Jobs Support Register

Netdecking Discussion [Why is everyone doing it?]

+

alexmanelistu

Netdecking Discussion [Why is eveyone doing it?]

I played this game with northern realms because are my fav. Why everyone is net decking? i thought this game is fun to play. i made a deck myself and i barrely can pass frm mosnters with the same decks, i think it becomes boring after few games. You are not bored to play only one deck and no fun? i am rank 3 but is hard to rank up because everyone has the perfect deck, and no fun at all.

Nimraphel

User
alexmanelistu;n8108430 said:
I played this game with northern realms because are my fav. Why everyone is net decking? i thought this game is fun to play. i made a deck myself and i barrely can pass frm mosnters with the same decks, i think it becomes boring after few games. You are not bored to play only one deck and no fun? i am rank 3 but is hard to rank up because everyone has the perfect deck, and no fun at all.
People don't have the perfect deck at rank 3. You're paired against people with similar MMR to you. However, weather monsters remain one of the cheapest efficient decks, therefore a lot of people use it. I highly doubt you're running into a fully competitive rank 15 weather deck when you're rank 3 ;)

That being said, weather can be countered relatively easily, depending on which faction you play. Which leader do you use for Northern Realms? What is your strategy? Do you include Dimetirium Bomb/3x First Light? Promote to protect against weather? All are easily obtained even at low rank.

alexmanelistu

Hey nimraphel i use foltest but i want t craft henselt , i use scorch, 3 clear weather , one dimiterium bomb. i have gold yennefer which deals one damage to the stronghest non gold unit, triss which increase in my hand with 4 strength, regis, odrin, 3x temerian foot soldiers with odrin Works also i use reinforcement for temerian cavalry (8 strength) and with swallow , then i duplicate with foltest. this is in main my strategi, i play for fun but i am angry because everyone plays the same decks.
Also i use trololo to gain an advantage from scoiata el which buffs very much units in one row. Also i have shani to ressurect odrin or trololo in case.

Last edited:

Cagey75

I'm just at rank 7, not playing long, and already finding it's nothing but same ol' Monster net decks with Skellige in between, over and over. It gets boring fast, it's not enticing me to want to play more to rank up. I'm still enjoying the game, but after playing Vs 10 monsters in a row, I exit out for a while and look for something else to amuse me. I haven't looked at one decklist outside my own yet. I have gotten ideas from watching streams and YT vids, but for me part of the fun of a TCG is the creativity, making up your own weird combinations. I don't get why anyone would want to play one for hours on end with someone else's decks. But ... alas, it'll happen in every single TCG ever made.

Rodick

I think this game will be great again when more expansions hit, but first it needs to hit launching. Try to help devs with problems that they should solve, or with some cool ideas what to do, so we exit beta phase fast and get more cards. More cards, more decks, more fun.. wohooo

alexmanelistu

Cagey75;n8108670 said:
I'm just at rank 7, not playing long, and already finding it's nothing but same ol' Monster net decks with Skellige in between, over and over. It gets boring fast, it's not enticing me to want to play more to rank up. I'm still enjoying the game, but after playing Vs 10 monsters in a row, I exit out for a while and look for something else to amuse me. I haven't looked at one decklist outside my own yet. I have gotten ideas from watching streams and YT vids, but for me part of the fun of a TCG is the creativity, making up your own weird combinations. I don't get why anyone would want to play one for hours on end with someone else's decks. But ... alas, it'll happen in every single TCG ever made.
I really feel the same. i played this game for witcher series. and i really wished to be different than hearthstone, if you played hearthstone you know that everyone is net decking.
Also this game is better that hearthstone, were games which made me to think twice and in the end fill with satisfaction, but were few games.

Nimraphel

User
alexmanelistu;n8108660 said:
Hey nimraphel i use foltest but i want t craft henselt , i use scorch, 3 clear weather , one dimiterium bomb. i have gold yennefer which deals one damage to the stronghest non gold unit, triss which increase in my hand with 4 strength, regis, odrin, 3x temerian foot soldiers with odrin Works also i use reinforcement for temerian cavalry (8 strength) and with swallow , then i duplicate with foltest. this is in main my strategi, i play for fun but i am angry because everyone plays the same decks.
Also i use trololo to gain an advantage from scoiata el which buffs very much units in one row. Also i have shani to ressurect odrin or trololo in case.
Alright - you already have quite some cards for level (or rank?) 3. Henselt is definitely better simply because Foltest is... well, useless. Radovid is great as well. Anything but Foltest.

