Netflix's The Witcher - Season 2

+
The Rats will probably get completely cut from the show. Or turned into some Robin Hood type characters instead of murderous drug addicts. It's always funny when you see people say the games are "too dark", people have no idea :D
Lauren Hissrich is officially the new Kathleen Kennedy, or worse

Last edited:
You can already see exactly where they are going with the story, and it's gonna be facepalm inducing.
Hmm, feel free to correct me. It seems like both S1 and S2 attempting to use material from the short stories and the early books. Yeah, they changed some of it. The way individual elements were represented and the nuance was altered. They completely changed certain parts of it. All I'm saying is it's inaccurate to say it's nothing like the source material.
Dude, the show isn't following the books AT ALL. Ciri's powers are completely different which means the story will have nothing to do with the books once it gets going, it can't anymore. Oh, and btw, Geralt's mom WAS a Sorceress so he probably WAS a wizard before the Witcher mutations stunted his abilities, but also made him a bit different from other Witchers.
I recall someone posting a quote from Sapkowski a short while ago. It basically said something along the lines of Ciri was the personification of evil. I took it to mean she was used as an element to get there. As in, she isn't "evil" herself. Instead her character serves as the match used to light the fire, so to speak. It kind of sat there in the back of my mind.

It's a good example of what I meant when saying the ideas were there. Ciri's powers are presented differently on the show. Events and how it all plays out are altered. Regardless, the show arguably captures that idea. The character still satisfies this purpose in spite of those alterations.

The world is a clusterfuck. Check. People can be assholes. Triple check. The line between monster and civilization is blurred. Check. The characters tend to be flawed. Good people perform bad actions. Bad people can perform good actions. Check again. Those in power will do what is necessary to keep it regardless of the morality. Check. The Witcher order is a shell of it's former self.... The list goes on and on.

If someone gets caught up on "it doesn't follow the books" all of this is easily missed. They'd be fixating on the event structure and not the ideas behind it. It's possible they're completely unaware those ideas are present. Whether they read the stories/books and/or played the games or not.

Again, none of this is meant as a blind defense of the show. There are a lot of ways to incorporate those ideas. The execution for the show to get there is questionable. In more ways than one. For the most part many of the adjustments appeared as cheap methods to create emotional tension (events involving Eskel, Vesemir, Yen and Roach come to mind.. even Ciri to some degree).
It's complicated. He was against it from the start, reluctantly agreed and then changed his mind. We are talking about saving the world, not whim or because he wanted to. Or rather, he was misled into believing it would save the world. No one except the mgaes knew he was her father until VERY late in the story, that was the plan.
I think there may be some parallels with the way Renfri was presented. Some prophecy spells disaster. Oh my, let's do something about it. I don't think it matters. Whether the fate befalling her was intended, due to an error in judgement, ignorance, whatever.

Anyone entertaining the idea of capturing and forcing another individual to do something because prophecies.... It's possible the prophecy only comes to pass due to the approach toward the individual. It's possible the prophecy is being wildly misinterpreted. It's not a leap given prophecies tend to be cryptic. It could even be deliberate misdirection by the self-proclaimed prophet. It's also possible it's complete horseshit.
Speaking of which, isn't the show sort of portraying Nilfgaardians as good guys?
I think perspective may have played a role there. The bulk of S1 appeared focused on the entities being "wronged" by Nilfgaard. Perhaps Nilfgaard was painted as the terrible, conquering evil because of it. At various points in S2 it appears to show the other side of the conflict. Both Cahir and Fringilla come to mind here. Some of the behavior by the leadership of the Elves could fit there too. At the very least it dispels the notion the Northern Kingdoms are innocent victims. As do the actions performed by specific characters on the NK side of the war.

I dunno, the bar is pretty high on that "worse"
Definetly, but it stings worse in the case of The Witcher because it is the kind of book that deserves to be treated with the same seriousness as LOTR and GOT, and not like just another generic fantasy. The people who say the Saga of Geralt is even darker than ASOIAF because it deals with matters such as racism and pogroms (not really talked about that much in ASOIAF) are absolutely correct, therefore the adaptation rights of that literary work should have been given to writers/filmakers with that idea in mind
Post automatically merged:

They were summoned.

