NetRunning was a big let down.

+
After watching the new 15 min trailer. They showed us net running is going be a simple match the shape mini game. Which is pretty lame compared to the whole Ghost in the Schell like net running that is in CP2020. How netrunning work in CP2020 it is exactly the same as netrunning in Shadorunner return, Dragonfall and Hong Kong. Where you jack into the system and used programs to fight other programs.

Now we get a mini game. Where there like nothing guarding the system. Which I have to wonder why there no defensives on the system. That makes no sense. Netrunning is not this slap in a cord and easy access the core like the video shows it.

Maybe it just me. Was anyone else disappointed with the hacking in CP2077 video?

Disappointed, no. I've had my expectations thoroughly tempered over the past few months.

Surprised? Yeah, a little. We've seen more in-depth implementations of cyberpspace in games with significantly lower budgets. I'm surprised they didn't go for something a bit more interesting, with the defensive programs you suggest etc., but perhaps that will still be in the game in some form. Tough to say.

How netrunning work in CP2020 it is exactly the same as netrunning in Shadorunner return, Dragonfall and Hong Kong. Where you jack into the system and used programs to fight other programs.
I for one found this tedious and boring.
Step #1 - Buy the highest DPS programs available.
Step #2 - Buy the best "healing" program available.
Step #3 - Watch the AI's pathing and attack when the least number can counterattack.
Step #4 - Attack, attack, heal.
Step #5 - Repeat Step #4 an-infinitum.
Step #6 - In case of emergency retreat back to the cell/zone you entered from ... that AI almost never follows.

Perhaps there is more to come not shown and the demo snippet isn't universal.

Even if not, as a "fairness" argument I'd add that this is the first game of a set of games. They are in new territory as they recently or often said themselves when they had to switch from Witcher mechanics with melee n' all to Gunplay and other things.

I don't want to imply you can't be disappointed, I merely want to mention that it likely won't be a "perfect" game in all areas because it will also be an experience gathering process for them.

Meaning what users will later (at the latest with release) criticize, they will work on and likely overhaul. If not for this game or a DLC then the follow-up.

I never played the Witcher games but W3 was highly praised. Can it be assumed that W1 (now series wise roughly comparable to CP77 as first in line) was awesome or akin to part 3?

I doubt it a bit.

Again, not nitpicking on criticism. Just trying to explain it is a challenge trying to get it all relatively right for all and that certain features will likely improve or change over the course of not the game, but the games.

Who knows if that mechanic may even be changed till release. Would this be realistic?

I for one found this tedious and boring.
Step #1 - Buy the highest DPS programs available.
Step #2 - Buy the best "healing" program available.
Step #3 - Watch the AI's pathing and attack when the least number can counterattack.
Step #4 - Attack, attack, heal.
Step #5 - Repeat Step #4 an-infinitum.
Step #6 - In case of emergency retreat back to the cell/zone you entered from ... that AI almost never follows.

Match the shape with no counter hack is less boring?

It's not bad, really. Just a little bit simplistic. I hope that there will be more interactions added - like counter-measures and/or enemy net-runners trying to stop you.

Are you saying they didnt stick to the lore? I find that odd. Im pretty sure they followed what Mike has imagined it to be. Its probably outdated if you think how old Cyberpunk is.

If you read this, theres nothing about Guardians etc.

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Netrunner

The Menu is a group of Applications (Apps) that are Interface programs that allows a Netrunner to Locate Remote, Run Software, Control Remote, LDL Link, Load, Create and Delete.

Last edited:
It's kinda sad yet funny that the matrix-running on the Genesis version of Shadowrun was closer to what netrunning was described as in Cyberpunk 2020 than what was shown in the Cyberpunk 2077 demo.

If you read this NetRunning seems to be quite new thing.. at least thats the impression I get, aka not very advanced.

Sometimes you uncover important things — Corporate treachery or deadly secrets. But that's not why you Netrun. You live for the new program, the next satellite downlink — the next piece of hot data that comes your way. It's only a matter of time, you think — every year, the counter-intrusion programs get better, the Artificial Intelligences smarter. Sooner or later, a faster program or programmer's going to catch up; reach out with electronic fingers through your interface plugs, and stop your heart. But time's on your side, and until the ride runs out, you'll be there, bare-brained and headfirst in the Net.

Keive

Forum regular
I just got to see more of it before I fully decide what I think about it. Didn't seem too exciting but I wasn't disappointed either.

