Netdecking Discussion [Why is everyone doing it?]

+
As long as people complain about "netdecks" from different factions we are still doing fine i think.

I doubt many of the people who think they don't netdeck have as original decks as they think they do.

When you dont have many cards you tend to use the powerfull cards that come along.

As soon as you do have cards to choose from you pick the ones that have most synergy.

And those will probably look a lot like decks already around.

The problem is not really with netdecking as far as i am concerned.

The problem is with the decks that carry low or no risk no play.

At least for my Henselt deck i have to drop my machine and hope it survives for one turn.

So i have to play a lot of camouflage and hope my opponent wastes his removal on other units.

But i also play around with lots of different decks in casual.

So sometimes you play vs me as a "netdecker" (altough i always played henselt)

And sometimes you get to whoop me with one of my try-out decks.

I still want my 6 wins a day at least though...

The meta is extremely diverse. There are at least 8 viable types of decks right now. And when I mean viable I mean able to take you to rank 20 at least. If you run into 3 monsters in a row, that's just coincidence. Play 100 games and keep track of all your opponents' decks and see then.
Netdecking isn't an issue.
The issues are the create mechanic and the coinflip.
I'm really curious what you would like to play against to be honest. I'm asking because I genuinely want to know. What are your ideal opponents? Just a bunch of random cards thrown together? They put the arena mode in exactly for that purpose. If you don't like standard then arena is right there for you.

The solution to stop netdecking is easy.... if you can spot it, you should know how to beat it... if you beat it consistently they'll stop playing it, beat enough of them and they'll stop bothering. mission accomplished.

although I do think some people confuse basic archetypes with netdecks... every nekker deck is going to have the same core cards, so will every alchemy, reveal, bears, axeman, greatswords, fog, frost, blue stripes, machines, dorfs, spell spam, mulligan, etc ad nauseam... because they'll all be built around a core synergy. and the majority of their cards will work with that too. after a round or two you can probably guess most decks to within 5 cards... not because they took it from some website, but because they are absolutely going to use the cards that work best with that archetype.

Iuliandrei;n10675731 said:
and netdecking is giving players like you the illusion they're better than others.

Excuse me? Yes someone who netdecked and reached GM was definitely better at piloting that deck than others who were only capable of reaching 20 with it or with other netdecked or even their own decks.
There are two separate skillsets in this game (if not more but the ones that matter for this point are those two):
1) Deck piloting
2) Deck building

Sure all netdeckers are basically "rank 0" in 2nd (or maybe a little higher if they can tech) but a netdecker at top 100 is an amazing pilot. End of story really. They can Mulligan really well, they rarely do mistakes, they know what to expect from their opponents and how to play against it or they'd have never reached that rank

No "illusions" here

Mathspy;n10676491 said:
Excuse me? Yes someone who netdecked and reached GM was definitely better at piloting that deck than others who were only capable of reaching 20 with it or with other netdecked or even their own decks.
There are two separate skillsets in this game (if not more but the ones that matter for this point are those two):
1) Deck piloting
2) Deck building

Sure all netdeckers are basically "rank 0" in 2nd (or maybe a little higher if they can tech) but a netdecker at top 100 is an amazing pilot. End of story really. They can Mulligan really well, they rarely do mistakes, they know what to expect from their opponents and how to play against it or they'd have never reached that rank

No "illusions" here

And if you are a great pilot, you should really know enough to make a good enough deck.
These people will always end up high and will always be tough to fight against.

TheEpicWhale;n10676861 said:
And if you are a great pilot, you should really know enough to make a good enough deck.
These people will always end up high and will always be tough to fight against.

Even if this is true, not every pilot is interested enough in becoming a builder
Let's look back pre-industrial revolution where everything became professionalised; often several shipwrights would be present at a ship, for maintenance and to keep it going, and even if they weren't, the sailors themselves would know enough about their ship to make sure it's in good condition specially if storms hit or otherwise
Often archers would carve their own bows and make their own arrow heads and shafts
Some muaicians also carved their own instruments

But not all, and not all musicians HAD to carve their own instruments, not all sailors had to be at some level of mastery of ship making to become sailors, not all archers knew how to make their own bows or arrows. Of course the industrial revolution put a nail on that coffin and now everyone is good at their thing

Point is; even at times when archers made their bows not all of them did. So why do you expect players in a generation of extremely focused professions to care for learning deck building if they only enjoy deck piloting?

I see no problems with netdecking. Netdeckers are the easiest targets. Most of the time they copy a deck without real knowlege of how to play it. They play by the guide. Step right or left - and they drown.

Void_Singer;n10676331 said:
The solution to stop netdecking is easy.... if you can spot it, you should know how to beat it... if you beat it consistently they'll stop playing it, beat enough of them and they'll stop bothering. mission accomplished.

Although the irony in that case would be that the successfull deck would be the new netdeck ;-)

And here my 2 cents to the general discussion:
I am not sure I really understand these complaints about netdecking either. If I compare it to chess, there you cannot advance as a player without studying the different openings and also endgames. Because the good players will play the optimal openings and they are pretty well all known and documented. Therefore the first few moves are usually always the same. But nobody in their right mind would expect to discover the correct moves all by themselves. Instead people read books about it (in the past) and run through simulations with chess engines (nowadays). But you still need to develop your strategic and tactical thinking over time to become a better player. Just memorizing all the different variants will not suffice.

And that is similar to netdecking in Gwent. You study a deck that is commonly used, but it does not make you automatically win a match. You still have to understand all the implications and the synergies of such a deck to play it consistently for a good win rate. And similar to chess, sometimes you just change things around to surprise your opponent. As said before by me and many others, you still need to be a skilled player to actually advance in the ranks. Having a good deck is part of it, but not all of it. Playing competetively in Ranked means you aiming for advancement, you want to compare prove your skills against others. It also means to accept to use the best tools available for that and even your homebrewn deck will start to look similar to others of the same faction (again this was said several times already). It is inevitable. If that is an aspect of the game you do not don't like, if you simply want to have fun, then you need to restrict yourself to casual (and even there the selection of decks faced may be limited when a faction challenge is going on as is right now).