Pretty sure whores don't own megascopes, nor do witchers :shrug:

Triss arrived after that so no chance of them "borrowing" hers :coolstory:

So i just finished watching season 2 . . . WTF was that?!?!?!
It's like they gave the writer 10 random pages from the first three books and said: "Here's all you need to know, now make Daddy proud, kiddo."
On the other hand, if i forget for a second that i was promised an adaptation of The Witcher and got . . . . whatever this is, i don't hate it. I think it's lot better than the "adaptation" of The Wheel of Time - in Witcher i noticed only few totaly nonsensical scenes, in WoT there are few in every episode and it's blatantly obvious how stupid it is, Witcher is at least much more subtle with its stupidity. [. . .]
I understand that for those who love the books and wanted the the Netflix Witcher to be faithfully adapted, this "adaptation" is an insulting abomination. I love the books, so for me this was a tough pill to swallow, but in the end, i enjoyed the show.

Why did they have to kill Eskel?!?! There was at least one unnamed witcher left at the end, they could have killed him instead.
Vesemir wanted to put Ciri through the Trial of grasses? Are you F-ing kidding me?!?!
Fenn looks like something that escaped from Area 51. X-files crossover maybe?
Mutagens made from Elder blood? That's going to F-up the lore!
How the hell did indian culture/architecture got to Elander?

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching what they did to Eskel in this show be like:

aba.gif

It's like they gave the writer 10 random pages from the first three books and said: "Here's all you need to know, now make Daddy proud, kiddo."
I don't think there is a writer. I suspect they are testing an advanced Machine Learning algorithm. They fed the program with a couple of witcher books, a .png file of Shupe and 2 TB of Teenage drama and this is the result.

Don't blame the IA. Technology is not there yet. :facepalm:

Eskel looks like he got a...uhm, extra mutation.
He got Grootified, in the very worst possible way :facepalm:

...by the way, wouldn't witcher mutations render him immune to such a thing?
And why the fuck do they call Leshens "Leshys"?

At this point I'm more than certain nobody involved in this show has read the books at all. Hell I read the first 20 pages of The Last Wish yesterday and I'm pretty sure I've read more than the writers of this show :coolstory:

Last edited:
"Leshys"?
Because that's what the creatures are called except in the games.
One source, and it's also a Slavic mythology creature going by that same name.

-------------

I looked up Netflix Eskel out of sheer curiosity and it made me even more glad I wasn't interested in the series anyway.
Killing him off in a way that makes zero sense -- I certainly do not recall anything in the books or games about leshens being able to turn people like some other fantasy universe's vampires or werewolves might -- is ridiculous, and he'd have deserved so much better. :disapprove:

-------------

I looked up Netflix Eskel out of sheer curiosity and it made me even more glad I wasn't interested in the series anyway.
Killing him off in a way that makes zero sense -- I certainly do not recall anything in the books or games about leshens being able to turn people like some other fantasy universe's vampires or werewolves might -- is ridiculous, and he'd have deserved so much better. :disapprove:
If relying only on the books as a source, he probably makes the most sense as any named Witcher to kill early on. They're not going to be exploring game plots so far as I know, and he's not a very important character in the books so far as I recall (though it's been years since I sent my copies to Riven - so I could be mis-remembering his part in Blood of Elves). It was still a pretty cheap way to create to action and tension in the episode, and I strongly dislike it, but I get why they would pick him of all the witchers given the source material.

If relying only on the books as a source, he probably makes the most sense as any named Witcher to kill early on. They're not going to be exploring game plots so far as I know, and he's not a very important character in the books so far as I recall (though it's been years since I sent my copies to Riven - so I could be mis-remembering his part in Blood of Elves). It was still a pretty cheap way to create to action and tension in the episode, and I strongly dislike it, but I get why they would pick him of all the witchers given the source material.
Fair enough.

I can't say I remember what kind of a role he played in the books -- but as I barely remember him even being there I don't doubt it wasn't particularly major. :D

The games have made me really like him though, and that's why I think he'd have deserved a more sensible death if he had to be killed off.

-------------

Kay. But they could've kept their awesome appearance from the game instead of the one they chose. In fact, the design of all the show's monsters looks laughably horrid :coolstory:

Having never read the books or played the game (I have it in my steam library) I love this show. I'm already looking forward to season 3 <3 I adore Freya Allan and can't wait to see her kill more stuff!

I loved when Ciri finished the gauntlet and toppled off the end exhausted and Geralt said, "So close."

What they did to Eskel pales in comparison to overall state of the adaptation. Pedestrian, americanized schlock. I can enjoy schlock from time to time too, but not when it stems from much better stuff.

I'm just glad that my experience with Witcher started with the games. I doubt I'd give the games or the books a chance if I started with the show.

Top Bottom