Needs More Purify

+
NR does not have enough options for purification, period.

With the introduction of the MM set, players are now being strongly encouraged to use “devotion” decks which leaves NR with literally ONE card that has a single-use purify: Coodcoodak. Meanwhile, boiling oil is the only option available for purifying opposing units and you have to score a death blow to trigger it.

the NR “devotion” deck is dependent upon units that use orders, which means the deck is especially prone to locks and poison. Because of the limited options, you’re basically forced to play with Coodcoodak and once you use him, you’re defenseless against negative statuses.

SY, NG, SK, ST, and MS all have either multiple cards that can purify or cards that can purify multiple times.

Playing a devotion deck is entirely optional. There should be downsides.

I feel like this would be going down the path of giving all factions all answers to all problems.

They have already achieved that with SK, and people hate how OP it is.

Puryfying of opponent defender by faction puryfier just like.in all other factions will make faction OP? You're kidding writing these I hope?

Puryfying of opponent defender by faction puryfier just like.in all other factions will make faction OP? You're kidding writing these I hope?
I expected you to reply. :beer:

What I'm saying is there should be pros and cons for every faction, especially now devotion is a thing. Neutral cards do exist after all.

Besides doesn't Kerack City guard allow you to move a Defender anyway? That's pretty much problem solved in many situations.

Last edited:
I expected you to

Well, thanks than, nice to hear that You like to discuss with me even if we have different points of view sometimes :)
Post automatically merged:

What I'm saying is there should be pros and cons for every faction, especially now devotion is a thing.

I think that every faction shold be able to counter every other faction / gamestyle , and if that will happen one beautiful day , that the game will be more or less balanced. Situation like descriebed in these thread when You can't run devotion deck because You are unable to get rid of opponent's defender shouldn't have place in game, and many other similar examples

Neutral cards do exist after all.

Pellar with 4 points strengh and zero synergy with NR decks vs every othe other factional puryfier that sometimes even can do "something" else than puryfy if needed? No, that is out of balance for sure

Besides doesn't Kerack City guard allow you to move a Defender anyway? That's pretty much problem solved in many situations.

NG defender moved to another row + for example letho creating second defender in other row? Auto loose. No mention that kerrack city guard even don't have a zeal so before it will move defender the action behind defender can be taken. No, that is terrible solution, problems with moving defender vs Puryfying defender is out of discussion

Last edited:
Purify is such a key tool, both offensively and defensively, that I do think it's unfair NR is so disadvantaged with their options.
Especially the zero faction-specific, non-conditional, offensive Purify cards. With all those Defenders and now Veils running around... yeah, it just isn't fair.

And when the faction relies on Orders as much as it does and Locks are as numerous as they are... I don't need to be an NR player to find it unfair.

Purify is such a key tool, both offensively and defensively, that I do think it's unfair NR is so disadvantaged with their options.
Especially the zero faction-specific, non-conditional, offensive Purify cards. With all those Defenders and now Veils running around... yeah, it just isn't fair.

And when the faction relies on Orders as much as it does and Locks are as numerous as they are... I don't need to be an NR player to find it unfair.

Coockoduck is just a relict of times when no one even imagine that something binary as defenders will be introduced into the game, ans locks was still very good and popular offensive option. Therefore coockooduck with his ability to puryfy two locked units at once was it those times really strong support for order cards,and he was one-man army aginst NG decks. But the Times has changed, yet coockooduck still is the same as he was one year ago. Someone just overseen it and that is a root of the problem;
I also think that nothing will happend if boiling oil will puryfy and deal 5 dmg to the unit, instead of Puryfying adjacent unit - it could be just a little bit boosted, faction equivalent of similar, already existing usefull neutral card

Last edited:
Maybe I’m not a good enough player to be sensitive to a need for purify units, but I don’t notice a problem. Defenders only require one purify and they do nothing to stop NR’s strength (its engines). Veil is hardly a threat to NR as it has only one lock unit, no poison units, and except for Pastodi, it’s few bleeding units can typically find other targets.

