Nekkers: too many abilities/traits?

+
Nekkers: too many abilities/traits?

I noticed that CDPR wants to limit abilities of bronze units, so they only have one + maybe some kind of trait (weather immunity/etc.). But right now nekkers seem to have too much of these:

They are breedable
They buff themselves when devour happens
They play another copy from the deck once removed

When all three are used properly, they can be very good, maybe too much for a bronze card. I think that self-buff+Nekker Warrior interaction is the biggest strength here, since I pleayed a couple of games where 3-4 10+ STR Nekkers were played in the beginning of the third round. Anyone else feels this way?

They are completely fine IMO and early, D-Bomb pretty much kills them all in the last round. You can also use them to your advantage.
If they play sonething like a Giant Toad and pass thinking they'll keep it to the next round, Kill a Nekker and BOOM the Nekker stays and another might not spawn next turn

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
NlelithZ44;n7725620 said:
1) They are breedable
2) They buff themselves when devour happens
3) They play another copy from the deck once removed

If you remove either 1 or 2, they become too weak. Though you might be able to remove 3 and still have a viable unit. But even then they aren't overly strong; they just have a good synergy. 2 is at the core of the devourer deck and 1 is needed to justify Monster's Nest.

Well the Breedeable is a tag so it is as important as Dwarf Mercenary being a dwarf or Fringilla Vigo a sorcrer (but now only Dwarfs , Machines, Breedables, Elves and Wild Hunts have any synergy leaving Sorcerers, Dryads, Shapeshifters and Humans (who dont even has a tag) crying). So theyh ave 2 abilities what considering their low original strength is not that op. Also they along with Harpy Eggs are only targets of devour which grant something more than power transfer.

Yeah, it's not like they are OP or uncounterable, just synergy with devour deck gives them far more potential than most other bronze cards usually have.

For me nekkers are fine, I get owned by dimethirium bomb, weather, manticore venom with my nekker based deck

NlelithZ44;n7725620 said:
I noticed that CDPR wants to limit abilities of bronze units, so they only have one + maybe some kind of trait (weather immunity/etc.). But right now nekkers seem to have too much of these:

They are breedable
They buff themselves when devour happens
They play another copy from the deck once removed

When all three are used properly, they can be very good, maybe too much for a bronze card. I think that self-buff+Nekker Warrior interaction is the biggest strength here, since I pleayed a couple of games where 3-4 10+ STR Nekkers were played in the beginning of the third round. Anyone else feels this way?

Well, they are a solid core unit, but hardly more than that. They have a high celling, but can be countered easily. Id guess since monster consume archtype got a massive buff in last patch, you just see a little too much of them. Its like Turseach axemen. Unit is made really good by a deck that revolves around synergy. But it gainst greeen power, and as so can be shut down hard by dimeritium or weather. Moreover, since keeping more than 1 nekker in your hand is not what monster player wants, a lock or banish on it can be devastating.

Siergain;n7727880 said:
Well the Breedeable is a tag so it is as important as Dwarf Mercenary being a dwarf or Fringilla Vigo a sorcrer (but now only Dwarfs , Machines, Breedables, Elves and Wild Hunts have any synergy leaving Sorcerers, Dryads, Shapeshifters and Humans (who dont even has a tag) crying). So they ave 2 abilities what considering their low original strength is not that op. Also they along with Harpy Eggs are only targets of devour which grant something more than power transfer.

We do indeed need more tag synergy. Or to be precise, we want it. It makes the game that much more interesting.

The more I think of it... Nekkers guarantee deck thinning in a very convenient way: unless banished from the battlefield, they will draw another one from the deck once removed, most likely already buffed as well. Between the rounds, this triggers before you draw additional cards, so it might just happen that instead of another nekker you'll draw something more interesting, because he's already on the battlefield instead of top of the deck. And since they can easily get to ~10 strength, this can give you a substantial advantage in round 2/3, without even making a move. So, let's make a comparison with removing a resilient unit: you won't think twice about doing it. But with nekkers, if you know there's more in opponent's deck, and you want to remove them in current round, so they won't come in the next one, it can be tricky, because they might draw much more buffed ones than you'll remove. It's also hard to keep track of how buffed they'll be.

So, I do like how unique they are, but I think they might need a tweak. Maybe limiting their buff mechanic only to units on the battlefield / in hand would be perfect? This way their strength will creep to high values only during the rounds they are present, not during the whole match.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
NlelithZ44;n7730890 said:
So, I do like how unique they are, but I think they might need a tweak. Maybe limiting their buff mechanic only to units on the battlefield / in hand would be perfect? This way their strength will creep to high values only during the rounds they are present, not during the whole match.

Nope, that would kill the unit. Like I've already pointed out, if you really want to nerf it, you should remove: "play another copy from the deck once removed".

4RM3D;n7732360 said:
Like I've already pointed out, if you really want to nerf it, you should remove: "play another copy from the deck once removed".
See, to me that's the thing that makes this card interesting and what will actually kill the unit if removed. And I don't mind if it's going to be tweaked (weaken some current aspects of it, but buff otherwise), rather than nerfed.

Top Bottom