Netdecking Discussion [Why is everyone doing it?]

+
Cantina12;n8742870 said:
I am a bit behind on these terms...

Anyone care to explain what exactly is netdecking?

Some popular player posts an efficient deck somewhere, and people just copy it because it is supposed to get you a good win ratio.

Cantina12;n8742870 said:

tortugueta;n8742930 said:
Some popular player posts an efficient deck somewhere, and people just copy it because it is supposed to get you a good win ratio.

Ahh. I see. Thank you.

Cantina12;n8742870 said:

Basically creating a deck based on a recipy found on the internet.

f.ex from: http://www.gwentdb.com/

You look up a popular deck that someone is doing very well with, gather cards for it and then use it without having to come up with a deck yourself. Thats Netdecking.

It's frowned upon by some because it removes one of the more important aspects of the game (creating a deck yourself and see if it works) and to a certain extent it limits variety of decks found in ranked. And also pushes top tier decks down the ranks by distributing the recipy to people who are not great at deck building.

How to put it..... It's like someone else did half the work for you, all you do is "pilot" the deck to the best of your abilities.

But it's not all negative, netdecking is a nice tool for beginners and for those who loath deck building.

Basically, as with most things in the world. There's pro's and con's with it :)

Last edited:
As I am a fairly competitive player, my strategy is typically to soak up a lot of high level decks/archetypes through streams/articles/tournaments and then craft my own variation that I like through testing.

This is something you will find at the highest level, that players seldom completely netdeck, but instead take a netdeck as a base and alter it accordingly to fit you as a player. If a deck remains the same so be it, but typically I find ways to personalize it to my liking.

I dont hate net decking. I love it. I dont do it at all but knowing the meta helps me counter very easily. if you're running into the same decks craft a few cards to counter if needed. but dont waste scrap on legendaries to begin. for 1 legendary you can get 24+commons, 10 rares or 4 epic. the odds are better the more cards you have when you start out. Later on craft the L,s & E,s but for now stick to kegs and commons and pay attention to the meta so you can counter easily.

Last edited:
The issue is that variety seems stifled in Gwent. If people want to win, they use the tried and tested decks. The problem is that homebrew decks, while decent, most of the time can't go against the best decks available.

The issue is that Gwent (or any card game, I assume, as I haven't played any others) isn't balanced enough to allow players to dominate with whatever deck they can come up with. There are clearly cards that perform better than most, so people go for those.

Another thing to note is that people have limited resources and can't just craft random cards to experiment with. So they either go for what's known to work well or grind for weeks.

It would have been great if any decent homebrew deck could be highly competitive but that's just not the case.

Last edited:
Netdecking will always be a thing due to the meta. Meta stands for; Most effective tactics available. You see everyone starts out by experimenting with ideas and theory crafting, eventually players will begin to realise what works and what doesn't, what's most effective and then revise their lists with tech choices, closed beta being a perfect example of this. Players will then try to either break the meta by creating an anti-meta deck or just tech against it.

At lower ranks/casual play you will find alot of rogue decks, which are still in the experimentation phase. This isn't to say you can't build your own deck and be successful with it at the higher levels. The thing is once you do that deck will then also be part of the meta and the cycle continues. A healthy meta is where there are ideally more than just 2-3 decks at the top level (let's put them at tier 1 being the best) and where the tier 2 decks can still have a rock paper scissors match with the tier 1 decks. A unhealthy meta is where there is a clear tier 0 deck and you must play these 1-2 decks to even compete at ranked/high level play. Most of the complaints we see on these forums are often from the inexperienced players or those who have no background in TCGs/CCGs. The only complaint right now which holds any merit is that of Ragh Nar Roogh/Drought being poorly designed because of the huge tempo swing despite playing First Ligh-Clear Skies as a counter.

There will always be a meta in every card game it's just the reality of CCGs/TCGs.

Last edited:
People netdeck because they don't wanna play, they wanna win. Earning victory has given way to "win at any cost" Sorta pathetic

-Arkane;n8745240 said:
Netdecking will always be a thing due to the meta. Meta stands for; Most effective tactics available.

lol, nice backronym. How long did it take you to come up with that ? =)

idomyownstunts;n8746090 said:
Mum caught me net decking once.

I'm amazed that I see you on nearly every post and so far I haven't seen you write anything that makes sense

Last edited:
alexmanelistu;n8108660 said:
... i use foltest but i want t craft henselt...