I would ditch Odrin. He is simply too little value for too much effort. For any Northern Realms player, getting Priscilla and Nenneke is essential! Those cards are ridiculously good, and resurrecting Priscilla with Nenneke/Shani can provide immense tempo and value.

You lack deck thinning furthermore. It is more important to thin your deck than making a ginormous 16 point cavalry for duplicating - since more often than not, they will eat a Geralt: Igni, Scorch, or weather. Reaver Hunters/Reaver Scouts can thin your deck. Kaedweni Siege Support is amazing - even in a row under weather, he provides 7 value. Swapping the Cavalry out for Ballista also makes you ignore the melee row - and actually allows you to tech Biting Frost into the deck, if you face a lot of Consume Monsters/Dwarf melee stacking. Obviously it's useless vs. weather monsters, but it can be powerful against a lot of other match-ups. And Ballistas can finish off key targets under weather.

Hope it helped :) NR can be powerful, but I would recommend incorporating ways to establish card advantage. Ciri (+ Roach) and Prince Stennis are widely used - and powerful Card Advantage generators.

Nimraphel

User
And on a general note... I don't feel like a lot of people are netdecking. I see a lot of similar archetypes, true, but at least at high ranks there is quite a bit of diversity in terms of key cards (except for consume monsters, but that is mostly due to Arachas Behemoths requiring too much setup and detracting from the deck's rhythm and control). I would encourage people to draw inspiration from decks found online; it can be both inspiring and teach a lot about the game and people's thought processes - and hopefully inspire to further creativity.

Ugralitan

alexmanelistu;n8108940 said:
I really feel the same. i played this game for witcher series. and i really wished to be different than hearthstone, if you played hearthstone you know that everyone is net decking. Also this game is better that hearthstone, were games which made me to think twice and in the end fill with satisfaction, but were few games.
1. At lack of card variety, your original deck may start to resemble a deck in the internet after you tweak it for effectiveness, that is sometimes unavoidable.

2. When you create a really good homebrew deck which provides a good win ratio...eventually it will become a part of the meta.

3. Most of the time original decks will not provide you the necessary punch to win. For some people the self-enhancement triggered by winning is the pinnacle of fun...and as species we are attracted towards effective methods, let it be card games or survival.

4. Compare netdeckers to gunslingers who can shoot you between two brows from 200 meters with a pistol. Do you need to be a gunmaker in order to enjoy the gun and kill others effectively?

I do not like netdecking as someone who plays dubious decks (such as Nilfgaard Weather or back when it was not very popular, self-mutilation) but it is more satisfying when you defeat those decks with your homemade deck. Like when they think you play a cookie-cutter John Calveit deck you drop on their head a weather effect or Ragh Nar Roog, it feels good.

Codexhel

Why do people net deck? Welcome to the online community.

On a more helpful note though, I think there are two main reasons people net deck.

1. It's easier to copy ideas and indeed whole decks than make your own deck. Not everyone is a competent deck builder, and I learned a lot from my mistakes deck building in HS. Deck building takes experience, experimentation, and most of all time, which not everyone has in abundance.
2. Your progression in this game is related to your winning rounds, so people want to make their decks as good as possible. This means focusing on one or two decks at most when you're starting up, and crafting is a committal process- you lose out on scraps if a card turns out to be worthless. Thus most people will beeline for netdecks or for example ask streamers what cards they should pick from kegs and incorporate into their decks. Finally, it's worth considering that the card pool isn't as big as it will be in the near future, which limits the number of archetypes that will be viable as of now.

These are inherent problems with a CCG: I don't think you'll ever get rid of them. That said, rank 15 play is very different from what you described, so the whole of ranked is not as homogeneous as you feel it is.

alexmanelistu

Nimraphel;n8109040 said:
Alright - you already have quite some cards for level (or rank?) 3. Henselt is definitely better simply because Foltest is... well, useless. Radovid is great as well. Anything but Foltest.

I would ditch Odrin. He is simply too little value for too much effort. For any Northern Realms player, getting Priscilla and Nenneke is essential! Those cards are ridiculously good, and resurrecting Priscilla with Nenneke/Shani can provide immense tempo and value.

