neutral kegs needed

+

Lexor

Forum veteran
Expansion kegs are the source for all new cards (including neutrals) from newest expansion.

most efficient way to build is to buy faction kegs that has caused an imbalance in attaining neutrals. all my friends who joined the game recently have serious problem with how many neutral cards they have.

Would be interested to hear the counter argument to neutral kegs. As others have mentioned, faction kegs are a great way for new players to build up their collection. This leaves a lacking neutral collection, and expansion kegs are a very ineffective way to fix that.

It became apparent to me fairly early that neutral cards would become the hardest to obtain, so I quit creating faction kegs and always take basic/expansion kegs. It would be nice to have “neutral” kegs so faction kegs can again hold appeal. I guess there is a little strategy in determining when to abandon immediate growth in favor of future growth. However; it seems to me that the design of this game is far more oriented toward designing and playing effective decks than collecting cards.

I don't really see any harm that could come from adding neutral kegs, and I also am hunting for a few, specific neutrals that I just cannot seem to get. (Crafting them, while an option, would take all the fun out of the hunting.)

Sounds like a good suggestion to me, in other words.

Lexor

Forum veteran
As others have mentioned, faction kegs are a great way for new players to build up their collection. This leaves a lacking neutral collection, and expansion kegs are a very ineffective way to fix that.
This is a very wrong way of thinking and I dislike recommending faction kegs so much.

If any player would like to expand his/her collection quickly he/she should buy expansion kegs, not faction kegs.

Factions kegs should be bought ONLY by new players who has NOT got ANY ok-ish deck.
Faction kegs will allow to create such deck faster by "patching" one of the starter decks.
As soon as new player has such ok-ish deck he/she should switch to expansion kegs right away.

There are two main reasons.

One, of course, are neutral cards. But the other one is also very important: faction kegs are INFINITE source of possible new cards (with every new expansion new cards appears in faction kegs). Unlike faction kegs, by buying expansion kegs you can gather ALL cards from some one expansion and then move to another expansion kegs to get next new cards. By buying faction kegs while hunting for new cards you will end with a lot of duplicates - it's much worse strategy that makes you lose your resources (getting new card from keg is much cheaper than getting scraps from some duplicated card and crafting the one you are missing).

Every time someone recommends buying faction kegs he/she makes my cry.

But the other one is also very important: faction kegs are INFINITE source of possible new cards (with every new expansion new cards appears in faction kegs). Unlike faction kegs, by buying expansion kegs you can gather ALL cards from some one expansion and then move to another expansion kegs to get next new cards. By buying faction kegs while hunting for new cards you will end with a lot of duplicates - it's much worse strategy that makes you lose your resources (getting new card from keg is much cheaper than getting scraps from some duplicated card and crafting the one you are missing).

I'm not sure I'm convinced about the importance you're attaching to this point. Why do you think the chances of ending up with duplicates is higher with faction kegs than with expansion kegs? Once you have majority of a faction's cards, most of that faction's kegs will yield duplicates. Similarly, once you have majority of an expansion's cards, most of that expansion's kegs will yield duplicates. The same rule of math applies to both.

A positive for faction kegs over expansion kegs, that might be obvious but is worth mentioning: Every card has a higher potential to contribute to the one deck you're building. Especially for new players, who might not have competitive decks in multiple factions, there's more bang for your buck with faction kegs. While expansion kegs would open you up to other factions' cards that you might not care about.

Lexor

Forum veteran
I'm not sure I'm convinced about the importance you're attaching to this point. Why do you think the chances of ending up with duplicates is higher with faction kegs than with expansion kegs? Once you have majority of a faction's cards, most of that faction's kegs will yield duplicates. Similarly, once you have majority of an expansion's cards, most of that expansion's kegs will yield duplicates. The same rule of math applies to both.
Yes, but the difference is:
- You can actually FINISH buying certain expansion kegs and then move to the kegs from the other expansion - i.e. you are finishing "the chance of getting duplicates" from these.
- The content of every faction kegs is expanded with every expansion so they are not finishable.

Yes, but the difference is:
- You can actually FINISH buying certain expansion kegs and then move to the kegs from the other expansion - i.e. you are finishing "the chance of getting duplicates" from these.
- The content of every faction kegs is expanded with every expansion so they are not finishable.

ah, that makes sense. That is indeed a fair point, and I agree that expansion kegs make more sense to help round out one's collection (with or without the addition of neutral kegs).

If anybody ever cares to write a Newbies Guide to Collecting Gwent Cards:

Factions kegs should be bought ONLY by new players who has NOT got ANY ok-ish deck.
Faction kegs will allow to create such deck faster by "patching" one of the starter decks.
As soon as new player has such ok-ish deck he/she should switch to expansion kegs right away.

just my thumbs up!

- To me there's no "right or wrong" answer.
Both buying expansion or faction kegs is contributing to your collection, the real question is "what you are looking for"..?

- When I started playing the game I wanted to complete the monster faction first, so I bought faction kegs. When I reached a stage where I felt good with what I had I started looking into neutrals and hunting them down through expansion and faction kegs combined.

- You will get a ton of duplicates either way so yeah... when I found my self wanting to play a certain deck and I was missing a certain neutral I crafted it.

- All n all I think having neutral kegs available in shop is not a bad addition cause it will be helpful.
With each expansion it gets harder and harder to get specific neutral cards, so yeh, it makes sense imo.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I agree with @Lexor - faction kegs are OK, but mostly for new players, that want to focus on one or two factions until they have decent decks for those. If you just insist on getting faction kegs, then you will have the problem mentioned in this thread - missing neutrals.

I got a full collection without opening a single faction keg. With every new expansion, i just open the kegs of said expansion, statistically this is the most efficient way of completing the card collection.

Even though i have a "full" collection - meaning i have every card - i dont have a true full collection - having every card in both standard and premium form. That's why i still open kegs, mostly for MM since its the only im missing Premiums for. Then with the scraps i get from mill, i craft the standards from previous expansions i lost when i transmuted them.

Lexor

Forum veteran
When I started playing the game I wanted to complete the monster faction first, so I bought faction kegs.
Unfortunately, that's the start of "wrong" thinking: new player should buy faction kegs not to get the goal of "complete the faction", but to create the deck he/she is comfortable to win with - and that could be just a few new cards added to any starter deck so that does not require to buy many faction kegs.

Unfortunately, that's the start of "wrong" thinking: new player should buy faction kegs not to get the goal of "complete the faction", but to create the deck he/she is comfortable to win with - and that could be just a few new cards added to any starter deck so that does not require to buy many faction kegs.

Did you just assumed my BUYING HABITS SiR !? :confused::mad:
...nah I'm just joking...

- I never said I bought many faction kegs. :)
I actually bought more expansion than faction kegs, I did exactly what you described. :p

Top Bottom