Netflix's The Witcher - Season 2

+
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't book Emhyr interested in Ciri to perpetuate the Elder Blood with her himself?
That makes him the single worst guy in the whole story. He and Ciri definetly got portrayed less negatively in the game
That was the plan concocted by the Sorceresses, but he changed his mind very early on. Don't wanna spoil it tho.

Hmm, I wonder if Shakespeare got hate when he did Romeo and Juliet...
If the illustrious Julian Alfred Pankratz got some critics, that guy Shakespeare can get his share of "Boo!" and tomatoes.
:smart:

Regarding the Witcher Season 2 I doubt the show will be praised in 400 years for the writing. I liked the episode with Nivellen, but other than that I don't have many positive things to say.

I suspect I'm too old to be the target audience of modern fantasy and scifi...

In any case, I don't really understand people who are salty about the show not being a carbon copy of the books. Although in some cases it feels like some people are salty about it not being a carbon copy of the games, which aren't even the same as the books anyway.

Want book version Witcher, read the books. Want the game version, play the videogames. Want TV show witcher, watch the TV show. Each are their own animals :shrug:

My thoughts exactly. I read the books. The games were different in significant ways. I didn't care. I enjoyed the end result for what it is. I'm doing the same with the show and it's enjoyable for what it is. Is it perfect? Nope, yet it doesn't have to be for me to enjoy it.

I also don't understand this weird masochistic urge to sit through hours of a show you don't like only to complain about it later. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Ultimately, whether it adheres exactly to the games or books doesn't diminish the books or the games' worth. Those product are completely unaffected by the show.

My thoughts exactly. I read the books. The games were different in significant ways. I didn't care. I enjoyed the end result for what it is. I'm doing the same with the show and it's enjoyable for what it is. Is it perfect? Nope, yet it doesn't have to be for me to enjoy it.

I also don't understand this weird masochistic urge to sit through hours of a show you don't like only to complain about it later. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Ultimately, whether it adheres exactly to the games or books doesn't diminish the books or the games' worth. Those product are completely unaffected by the show.

How would I know what I'm talking about if I didn't watch it? This thread is about what people think of the show, so why are you attacking people for not liking the show?

You can consider it bad and yet enjoy watching it. I know I did. IMHO it could give Tommy Wiseau a run for his money, but I still had great fun with it (I consider it at this point (always did, really) a hilariously campy parody of The Witcher) and don't consider it time wasted :)

Last edited:
In any case, I don't really understand people who are salty about the show not being a carbon copy of the books.
Well, adaptation doesn't mean carbon copy in the first place. It's probably why most (all?) book -> film adaptations don't end up as carbon copies. They change stuff. The shift events around. They may even add stuff. They "adapt" a story from one medium to another.

Where the criticism is valid is whether those changes, shifting around and additions worked. Did decisions there preserve the idea of the source material? Did any additions improve the story as it was translated to another medium? What got cut? Should it have been cut?

I was apprehensive there myself. The way certain characters were handled. Events changed to alter how they fit into the mix. It's probably clear which ones I'm talking about for anyone who watched it. I didn't see any advantage in many of those adjustments. Again, I have a good idea what they were trying to accomplish with them. The confusion is those goals didn't require those adjustments. The source material already satisfied them. In a less forced manner.

At various points it seemed as if the writers for the show either wanted to change things up to put their stamp on it or weren't as knowledgeable of the source material as they probably should have been. That doesn't make it inherently bad to me. "It's trash" and "it's not completely in-line with the source material" are two different areas. Clearly for some if the second applies then the first is true by default. It goes with the territory of being a fan, I suppose.
That was the plan concocted by the Sorceresses, but he changed his mind very early on. Don't wanna spoil it tho.
He changed his mind. Must be a good dude.
Don't think about it.

That's the motto of the show.
I'm not sure that's entirely fair. Many of the core ideas are arguably present in the show. The problem is more in the execution of it. I'm not sure the people in leadership positions for the show have the chops to handle the content. That's one of those where you can't really fire the coach until you have another one though. And there is no reason to do so if the other one isn't an improvement.