You lack deck thinning furthermore. It is more important to thin your deck than making a ginormous 16 point cavalry for duplicating - since more often than not, they will eat a Geralt: Igni, Scorch, or weather. Reaver Hunters/Reaver Scouts can thin your deck. Kaedweni Siege Support is amazing - even in a row under weather, he provides 7 value. Swapping the Cavalry out for Ballista also makes you ignore the melee row - and actually allows you to tech Biting Frost into the deck, if you face a lot of Consume Monsters/Dwarf melee stacking. Obviously it's useless vs. weather monsters, but it can be powerful against a lot of other match-ups. And Ballistas can finish off key targets under weather.

Hope it helped :) NR can be powerful, but I would recommend incorporating ways to establish card advantage. Ciri (+ Roach) and Prince Stennis are widely used - and powerful Card Advantage generators.
Thx man, i already have nenneke, i must craft priscilla. you have a point,because i want to increase strength to an unit and i lose it from scorch or other things. i have 25 cards in deck now, but i try to follow your advise. can you give id from gog to add in friend list? i want to discuss more when game enters in open beta.
And i know that in high ranks net decking is not common, and i know you can inspire from net decking not abuse, but i face players which ussualy don t use their brain.

Last edited:

SkippyHole

I only play casual these days, purely because ranked is just the same decks over and over. Net Decking is the absolute bane of any card game, but there isn't exactly much you can do about it without shutting down any outside source that shows a decklist (the extent of variety is people running 2 or 3 Monsters Nest or something pointless like that). Even casual is mostly the same with people thinking playing Consume Monsters in everything is fun. Have some originality people, it's beta you are supposed to play with everything.

alexmanelistu

And thx everyone for explanation. I am enjoyed that in higher ranks people use their brain, i want to climb there but only with my deck.

Nimraphel

User
alexmanelistu;n8109250 said:
Thx man, i already have nenneke, i must craft priscilla. you have a point,because i want to increase strength to an unit and i lose it from scorch or other things. i have 25 cards in deck now, but i try to follow your advise. can you give id from gog to add in friend list? i want to discuss more when game enters in open beta.
And i know that in high ranks net decking is not common, and i know you can inspire from net decking not abuse, but i face players which ussualy don t use their brain.
NEVER go above 25 cards! :) Not sure if I misunderstood you, but keep it at 25 always. And sure, you can add me. The ID is Nimraphel.

Tamacountry13

Well netdecking for new players should be encouraged as it gets them familiar with the cards and to see what works.

It can also be a guideline on what to craft.
New players REALLY shouldn't be crafting the odd epics like Frightener or Ogdrin when they could be crafting Shani or Caranthir.

There also not a lot of cards that work really well together so the core of most decks are the same.
Bronzes make up 60% of a deck which everyone has easy access to so the main variables are the Silver/Golds.
Most new players are going to craft the best epics as it makes the most sense.

Cagey75

The problem is, if you begin by semi net decking, it becomes habit and you will continue doing so as you get new cards You're automatically going to look up decks that make use of these new cards and it becomes a habitual cycle. Before you even realise, you will be playing and relying on straight up full net decks and you'll have learned nothing but how to play precisely like everyone else.

RickMelethron

Cagey75;n8110380 said:
The problem is, if you begin by semi net decking, it becomes habit and you will continue doing so as you get new cards You're automatically going to look up decks that make use of these new cards and it becomes a habitual cycle. Before you even realise, you will be playing and relying on straight up full net decks and you'll have learned nothing but how to play precisely like everyone else.
any statistics on that...?

Treefur

Oh jeez, this complaint again? Let people play the way they want to play. They aren't not having fun playing great decks they looked up simply because YOU can't have fun that way. Man, every game seems to have people complaining that others aren't playing the RIGHT way and they should change the way they have fun. What a tiring joke.

MrRagdoll

Opinion on netdecking?

Brief explanations to those who don't know word netdeck: Essentialy it's meta-deck. Just like in LoL where there are over 100 champions to choose from you mainly see the same champions every game.

I personally dislike netdecking on Gwent for these reasons:
1. It can get really boring to be forced using same tactic nearly every game as opponent deck will be nearly identical most of the time.
2. Gwent is on beta. Netdecking reduces feedback on cards CDPR could potentialy get that could improve the game alot.
3. There are 300+ cards to use in plenty of games. Right now I know that for example, monsters will spawn frost 24/7, Nilfgaard most likely have those 16 units (there might be 1-3 card difference) and so on.
4. Units in these decks are likely to be banned more than needed to break the netdeck.

These are purely my opinions and feel free to give positive opinions also if something good comes in mind.