Netrunning should be puzzle-based

+
Hmm.. for a simple hack, something puzzle-based would be okay for me.. but when things are serious, there has to be a real run in the matrix. *nodnod*

Imagine the possibilities of mixing time speeds, stupid example ahead: A turret that is about to shoot at something or somebody and while you're jacked in and try to deactivate it, a little picture-in-picture function shows the real world situation (wasn't there even a gadget in the P&P rulebook which could do that?), of course slowed down by a huge factor.
8)

puzzle-based?

like that?

it would be a waste to make puzzle minigames instead of a real open cyberspace

---------- Updated at 04:54 PM ----------

Good news - here again R.Talsorian has anticipated us!

In Cyberpunk 2020, what you see in the Net varies depending on how it's deisgned and how you want to see it.

So, sometimes you might see a Firewall, other times a line of Japanese foot soldiers with spears. Your avatar might be a Jedi Knight with lightsaber, fighting a Netrunner who prefers to be seen as a Xenomorph from Aliens. Complete with appropriate abilties from your Programs.

As for the abilties, those range WIDELY. Distortion, transformation, confusion, you name it, there is a program for it.

the net offers so many great possibilities.........

It absolutely does NOT need to be puzzle based. Netrunning in Cyberpunk is supposed to be a full virtual reality environment that you jack into. It isn't necessary for every character to be able to do in the first place in the PnP. You probably won't HAVE to do it. It seems a little ridiculous for anyone to demand it be watered down to a lock picking mingame in ultimatum to buying the game. If they were going to make it that insignificant and mundane (and slaughter the source material so grossly), It'd be preferable that they just didn't include actual netrunning at all and just did some fallout-ish terminal hacking thing instead.

I'd like to see it handled like a more modern, more sandboxed version of what they did in the Sega Genesis Shadowrun.

Last edited:
Puzzle games are a horrible idea. In just about every cyberpunk type scify media/book, it is supposed to be this amazing world/universe that hackers stay in all the time and want to LIVE IN because it is better and more exciting than the real world. It needs to be this interactive universe/ world that is cool. While cyberspace in shadworun was barebones, it was a thousand times better than text or a mini game.

hmmm, might even work best as a sort of Augmented reality, since anything you would see as part of the net would be a logical abstraction anyway. Like the map of the London underground, it's about what goes where in relation to the other points rather than the physical layer of the data networks.

Overlaying the real world, opening extra options for the netrunners at doors and terminals. even if they can still stay in one place and move with the party as a sort of digital ghost.

For some reason my brain just shat out the idea of an old-school FF8 battle or some such.

ZONE_RAT_HUSTLA USED BRAINDANCE!

(a neon pink skull donks the opposing netrunner)

Can't be arsed to look through everyone's posts, but how about a cyber-world system similar to the Megaman Battle Network games? I'm still pretty ignorant of the Cyberpunk source material, but I think it could work. I'd rather the world be more interactive than a series of mini-games and puzzles.

No spoilers, if you were wondering...

EDIT: When did .859 become part of my name?

Last edited:
Has anyone here played the cardgame Android Netrunner? Is it really related to CP2020 (I read in wikipedia that Android Netrunner is like a rebirth of a cardgame just called Netrunner that was set in the CP2020 universe, don't know if that's true)? How close is it to the Netrunning in CP2020 and do you think it could be used as an inspiration? I've just seen some videos on it, never played it. How good is it?
It´s actually pretty good! If you have a friend with whom you are willing to invest some time to learn it (quite steep learning curve) you really should try this! How close it is to Netrunning in CP2020 I can´t answer, since I´m not familiar with it yet (but will definitely check it out before CP2070 comes out). Could someone explain in a few words (if possible) how Netrunning in CP2020 works, gameplay-wise?
Anyhow, I think Android Netrunner could be very well an inspiration, since it has a vast amount of possibilities, the outcome depends on what programs you have, but especially how you use them - so it´s not only, but heavily skill based.
But please no puzzle-based minigame or something like that. IMO it would make it redundant to play a Netrunner-Char (do you call it this way in CP2020?), since - besides from that minigame - there wouldn´t be much of a difference gameplay-wise compared to other chars.
(Sorry for any flaws in my english and the fact that I don´t know CP2020 yet - shame on me! ;) )

Last edited:
I'm hopeing net running fits someplace inbetween the matrix and tron.vthere are some puzzles or games you play like tron and less real world like then the matrix

Top Bottom