Well, adaptation doesn't mean carbon copy in the first place. It's probably why most (all?) book -> film adaptations don't end up as carbon copies. They change stuff. The shift events around. They may even add stuff. They "adapt" a story from one medium to another.
True, but what if I told you that Ge'els himself is in charge of adapting the source material?

witcher-adaptation.PNG

Gwent-jokes aside, I think that adapting the books by Sapkowski should have been easier compared to adapting the Asimov's trilogy.

Worst monster on the entire Continent for even considering that. The least that guy deserves is to be stabbed by his own advisors in TW3, but ideally he should get the Dethmold treatment
Ciri is the result of an actual breeding program that has been going on for a long time, all the mages, including Yen, were in on it.

Guess what, the Titanic sank in the movie too.
In my opinion, which only engages me indeed, there is a slight difference between a serie inspired by an imaginary wolrd/lore (which apparently does not claim to remain faithful in all points to the basic material) and a film based on a book which is itself based on real events.
So make a movie named "Titanic" and not flow the Titanic would seem pretty weird. A bit like a series named The Witcher where Geralt (or whatever the main character) would be a wizard instead of a witcher...

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. Many of the core ideas are arguably present in the show. The problem is more in the execution of it. I'm not sure the people in leadership positions for the show have the chops to handle the content. That's one of those where you can't really fire the coach until you have another one though. And there is no reason to do so if the other one isn't an improvement.
You can already see exactly where they are going with the story, and it's gonna be facepalm inducing.
Post automatically merged:

In my opinion, which only engages me indeed, there is a slight difference between a serie inspired by an imaginary wolrd/lore (which apparently does not claim to remain faithful in all points to the basic material) and a film based on a book which is itself based on real events.
So make a movie named "Titanic" and not flow the Titanic would seem pretty weird. A bit like a series named The Witcher where Geralt (or whatever the main character) would be a wizard instead of a witcher...

Dude, the show isn't following the books AT ALL. Ciri's powers are completely different which means the story will have nothing to do with the books once it gets going, it can't anymore. Oh, and btw, Geralt's mom WAS a Sorceress so he probably WAS a wizard before the Witcher mutations stunted his abilities, but also made him a bit different from other Witchers.

Last edited:
She's the Kwisatz Haderach, if she had the Baron for a father...
It's complicated. He was against it from the start, reluctantly agreed and then changed his mind. We are talking about saving the world, not whim or because he wanted to. Or rather, he was misled into believing it would save the world. No one except the mgaes knew he was her father until VERY late in the story, that was the plan.

It's complicated. He was against it from the start, reluctantly agreed and then changed his mind. We are talking about saving the world, not whim or because he wanted to. Or rather, he was misled into believing it would save the world. No one except the mgaes knew he was her father until VERY late in the story, that was the plan.
Speaking of which, isn't the show sort of portraying Nilfgaardians as good guys?

:giveup:

Speaking of which, isn't the show sort of portraying Nilfgaardians as good guys?

:giveup:

I'm not saying he is some hero, but he's no Bonhart either. The guy tied a 14 yearold girl (Ciri) to a post in the center of town, naked and made her watch as he slowly murdered all her friends and her sexually abusive girlfriend. Then abused her till she was obedient and made her fight in an arena for money.

I'm not saying he is some hero, but he's no Bonhart either. The guy tied a 14 yearold girl to a post in the center of town, naked and made her watch as he slowly murdered all her friends and her sexually abusive girlfriend.
Like I said before, they'll NEVER do justice to that part of the story. As they haven't to everything else. If Mistle appears at all, I bet she'll get whitewashed AF :facepalm:

Like I said before, they'll NEVER do justice to that part of the story. As they haven't to everything else. If Mistle appears at all, I bet she'll get whitewashed AF :facepalm:
The Rats will probably get completely cut from the show. Or turned into some Robin Hood type characters instead of murderous drug addicts. It's always funny when you see people say the games are "too dark", people have no idea :D

Top Bottom