You don't have to craft Henselt. Just finish the NR Challenge and all NR leaders are given to you.

PinkFloyd76;n8741690 said:
I didn't read the article but you have to consider something. Netdecking is overwhelming for F2P accounts. If someone is complaining about it perhaps he/she is not a scrub but someone feeling overwhelmed. Here you can argue, "well, that's the nature of CCG's", which is true ofc. Just saying though, consider all angles.

Well, you better should. Netdecking is most likely not overwhelming for new players as they barely know what it means. On the contrary, it can at least give you an overview about the currently viable archetypes for each faction. The very popular claim that netdecking would destroy versatility is simply not true as with a so limited and not 100% balanced card pool (there will always be better and worse cards) most competitive players will probably end up with similar decks after extensive deck-testing.

Imagine you start with skellige for example. It will most likely not take you long (as a competitive and dedicated player) to realize that Crach an Craite combos well with Morkvarg. You will most likely see opponents do so within your first 20 games, so you add Morkvarg. Doesn't take you long to also include Olgierd as he serves a similar purpose and ADC to guarantee both each game. The worth of Priestess of Freya is also pretty obvious so you add all 3 of them and Sigrdrifa as she is very similar. You add Wild Boar of the Sea and maybe the 1-3 Shieldsmith as they help you grow Morkvarg / Olgierd even further, but you realize after some testing that Weather is troublesome to you. You start your experiment by adding a little weather yourself (and 1-3 First Light) and see it heavily countered by opponents Clan Brokvhar Hunter (so you add them). Within a few more iterations you add Bears to counter Vicovaro Medic and other Priestesses and a way to lock/unlock Morkvarg/Olgierd. You also add RNR as is seems very very strong. You end up with something that is very close to one of the leading meta decks currently around. This is not a consequence of netdecking, but simply efficency.

Competitive players copy and adapt to the strategies they face and lose to. Thats just the way competitive gaming works. The scrub on the other hand will complain, because his home-brew-good-for-nothing deck is constantly loosing as he is not willing to adapt or improve his deck. He is sure that his inability of beating the meta is caused by netdecking, unbalancing or bugs, because he can't accept the fact that his 'brilliant' home-brew is simply no good.

Last edited:
Netdecking isn't too different from seeing what your opponent plays in the game and doing it yourself. The thing is, you can copy someone's deck but you might not know how to use it or even like it much.

I recently got to level 10 on PS4 and as with the CB, the games became riddled with high level players with incredible decks. Up until then my games were decent-ish. Probably about a 70% win rate. You lose some, you win some but the games were fairly balanced. You occasionally run into some high end cards but nothing major.

Then comes level 10 and it all goes to crap. The same thing happened in the CB. You get paired up with high level players with incredible cards. No matter what you do, how smart you play, if they have better cards, you'll lose. I actually lost interest in the game because I could neither play competitively nor could I experiment with different decks due to opponents steamrolling me.

So I milled all factions but 2 (I know I might regret it later but it was either this or stop playing) and made a competitive deck I saw someone play. Thing is, I want to tweak it a little too.

This actually reignited my interest in the game. Instead of playing games where 3 cards in I know the opponent will kick my butt, I actually started enjoying myself. It was no longer about hoping your opponent doesn't have strong cards you can't counter. It was about timing your plays, choosing the correct row to play your units on and even bluffing. It was more tactical. I played a game against a guy with a similar deck (not the same) and it was one of the best matches I played. Loosing is actually fun now because the games are more closer than ever.

Not only that, now that I have a decent deck I can actually enjoy myself with, I'm even more interested in creating random stuff to mess about with.

I understand how people might see netdecking but you have to look at it from another angle. Being a F2P player, my progress was extremely slow. Wouldn't mind it had matchmaking been a bit better to where I wasn't paired against people with incredible decks. I couldn't afford to experiment with crafting stuff I thought would work. I made a deck that's known to be good but with hopes of tweaking a few cards to my liking. So it's not about people being lazy or dumb to come up with their own decks, it's about the resources they have.

At the end of the day, play long enough and you'll come to the same conclusions as other players. While decks might slightly vary, most players use the same cards because they work best. So try not to judge people on that. It's not all black and white.

I'd be the happiest if I didn't have to worry about crafting the best cards of a faction and just having a decent chance of wining at higher levels with a homebrew deck but it just doesn't work that way. At some point you either go for the best cards or are left behind.

Top Bottom