Neutral Deck

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
Neutral Deck

Sorry guys, here i come with another one of my wacky ideas:

Is a fully, 100% Neutral deck viable? I know there arent any bronze neutral units, so it would have to have at least 15 neutral special cards, and that leads pretty much to Spellatel...

Even a Neutral Spellatel deck, i wouldnt know if it worked, but i dont like Spellatel and wont bother finding out. I want another faction, with not a single faction specific card.

Any ideas? I'll brainstorm and if i come up with something i'll share here.

:hmm:

You could make the ultimate meme deck with Gaunter and Avallach: The Sage lol. It's definitely not viable but probably really fun.

I tried neutral deck few times. Definitely not competitive or even reasonable, because the lack of neutral bronze units, but it was fun to play in friend matches :) Yay to wacko and experimental decks!

Sadly I can't remember what cards I used and what was the faction.

As others have already said, a neutral deck is a lot of fun but by no means viable in a competitive setting.

I picked Brouver Hoog for my neutral deck, so I can use him to pull the Silver witchers or Myrgtabrakke. All bronzes having to be specials isn't great, and I'd imagine it can be frustrating and/or boring to play against.

I've played the deck (or at least an earlier version of it) in casual once or twice, because why not. No one expects to run into something like that, so it has some surprise value. :p

Imagine if they implement a bronze neutral unit card. That would be interesting.

Last edited:
Will be tricky though to make a neutral bronze unit that has synergy with some of the neutral golds and silvers and at the same time isn't useless for normal factions.

But I certainly would not mind a neutral bronze unit, why not :)

DoubleDealer;n9817461 said:
What about a deck that has only witcher units and alchemy cards?

Probably has similar problems... but I'm sure at some point we'll have witcher bronze units to make a deck like that work.

DRK3

Forum veteran
DoubleDealer;n9817461 said:
What about a deck that has only witcher units and alchemy cards?

Already done that, and it actually worked surprisingly well, specially when compared to my dragon deck...

Well, it isnt full 100% witchers, as there are only Gold and Silver Witcher cards, but at least those 10 were all witchers (or the only silver alchemy card at the time -Dbomb).

The bronzes were alchemists to pull up tons of potions, but i was using it with Morvran so it also had spotters to buff with my revealed Geralt, plus those bronzes to mill the deck.

DRK3

Forum veteran
No Title

So, like i promised, i've made my attempt at a neutral deck... and it's awesome!

So far, 5 wins (one of them a forfeit for no reason) and 1 defeat in casual. I've uploaded a pic of the deck. Definitely now is the best time to make this neutral deck, as there are 2 neutral cards essential to this one that only came out this update:

Crows eye and "cow guy". I use Emhyr so i can use cow guy 3 times in a match, over 2 different rounds. I use the spawned cows for bloodcurdling roars, stammelford tremors and potions. And silver cow and Dorregaray for extra bodies on the board.

I havent even been able to play Drought and Geralt Aard and i've still won. Maybe i'll tweak it even further.

Attachments

• photo178951.jpg
    photo178951.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 144

DRK3

Forum veteran
So, 4 months after my last post here and quite a few updates later, i was starting to feel bored of using the same decks and specially of facing the same decks, so i decided to return to this: Neutral decks!

I might lose most times, but the joy of imagining the WTF face of my opponents when they see the cards im using is worth it.

This time, im using my dear Skellige, with Crach to fetch the still centerpiece of the deck - Germain! Olgierd is also very important too, considering how hard it is to get units on board.

Im not using Dopplers because that would make it less of a Neutral Challenge, but im using a few cards that can generate faction units (Uma's Curse, Dorregaray,...)

Tomorrow, i might disclose the full deck, if i can get the picture sharing stuff to work.

I'd imagine a fully Neutral deck is easier to build now that we've got Peasant Militia. Three small bodies from a Bronze that you can have three of. :D

DRK3

Forum veteran
erathias;n10635901 said:
Imagining the WTF face of opponent " SLAVE Driver " : Choose 0 Bronze Slave :p

Exactly! Since the Alchemy deck is so popular now, and im so sick of it, and they usually start with 1 or 2 slave drivers, i was kinda hoping to run into one of those last night but didnt get any unfortunately...

