row - example: you can play a mage infiltrator/cow carcass between any 2 units you want on a row with defender, but with a duchess's informant, you can put it on the defender row but not select any bronze units on that row (unless its the SY's defenders, which are bronze and you can copy)

And yes, you can use boiling oil in the way you mentioned to neutralize SY's defenders, so i guess boiling oil is the opposite of every other offensive purify: good vs SY defenders and bad vs the other 5 defenders. :shrug:

@DRK3
I politely remind both of You that in Gwent still are points that decide about winning or loose. And therefore if You use Boiling oil to destroy one of SY defenders and puryfy other one, the scoreboard after that kind of move is still 0-6 for opponent, and You're play is worth only miserably 1point what in the third round could decide about loose. So using boiling oil aginst SY defender is in the end of the day very, very bad move.

Last edited:
Playing a devotion deck is entirely optional. There should be downsides.

I feel like this would be going down the path of giving all factions all answers to all problems.

They have already achieved that with SK, and people hate how OP it is.

But I’ve already pointed that literally every other faction has multiple options for purifying. Why should NR be excluded? Seems like an oversight, to me.

How many do you need? You've got cheap neutrals like Crow's Eye or Pellar.
Those are neutral cards, which means they can’t be used in decks with NR’s Viraxas Prince.
Again, every other faction in the game has multiple faction-exclusive cards that purify. NR is the only one that does not. This is clearly an oversight.

Oh, I totally agree. Boiling oil can’t do anything about defenders. Just one more reason why NR is unfairly handicapped when it comes to statuses.

i agree, North have only one purify card and you need to put it betwen your cards to purify too unit,
NG have a card who purify the whole line for the same price

I think it would be pretty cool if Coocodack was playable as an agent on the hostile side (like NG spies) and he would purify adjacent units on deploy would be pretty sweet, but also let him dmg himself by 4 or 5 points. This would ofc be an option in addition to his already existing defensive purification ability, so you chose either a defensive or an offensive purify (defensive one gives you points while offensive one is minus points like NG spies BUT it adds some very versatile flexibility which would make it strong).

Top Bottom