Netdecking Discussion [Why is everyone doing it?]

+
Well, once homecoming is out there, you should be able to experiment a bit more in casual, since the meta is not established yet.

Moved you to a thread where you can find more insights on this topic.

yeah thx for using your power to show me that i should avoid gwent forum thx 4 that and deleting thet critic

Last edited:
Yeah great but this thread has nothing to do with my because i dont have a problem with netdecking, i dont like it but i know it will be in every card game.

I have a problem with people who use decks that work good or too good in ranked in casual mode thats a different topic ..
Also Homecomming will make this problem not smaller because nmow people will more into testing this decks in casual before risking their low lvl rank

The thread doesn‘t just deal with netdecking in ranked. And there‘s no need to start a new discussion for this topic, especially not with Homecoming happening so soon.

Netdecking? Just looked it up. It means to copy good decks?

Wouldn't that spoil the fun? It's not about winning, it's about having fun! Sure, winning makes it more fun. But not at the cost of "netdecking", that doesn't seem very fun.

I started reading this thinking it was something new and at one point someone wrote "I use Trololo".

Trololo, Trololo, Trololo. Where have you gone my friend?

Netdecks is like everything, there are people who can do things, another that only imitates. We are still monkeys at the end.

I mean you can barely net deck anymore now Gwent DB is closing down. Probably because the game is a every-deck-the-same boring mess.

Youtube will still show the netdecks so gwentdb isn't needed. Expect more of the same after a week or so of the new cards coming out.

That's the problem with card games in general, they get ruined by people. By now the game is in a sorry state and a lot of people either quit or probably playing arena, the ones left are the ones who don't care about gameplay, they just want to watch a number get higher so they can feel better about themselves.

I'm done. I have said it before, but I took Gwent off my iPhone about a week ago and haven't reinstalled it. Tonight, after another sickeningly poor bunch of match-ups, crap deals and repeatedly playing against the same tiresome crap I've decided to call it a day. I've uninstalled before out of rage, but now I'm just utterly, utterly bored by this game. It's turgid rubbish. I've uninstalled out of complete apathy.

Very much a fan of CDPR and hope Cyberpunk lives up to expectation. But this? It's tired, unejoyable trash. The matchup algorithm is an utter disaster, the netdecks-on-repeat have killed any enjoyment. You can't "mess around" with decks, you just get beat, repeatedly, by the same cards, the same matchups, the same combo's.

It really is an absolute shambles. One year on and it's still considerably worse than Gwent Beta, and it's absolutely never going to get better. Dreadful borefest.

I'm done. I have said it before, but I took Gwent off my iPhone about a week ago and haven't reinstalled it. Tonight, after another sickeningly poor bunch of match-ups, crap deals and repeatedly playing against the same tiresome crap I've decided to call it a day. I've uninstalled before out of rage, but now I'm just utterly, utterly bored by this game. It's turgid rubbish. I've uninstalled out of complete apathy.

Very much a fan of CDPR and hope Cyberpunk lives up to expectation. But this? It's tired, unejoyable trash. The matchup algorithm is an utter disaster, the netdecks-on-repeat have killed any enjoyment. You can't "mess around" with decks, you just get beat, repeatedly, by the same cards, the same matchups, the same combo's.

It really is an absolute shambles. One year on and it's still considerably worse than Gwent Beta, and it's absolutely never going to get better. Dreadful borefest.

Looking forward to your next rage quit post.
Post automatically merged:

That's the problem with card games in general, they get ruined by people. By now the game is in a sorry state and a lot of people either quit or probably playing arena, the ones left are the ones who don't care about gameplay, they just want to watch a number get higher so they can feel better about themselves.

Whatever problems the game has isn't caused by people. People do essentially the same things in every video game.

Raise the provision and minimum card limits to make it harder to play specific card combos all the time and be able to have more of your gold cards in your deck.

I remember when Homecoming launched, you were constantly complaining on the forums.

I personally took a break (not from complaints, but from HC experience) for almost a year and returned to the game a few weeks ago, but what do I see? The same nedders saying the millionth time he's done with the game. Mate, you really should take a break!

But I have to agree with you: even after the past year Gwent is far from being at least half as good as the beta was.

While they are adding cards (a major part of those are old cards from beta, as you know), but still fail to solve this immensely huge problem that Gwent always had: you simply cannot win with meme decks / fun cards / experimenting with various mechanics, because Gwent is all about points.

Heck, even with all the new mechanics introduced into the game, good old point slam monsters thrive deck is still very strong, although it got only 3 cards in the expansions (Yghern, Endrega Larva and that 10 points troll).

And on top of that, the game practically forces you to win! Half the dailies and all daily crown progress demand only one thing: win as much as possible, because it maximizes the rewards.

Of course people will play the strongest decks to progress.

This can be partially fixed by introducing new game modes (more limited formats with various restrictions or draft). Partially by rotating cards in ranked (something that MtG invented ages ago when they understood the game power creeps with each new expansion, and something that Hearthstone uses for both balancing and monetization). Partially by reworking the way you receive rewards (mostly daily crowns) in the game: again, something other CCG do really well.