After watching the new 15 min trailer. They showed us net running is going be a simple match the shape mini game. Which is pretty lame compared to the whole Ghost in the Schell like net running that is in CP2020. How netrunning work in CP2020 it is exactly the same as netrunning in Shadorunner return, Dragonfall and Hong Kong. Where you jack into the system and used programs to fight other programs.

Now we get a mini game. Where there like nothing guarding the system. Which I have to wonder why there no defensives on the system. That makes no sense. Netrunning is not this slap in a cord and easy access the core like the video shows it.

Maybe it just me. Was anyone else disappointed with the hacking in CP2077 video?
I think hacking, as displayed in the demo, works pretty well in video game format. It wasn't going to work the same as in Cyberpunk 2020, because of lore related reasons (Blackwall stopping anyone from accessing the old Net) and also Mike himself stated he wanted to make Netrunning work differently to make Netrunners part of the action (which is why he put emphasis on local networks in Red), instead of having them slow everyone else down. Demo itself, however, implies that we will have a chance to visit old Net, so I guess then we will see something closer to how it was being described in the original.

Personally I think the minigame does look interesting, with the different side objectives giving us more benefits when breaking into the Network. The fact we can use different programs and can't change them right away means we will have to put some thought into picking whatever tools might be useful in particular scenario, which might add some tactical depth to the gameplay.

1.) The deep dive video showed clear cyberspace when you go into the ice-tub and Brigitte takes you to the black wall. Cyberspace just isn't used when hacking vending machines and whatnot.

2.) Some manner of hacking minigame has become an industry standard at this point. From Watch dogs to Shadowrun to GTA and so forth. What I saw was not that far out of the ordinary. Besides, they told that in hacking, the player has multiple goals and has to choose which ones to try to get, as hacking is on timer. Its sort of interesting, although I'm not a big fan of constant timing restrictions. (Thankfully I intend to play Solo)

Uhhh DBD, I'm pretty sure
netrunning = sort of like swimming in the matrix (to go to the black wall)
hacking =
(like the mix and match mini game)
And that's just one type of hacking. I strangely think that maybe that's not the only kind we will see but this is pure opinion.
Post automatically merged:

1.)Besides, they told that in hacking, the player has multiple goals and has to choose which ones to try to get, as hacking is on timer. Its sort of interesting, although I'm not a big fan of constant timing restrictions. (Thankfully I intend to play Solo)
Oh hohoho, oh hohohohoho! Don't even get me started! ahhhhhhh.
I will just say these things to keep it short and simple:
-I want to play as a hacker, but I want to be able to do anything and everything I want, whenever I want, so solo-ish type behavior sometimes, but lots of hacking
-I want NO timers. I think timers ruin every single game they touch, honest opinion.
-I hope I can hack the same object multiple times, and with enough effort successfully hack everything and gain full control over all systems if I try hard enough. I would be so disappointed if I hack something once and get locked out instantly.

those are my thoughts.

Last edited:
I think it actually looks really good compared to other ones I've played, though frankly I've never played a hacking minigame I actually liked. Hexadecimal puzzle minigame that allows access into a network while potentially getting fried by enemies netrunners or AI ice sounds pretty good. Much better than ME, better than Deus Ex, better than Fallout, better than Watchdogs ... Granted I haven't actually played it yet, but it sounds more intricate and interesting than what I've played in those other franchises. Keep in mind this is only a thing when accessing a network. Once you breach the network you have to navigate it, and you can also interact with your environment watchdogs style once you are in.

Finally, entering actual Cyberspace (which can be seen at intro to newest demo) looked really interesting. Even if it's only done for a few specific story beats, I'm very interested to see what that's like.

I actually liked the mini-game it was one of my suggestions from last year's demo. I'd have preferred that an higher value for INT gave a passive bonus (more attempts or more time) instead of hard gating hacking itself à la DE:HR, but everything is better than RNG so I don't complain too much.

This is not for real hardcore cyberpunk players. (( Because this is a game for the public. ))

1. Don't need too hard hackers ( other people will go crazy )

2. No need for advanced and intelligent AI

3.How did the compass system disappear? (Because the mass players will get lost, so switch to the small map mode)

G30M1

Forum regular
If it was difficult for players to hack, that would exclude a lot of people from playing netrunner. They're creating a game, not a frustrating job.

If it was difficult for players to hack, that would exclude a lot of people from playing netrunner. They're creating a game, not a frustrating job.

That's right, like I said. This is a mass game and doesn't require too difficult settings. (Like the compass system, why would it become a small map, because people who are now without a small map will get lost, they must always look at the small map)

Because people are busy now...

Top Bottom