Purifying friendly units tends to be an issue for all factions - but that’s part of why locks have value. NR has a large number of interchangeable units so locks are less an issue than for most factions. If Anna gets locked, use drummer or Nenneke. If Priscilla is locked, use adepts. And if you fear locks on units with orders, use a zeal granting unit.

Yes, devotion comes with drawbacks, particularly few purify units, but NR has good tools to handle those drawbacks.

Maybe I’m not a good enough player to be sensitive to a need for purify units, but I don’t notice a problem. Defenders only require one purify and they do nothing to stop NR’s strength (its engines). Veil is hardly a threat to NR as it has only one lock unit, no poison units, and except for Pastodi, it’s few bleeding units can typically find other targets.

Purifying friendly units tends to be an issue for all factions - but that’s part of why locks have value. NR has a large number of interchangeable units so locks are less an issue than for most factions. If Anna gets locked, use drummer or Nenneke. If Priscilla is locked, use adepts. And if you fear locks on units with orders, use a zeal granting unit.

Yes, devotion comes with drawbacks, particularly few purify units, but NR has good tools to handle those drawbacks.

Following Your reasoning boosting decks/factions doesn't need counters for anything because they in theory just can play around it doing value itself somehow. And indeed there are some decks that are able to do it (just like in previous season boosted MO kikimora deck with almost zero control was really strong). What does not change a fact, that there are many ways to create a deck, and not every faction player is playing the same strategy. Therefore if there are Monsters or NR players that prefer to play control instead of boosting deck (or combination of both) they should have tools to do that. And that is why rework of NR puryfier is imminent, otherwise it will be always unnecessary inbalance in the game. Especially in the lght of fact, that every other faction puryfier is able to puryfy opponents defender with no problem , and they are even multi -use engines sometimes (like in SY or SK)

This is why Devotion, while cool is not ideal. You give up so much to run it...
While Devotion isn't* cool. :p There is basically just one meta for devotion decks and every devotion deck by one faction looks exactly the effin same (98%) like any other Devotion deck by the same faction. :[
Your devotion deck is centered around that one evolving card, and you build your deck to go with him, and since there is just one type of evolving cards for each faction = just one single meta for a devotion deck.
Now if they had multiple of those evolving cards with very different effects... idk might be interesting but they need to make more cards for those.

While probably not optimal I use Seltkirk or Anseis to deal with defenders with my devotion deck, just make sure you can boost them quickly somehow. Feels less binary too.
If you decide to switch to neutral try out Siegfried. I actually kind of like playing him, it seems I'm the only one.

Following Your reasoning boosting decks/factions doesn't need counters for anything because they in theory just can play around it doing value itself somehow. And indeed there are some decks that are able to do it (just like in previous season boosted MO kikimora deck with almost zero control was really strong). What does not change a fact, that there are many ways to create a deck, and not every faction player is playing the same strategy. Therefore if there are Monsters or NR players that prefer to play control instead of boosting deck (or combination of both) they should have tools to do that. And that is why rework of NR puryfier is imminent, otherwise it will be always unnecessary inbalance in the game. Especially in the lght of fact, that every other faction puryfier is able to puryfy opponents defender with no problem , and they are even multi -use engines sometimes (like in SY or SK)
I don’t know what control decks you are considering so I could be overlooking something, but the NR control decks of which I am aware are pretty able to either destroy or play around defenders — this is also true of SK, but not of SY, MO, or ST. And while I am a big advocate of deck variety and hate features that shut down entire archetypes, I don’t think it is necessary or even possible to have every archetype benefit equally from every mechanism.

Well, thanks than, nice to hear that You like to discuss with me even if we have different points of view sometimes :)

I think that every faction shold be able to counter every other faction / gamestyle , and if that will happen one beautiful day , that the game will be more or less balanced. Situation like descriebed in these thread when You can't run devotion deck because You are unable to get rid of opponent's defender shouldn't have place in game, and many other similar examples

Pellar with 4 points strengh and zero synergy with NR decks vs every othe other factional puryfier that sometimes even can do "something" else than puryfy if needed? No, that is out of balance for sure

NG defender moved to another row + for example letho creating second defender in other row? Auto loose. No mention that kerrack city guard even don't have a zeal so before it will move defender the action behind defender can be taken. No, that is terrible solution, problems with moving defender vs Puryfying defender is out of discussion
It is sounding like your issue is more with Nilfgaard than defenders.