Even the most simple things like limiting deck provision cost would refresh the game.

Bottom line, and I hope to be wrong, but I think Gwent is never going to be popular, because the developers decided to add more content instead of fixing core game's problems.

And on top of that, the game practically forces you to win! Half the dailies and all daily crown progress demand only one thing: win as much as possible, because it maximizes the rewards.

Of course people will play the strongest decks to progress.
Maybe I've just got a case of rosey-glasses for open beta, but it did seem that when Gwent had seperate rewards for casual and ranked (daily, levelling up and seasonal), meta decks weren't so preveant in casual/unranked. It seemed to dictate the optimal strategy for efficient grinding was to complete all rewards in ranked if you wanted to play competitively. Given that only progress toward ranked can be lost, not actual rank, making better rewards available on the ranked ladder might actually allow casual/unranked to be a place where jank and experimental decks mainly get played.

This can be partially fixed by introducing new game modes (more limited formats with various restrictions or draft). Partially by rotating cards in ranked (something that MtG invented ages ago when they understood the game power creeps with each new expansion, and something that Hearthstone uses for both balancing and monetization). Partially by reworking the way you receive rewards (mostly daily crowns) in the game: again, something other CCG do really well.
Allowing all quest conditions to be met in Arena play would be a small step toward encouraging players to step outside Seasonal and Classic modes. I don't get why it is that a lot of daily quests just don't count in Arena. In MTGA, every condition that gets met for a quest counts, regardless of the game mode. We have a good range to choose from too - Standard/B01, Traditional/Bo3, 2 ranked drafts based around current sets, Brawl (1 day a week) and at least one event a month on average. Considering that MTGA is Wizards of the Coasts first in-house digital game (MTGO was developed externally), I don't see what CDPR's excuse is for having 4 modes, and of that, the only one that gets a regular shake up int the course of a season is the one that doesn't count for many daily or contract quests.

As for rotation, I think Gwent still has the problem of card pool being too small. 30 cards an expansion is huge in Gwent, with no timetable for expansions, yet MTG gets ~230 per set/quarterly. Additionally, MTG also has other modes that allow out of rotation cards to be played. So it's obviously much easier for MTG to standard rotation than Gwent. For Gwent to commit to something like this requires a much longer term roadmap than the one I have a feeling we'll be getting.

Even the most simple things like limiting deck provision cost would refresh the game.
Provisions is still fairly limited in what it can achieve. A lot of this really comes down to adjustment by a point or two is the most that can be done before a card gets too expensive to be viable. As we've seen, if a card is good enough that the majority of faction decks run it, even two points isn't enough to drop it over another card. CDPR needs to focus on a few areas. First is provision cost of combos as a whole. This, in combination with adjust problematic single cards

Second is adjusting abilities. Admittedly this is not a good thing to have to do, since constant nerfing and buffing erodes player confidence in the game. However, had CDPR been a little more careful with card abilities, particularly ones that are known to skew the metagame to binary matchups (e.g. NG replaying leader abilities, ST dwarf synergy), then this could have been avoided. Thirdly, new card design should focus on incorporating specific tech into bodied cards. Along with this, cards should support archetypes without merely being cookie cutter clones of exisitng archetype cards with an extra abilty, like purify, bolted on. The cookie cutter approach we've seen in the last 2 expansions has led the game down the path where faction archetypes have become somewhat homogenised, resulting in one or two leader abilities actually being good for use in faction decks and the rest being consigned to meme/experimental jank status.

Letting arena qualify for daily crowns would be a simple place to start. Much more fun for me to play, because there's much more variety, it's not about who has the best copy of the best overpowered deck of the month, and it tests ability to build a deck yourself rather than just play it. Variations like the seasonal arenas also keep it more interesting. But if I play only arena, I get no RP, I unlock no cosmetic stuff like the various leaders, I get less scraps & powder overall due to no RP too. So I feel pushed to play a few games of classic every day I play, and even though I'm only up to level 8-10, since about level 16 I've seen the same handful of decks 80% of the time, and if I want to be competitive, I need to build my own decks out of the similar group of rare cards that are simply more powerful than others. Trying to build a more interesting deck, a more experimental deck, likely means a whole bunch of losses and feeling uncompetitive.

Draft, being given say 10 x faction kegs and 2 x neutral kegs, build a deck from those, play until 3 losses just like arena, and maybe get to keep 1-3 cards out of the 60 to add to your own collection for classic, would also be very appealing to me. Again, provided it qualified for daily crowns & thus RP.

I don't get why it is that a lot of daily quests just don't count in Arena.

I've had no issue completing daily quests in Arena. I'm yet to notice a time where I didn't get credit for games played, wins as a faction, neutral/special/artifact cards played, whatever. It's just progress towards daily crowns that doesn't happen.