And yes, like Muffliato said, Peasant Militia are great, so i can have targets for my potions, or possibly bloodcurdling roars.

DRK3;n10637931 said:
Exactly! Since the Alchemy deck is so popular now, and im so sick of it, and they usually start with 1 or 2 slave drivers, i was kinda hoping to run into one of those last night but didnt get any unfortunately...

And yes, like Muffliato said, Peasant Militia are great, so i can have targets for my potions, or possibly bloodcurdling roars.

Thank you this gives me ideas for strange decks to mess with all the NG, SK, SC decks we see all day that just do the same thing every time. I don't even care if I lose just the WTF faces you can imagine would be worth it.

DRK3

Forum veteran
thirdeye50 And thank you for being inspired to try something original in Gwent. The game does offer a lot of possibilities and most of them are quite viable. They might not be competitive but they can still put up a good fight vs most popular decks.

Regarding the Neutral deck itself - i'm sure there are quite a few opponents that i've faced with it that just assumed it was a weird deck, maybe even thought i was trying to do a full SK spell deck, and didnt even noticed i wasnt using a single faction card, but i guess that is part of the fun.

DRK3;n10700681 said:
thirdeye50 And thank you for being inspired to try something original in Gwent. The game does offer a lot of possibilities and most of them are quite viable. They might not be competitive but they can still put up a good fight vs most popular decks.

Regarding the Neutral deck itself - i'm sure there are quite a few opponents that i've faced with it that just assumed it was a weird deck, maybe even thought i was trying to do a full SK spell deck, and didnt even noticed i wasnt using a single faction card, but i guess that is part of the fun.
Thank you DRK3 for the most enjoyable morning of Gwent I have had in a very long time, I made a almost completely neutral deck but I did go with Harold the cripple for my leader but my main goal was to see if I could make a deck with all no str. cards to make it work I did put in a couple faction cards, but what I came up with surprised me the deck performed way better than I was expecting, by looking at it I was thinking there's no way this will work. But out of maybe 20-30 matches (did not count them) I only lost like 10, the ultimate was the reveal decks with slave drivers and medics with no units in my deck nothing for them to do but have that WTF look on there face (wish I could have seen it that would have been grand) never seen someone rereading there own cards so much trying to figure out why Cynthia was still 5 str. and nothing turned over slave driver was sitting there all by them self and the medic had nothing to pull out of my GY. So again thanks for the awesome idea worked well tomorrow I make a whole new one with different leader and faction time to giggle again.

DRK3

Forum veteran
thirdeye50 Ahah, that sounds awesome, it might not have been a fully neutral deck but it was a 'no unit deck', which i confess i hadnt thought about yet and sounds equally, if not more, impressive.

Im guessing you went for Uma's Curse, Muzzle, maybe one of the Gold Weathers... Then for silvers, definitely runestone and ornamental sword, maybe summoning circle and a lot of spells. And for bronzes, which is the hardest type to get units, 3x peasant militia and 3x dopplers maybe? Seems like the worst nightmare of those people who hate the 'Create' Mechanic.

DRK3;n10700881 said:
thirdeye50 Ahah, that sounds awesome, it might not have been a fully neutral deck but it was a 'no unit deck', which i confess i hadnt thought about yet and sounds equally, if not more, impressive.

Im guessing you went for Uma's Curse, Muzzle, maybe one of the Gold Weathers... Then for silvers, definitely runestone and ornamental sword, maybe summoning circle and a lot of spells. And for bronzes, which is the hardest type to get units, 3x peasant militia and 3x dopplers maybe? Seems like the worst nightmare of those people who hate the 'Create' Mechanic.

I did use Uma, Muzzle, the blue dream (can't remember the new name) and Ragnar roog. The silvers were runestone, ornamental sword, summoning circle, garrison, white frost and cant remember the last one I think it might have been SK, and for bronze I did use 2x peasants 2x dopplers and 2 of all the rest most all damage like Lacerate ect. that way Uma could pull Ciri Nova (I personally hate this card but for what I was doing when it came up it worked) and made it all the better.

Top Bottom