That is not a valid complaint because it isn't true. And like I said before the game changes a lot more when you change your deck than when your opponent changes his. After all what's more different? Driving a car, a bus and a tank on the same road or driving the same car on three different roads?
I assume you play other games as well. Do you complain when people buy the same items on the same heroes in MOBAs? Are you upset when people minmax in MMORPGs? How about people equiping the same gear in Shooters?

Mathspy;n10676491 said:
Sure all netdeckers are basically "rank 0" in 2nd (or maybe a little higher if they can tech) but a netdecker at top 100 is an amazing pilot. End of story really. They can Mulligan really well, they rarely do mistakes, they know what to expect from their opponents and how to play against it or they'd have never reached that rank No "illusions" here

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself, after all this is why you play :)
Like i said in another topic most people who play card games do it to validate themselves somehow, they NEED to think they are better than others and gameplay doesn't matter, only the victory screen. Also the game has tens of thousands of people, most of them mindless netdeckers who think they are great, the top 100 has ...100 players, some of them having more luck than others.
I feel bad for CDPR wasting so much effort improving the game with theme, flavor and faction identity.

VladAtheris;n10677991 said:
I assume you play other games as well. Do you complain when people buy the same items on the same heroes in MOBAs? Are you upset when people minmax in MMORPGs? How about people equiping the same gear in Shooters?

Just drop it man, firstly you don't understand what the word "meta" means and secondly you refuse to understand how this practice can ruin the fun for something people. I don't mind that but if it doesn't bother you, it doesn't mean it's stupid or invalid or whatever.

Mathspy;n10676901 said:
Point is; even at times when archers made their bows not all of them did. So why do you expect players in a generation of extremely focused professions to care for learning deck building if they only enjoy deck piloting?

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just adding to your point ;)

Mystikast;n10677891 said:
The complaint is: playing against the same exact decks over and over is boring.

Do you play a different deck every two games?

Do you keep playing a deck if it clearly doesn't work?

I get the frustration, there are decks that i certainly don't like playing against.

But it is a thing about this game that you will never ever be able to change.

I'm trying to show people that going up against a netdeck doesn't remove any of the flavor of the game and they get all defensive about it.
Saying you encounter the same deck over and over again just isn't true. Sure decks look the same because there aren't that many cards in the game and even less card which work well together.
I asked what their ideal game would be and nobody has provided any kind of feedback but they are convinced netdecking is bad because that one time they played X faction Y times in a row.
I think I'm giving up on this conversation because it is pointless. I'll just say one more time that there is no netdeck issue and I'll leave it at that.
Have a nice day, fellas.

Mystikast;n10677891 said:
The complaint is: playing against the same exact decks over and over is boring.

That is not a complaint about net decking. That is a complaint about variety and balance. Complaining about net decking just doesn't make sense. For one it's not the players fault if they want to win games and there aren't a lot of great decks to do that with. Then there is the fact that complaining about it accomplishes nothing. You can't tell players how to play a game. Learning what the most powerful decks are and using them is kind of the goal for a lot of players. If you play ranked then you have to do that to get anywhere.

Iuliandrei;n10678111 said:
Whatever makes you feel better about yourself, after all this is why you play :)
Like i said in another topic most people who play card games do it to validate themselves somehow, they NEED to think they are better than others and gameplay doesn't matter, only the victory screen. Also the game has tens of thousands of people, most of them mindless netdeckers who think they are great, the top 100 has ...100 players, some of them having more luck than others.
I feel bad for CDPR wasting so much effort improving the game with theme, flavor and faction identity.

I'm not really seeing what your point is here. You think people have to create their own decks or else they are "mindless"? Don't you think that's kind of insulting? Why should people only play this game the way you want them to?

Iuliandrei;n10678111 said:
Just drop it man, firstly you don't understand what the word "meta" means and secondly you refuse to understand how this practice can ruin the fun for something people. I don't mind that but if it doesn't bother you, it doesn't mean it's stupid or invalid or whatever.

People don't generally play any video game worrying about the experience of other players. People will always have something to complain about. I don't think I should have to change how I play a game just because some other player somewhere might be annoyed by it. (This is mostly hypothetical. I play the game a variety of ways. Sometimes I make my own decks and sometimes I take ideas off other players or from streamers)

Boiboiboi;n9461181 said:
Netdecking really ruined the game for me. If someone doesnt have the time or creativity to create their own deck then they probably shouldnt be playing a TCG. No one wants to play a game where everyone cheeses. I still think they should try to develop some kind of faction commital perk. I see a lot of players who stick with their favorite factions anyways. It wouldnt eliminate netdecking all together, but ppl wouldnt be able to jump to the most favored to win faction each patch.

I can't disagree with this post any more. If Netdecking ruined the game for you then have you considered that this type of video game might not be for you?

Dear Community

warning : this post contain curiosity and a little of salt.

During this late month, i just realize that most of my opponent which are 100% netdecker eg. great sword, shupe, deathwish dagon etc. (4000 mmr +, -)

These type of people mostly keep mocking me that was experimenting fun deck and losing to their perfect netdeck. they look highly proud of themselves. and without gg aftermatch

(now i try to experiment deck that look like mill but not a mill to trick people that think i am a mill but actually not a mill lolol)

how can these people be so proud of winning condition based on 100% copy other player deck ?

these day i rarely find original deck player with a sense of humor and fun to play with.

Thanks.

Top Bottom