A pity you go Nedders, damn! Have you tried NG controll vs all these so called tier-1 meta nonsens? It progressed me to rank 9 this season wich is a personal record in HC. A balanced mix of locks, direct damage and Geralts can do the trick.

Allowing all quest conditions to be met in Arena play would be a small step toward encouraging players to step outside Seasonal and Classic modes

Letting arena qualify for daily crowns would be a simple place to start.

Yes, this was my first question when they first launched the arena back in the beta days. Why wins in the arena are not counted towards daily round wins? Perhaps CDPR thought this way the rewards would be too high for veteran players (I reached 9 wins in my very first Arena run despite having only 6 golds, if I remember correctly). But since they changed the rewards system in HC, it completely eludes me why. Especially since wins in seasonal modes count.

Maybe I've just got a case of rosey-glasses for open beta, but it did seem that when Gwent had seperate rewards for casual and ranked (daily, levelling up and seasonal), meta decks weren't so preveant in casual/unranked.

I have to disagree. Remember that during the beta you could lose ranks. And because of that as soon as people reached their highest possible rank (or at least they thought they wouldn't be able to go higher), they switched to casual just to farm daily wins as fast as possible with the same top tier decks.

making better rewards available on the ranked ladder might actually allow casual/unranked to be a place where jank and experimental decks mainly get played.

Rewards for ranked were great in beta, this is why I made it into top 1000 (half a year in a row at least). Now ranked rewards are total crap. I have borders from beta that were rewards for top 500 players, and that was a huge incentive to compete.

Now you get the same borders via seasonal trees, and reaching high ranks gives you nothing except a feeling of achievement. But since it now takes significantly more games (compared to the beta) to reach the highest rank, and rewards for ranks 7 to 1 are the same, I just couldn't care less. I mean, I reached rank 7 in this season, why should I stress myself by playing ranked further if all I get is... nothing else extra? Sure, there are pro ladder rewards, but getting to them takes even more grind.

Much more fun for me to play, because there's much more variety, it's not about who has the best copy of the best overpowered deck of the month, and it tests ability to build a deck yourself rather than just play it.
So I feel pushed to play a few games of classic every day I play, and even though I'm only up to level 8-10, since about level 16 I've seen the same handful of decks 80% of the time

I just played classic to get my 6 round wins for the first daily crown. I'm at level 8, and can't go backwards, so I'm only being matched against others in single digit levels. Made a new deck, and it took me 7 games to get 7 round wins. My opponents were 4 x enslave 5/6, 2 x syndicate with scarab defenders & free savolla tributes, and a monster insectoid deck at the end where I got my first win.

One typical game was start by playing defender, have it immediately stolen by Triss for opponent to use in rd 2. Play a 3 power unit with damage charges, have it immediately seized by Sweers. Play a 3rd unit, have my former unit disappear behind a defender. Can't overcome that, pass and move on to round 2. My defender comes out, Helga comes out behind my defender, I get 2 bigger units seized by opponent's leader ability, game over, 2-0 loss.

That is not fun, at all. I've only been playing a couple of months, the initial excitement has worn off, and if that's what I can expect when trying to play classic, and playing arena won't give me any RP and won't allow me to use any of my cosmetic items like leader skins, it might only be another couple of weeks before I'm basically lost to the game.

If, after building my arena (or draft) deck, I can choose my leader skin, card back, gameboard, and earn progress towards crowns as I play, then I'll give up on classic as not worth the effort beyond the odd game, but I'll be a long-term player. Doesn't seem like a big change to make, I don't see any negatives from making it, seems like it'll increase player retention. And then, long-term, if the balance/cheese/leader/defender issues with classic get addressed, I'll still be here to participate in that.

I mean you can barely net deck anymore now Gwent DB is closing down. Probably because the game is a every-deck-the-same boring mess.
only people who netdeck all day can say that kind of bullshit..
I'm playing tempo Adda at rank 7 atm with a 66% winratio, I use Falibor and Philippa, and thats about all the cards that are usually used in NR.
I play miracle SK with witchers, elf and onion soup and trial of grasses and I am winning matches.
I AM PLAYING A DOOMED SHUPE CIRI:NOVA SK DECK AND IM WINNING GAMES.. please stop complaining about every deck is the "same" and just create your own decks ffs..

only people who netdeck all day can say that kind of bullshit..
I'm playing tempo Adda at rank 7 atm with a 66% winratio, I use Falibor and Philippa, and thats about all the cards that are usually used in NR.
I play miracle SK with witchers, elf and onion soup and trial of grasses and I am winning matches.
I AM PLAYING A DOOMED SHUPE CIRI:NOVA SK DECK AND IM WINNING GAMES.. please stop complaining about every deck is the "same" and just create your own decks ffs..
You're replying to a comment that's 8-9 months old fyi. But yeah rank 7 is about the limit for decks like the ones you're talking about, because you can get fo 7 with a negative win rate. Above that, Rank 1-5 is actually all the same netdecks.

Top Bottom