Just a few points. Letho from what I recall doesn't copy deploy abilities.

Secondly, Kerack is a proactive card so is highly likely to be on the field of play early. I guess a defender could be played first card, but then NR has Philippa.

In a game where Draug exists, my defender gives me some hope against NR. Besides it's not like NR doesn't have some of the best removal in game...
(Edit: the two posts above me flesh out this last point more)

Last edited:
While probably not optimal I use Seltkirk or Anseis to deal with defenders with my devotion deck, just make sure you can boost them quickly somehow.

Killing defender with anseis aginst Skellige for example it's a suicide - they will summon him again from graveyard, and than they even can bring him back to life third time with SW ability. No mention that when You use everything You have to get rid of defender, You are defenceless aginst things that will follow him on the battlefield. No -killing defender instead of puryfying him or banishing is very bad advice - I know because I tried it

I guess a defender could be played first card, but then NR has Philippa.

No mention that these advice is flawed because some defenders have 11 strengh (NG, MO) while philippa deal 10 dmg , what if he is not a first play? Or what if Ethereal will follow defender while You already used philippa to deal 10 dmg to defender without even killing him? Or what if there is NR defender from the other side played on the otber side? Or even NR defender simultaniously with drummer with PM ability? No, no and no. Destroying defender is a bad solution , and NR needs a good puryfier. Period.

If you decide to switch to neutral try out Siegfried

I've tried him just after MM expansion. He is too expensive to his strengh, while his ability to puryfy all units it's hard to use in practice and in the end of the day it ends on one puryfy usually - hard to say if he is even more usefull than pellar taking his provinsion under consideration

Last edited:
No mention that these advice is flawed because some defenders have 11 strengh (NG, MO) while philippa deal 10 dmg , what if he is not a first play?
Then move him with Kerack who is probably on the board.
Or what if Ethereal will follow defender while You already used philippa to deal 10 dmg to defender without even killing him?
Well that's probably not the best example.
If ethereal is protected with a defender, purify is probably not going to help you. There will be 2x four body ethereal and a purified defender on the row, not to mention what other cards are in play, so you would be thanking the RNG gods if Phillipa removed both copies of ethereal.

Besides it's strange that you focused so heavily on the MO defender. What about the SY defender, a single purify isn't going to cut it. But Phillipa might...

Or what if there is NR defender from the other side played on the otber side? Or even NR defender simultaniously with drummer with PM ability? No, no and no. Destroying defender is a bad solution , and NR needs a good puryfier. Period.
Well you are creating a lot of unreasonable what ifs here, or are you hoping for a NR purify unit with multiple charges.

Using your method of argumentation:
What if NG yenvo's your defender, plays it, then plays their own, then makes a third with Letho.

It could happen...does NR need specific answers for this too?

What about the SY defender, a single purify isn't going to cut it. But Phillipa might.

It's obvious that You don't play NR at all if you see in philippa answer for SY defender - it's Falibor who is answer for him, not philippa.

What if NG yenvo's your defender, plays it, then plays their own, then makes a third with Letho.

Yen: invo is a sick powercreep and it should be reworked long time ago. Indeed: I don't like to play defenders at all because of these specific card. There is a lot of discussions about NG powercreep including Invo on forum , no need to repeat it here also

It's obvious that You don't play NR at all if you see in philippa answer for SY defender - it's Falibor who is answer for him, not philippa.
I tend to play all the factions. But you are making this Falibor fella sound like a very good card.:think:

SO It's good to know NR have even more consistent answers for defenders than I first thought! Can all the other factions one shot SY double defender?

:confused:
Sorry, why do you need a NR purify again?

Top Bottom