New Batman is ..................Ben Affleck

+

Yes indeed.

Sard would make a better Batman.. I mean, come on people! He already uses Christian Bale's avatar! :D

Tim Burton did a lot of things...

I'm sure we can just agree to disagree on all of them...

Like his second movie gave the Penguin an origin that didn't go like: when Oswald Cobblepot was a child his mother would make him take an umbrella everywhere and everyone laughed at him so the ubrella part stuck and he used it as a weapon.

Or Catwoman an origin that didn't go like: she's a woman so a prostitute.

Yes. He did those things. From a factual standpoint. He proved that mutation and rejection was also a possible motive for umbrella-wearing and bird-obsession, and that women don't need to be whores to be violent criminals, but simply have some form of acquired brain injury. So he moved from poorly conceived "troubled" personalities being the only ones who could act this way, to the idea that everyone but batman is just disabled. So now batman is a guy who'd a trauma victim who runs around at night beating up people with serious physiological impairments.

I can see how you'd think anything would be better than the usual abuse of the mentally ill, but maybe better to look at just how big a word "anything" is. Considering that, as a mentally ill person, I've noticed that people cut me exactly 0% slack because I'm mentally ill, yet if a homicidal guy in a wheelchair assaulted be with ninja stars, I'd get mobbed if I retaliated. So I find it hard to understand a world where changing the punching bags from "mentally troubled" to "serious physiological impairment" is really an improvement at all.

Plus, since you wanted to go there, I also think Burton would be worthwhile if just one movie he made wasn't instantly, boringly evidently one of his from the opening shot. I mean, I used to like the Dead Kennedies, but after a while it was just the same 3 songs over and over.

In conclusion, all Burton did was Burtonize Batman, and those who like Burton hence liked his Batman. That is all.

If that offends you from Burton's version, I don't know why you wouldn't be offended by Batman comics in general since the introduction, sorry, the borrowing of Arkham Asylum of Lovecraft's, and I also don't know why true anarchists wouldn't be offended by being identified with a character with antisocial disorder as the Joker, and vice versa, how burn or acid victims wouldn't feel offended that both Two-face and the Joker automatically turn to crime after that, etc.

The thing is Two-face written right can have a lot of tragedy and a lot of redeeming qualities (see TAS as an example) and Penguin and Catwoman from Batman Returns are found as very attractive characters for a lot of the public in which I include myself. It's true that his Penguin deformed from birth, but not unlike the henchmen both the Joker and Two-face surround themselves with in the comics, maybe he was even a product of inbreeding in high society, in the end, the very theme of the story is "everyone has dark secrets that could at any moment come crawling up the toilet and bite them in the ass" (it's true for the -late- Cobblepot family, it's true for Cobblepot himself -scratching scene-, it's true for Max Schreck double -his papers and the attempted murder of Selina Kyle...-). As for this one's obsession with birds... that's arguable at least. Maybe I'm forgiving of this because the Batman of this saga wasn't all that heroic, ironically enough.

But as you begin your last post, I must end mine by saying it all reversed, again ironically enough, as you alluded my saying "Burton did this or that". Batman in his origins used a gun, Batman in his origins killed, he was as mysoginistic as any other pulp hero, and ever subject to propaganda making in times of war as an example. At some point, they decided to give his stories an edge, a distinction by making him fight a certain kind of villains: the mentally insane. And this sometimes came packed with deformities be it by accident or birth (Killer Croc) that were turned an excuse for their behaviour.

In the end, I think your post just shows how Burton is just a cheap shot. And yes, some people will give him praise and merits for things he hasn't done (like promoting him to director of films he's produced, or written or just sat near), but some will blame him for things he hasn't done. And if those two movies are so insensitive, isn't it more true to the original? What's the original? Just the comics from DKR onward?

This also has to do with the obsession of cleaning some authors' acts, like whitewashing Roal Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Tolkien or defending Lovecraft's work. The first I never liked, the second I've never seen the racist description of orcs in the text of the books but the third was more than I could take. And still people enjoy it and good for them if the ycan look past it.

If that offends you from Burton's version, I don't know why you wouldn't be offended by Batman comics in general since the introduction, sorry, the borrowing of Arkham Asylum of Lovecraft's, and I also don't know why true anarchists wouldn't be offended by being identified with a character with antisocial disorder as the Joker, and vice versa, how burn or acid victims wouldn't feel offended that both Two-face and the Joker automatically turn to crime after that, etc.

The thing is Two-face written right can have a lot of tragedy and a lot of redeeming qualities (see TAS as an example) and Penguin and Catwoman from Batman Returns are found as very attractive characters for a lot of the public in which I include myself. It's true that his Penguin deformed from birth, but not unlike the henchmen both the Joker and Two-face surround themselves with in the comics, maybe he was even a product of inbreeding in high society, in the end, the very theme of the story is "everyone has dark secrets that could at any moment come crawling up the toilet and bite them in the ass" (it's true for the -late- Cobblepot family, it's true for Cobblepot himself -scratching scene-, it's true for Max Schreck double -his papers and the attempted murder of Selina Kyle...-). As for this one's obsession with birds... that's arguable at least. Maybe I'm forgiving of this because the Batman of this saga wasn't all that heroic, ironically enough.

But as you begin your last post, I must end mine by saying it all reversed, again ironically enough, as you alluded my saying "Burton did this or that". Batman in his origins used a gun, Batman in his origins killed, he was as mysoginistic as any other pulp hero, and ever subject to propaganda making in times of war as an example. At some point, they decided to give his stories an edge, a distinction by making him fight a certain kind of villains: the mentally insane. And this sometimes came packed with deformities be it by accident or birth (Killer Croc) that were turned an excuse for their behaviour.

In the end, I think your post just shows how Burton is just a cheap shot. And yes, some people will give him praise and merits for things he hasn't done (like promoting him to director of films he's produced, or written or just sat near), but some will blame him for things he hasn't done. And if those two movies are so insensitive, isn't it more true to the original? What's the original? Just the comics from DKR onward?

This also has to do with the obsession of cleaning some authors' acts, like whitewashing Roal Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Tolkien or defending Lovecraft's work. The first I never liked, the second I've never seen the racist description of orcs in the text of the books but the third was more than I could take. And still people enjoy it and good for them if the ycan look past it.

Looking past it is one of those things that requires deep engagement with the art. I'm far more forgiving of issues in the last Batman movie than I am of flaws in The Vampire Diaries. Out of time, Lovecraft just sounds like a virulent racist whenever he gets onto those topics (which he did with alarming regularity). If I were a fan of horror, or not the grandchild of a holocaust survivor, I'd probably cope.

So, on one hand I love Batman. Got tattoos if you must know. So I can do a whole lot more forgiving than your average fan. Burton's Batman shat me. Tonally, thematically just a blatant means of cashing in on existing IP. Lacked heart imho. SO to hear his "Re-imagining" of Catwoman and Penguin held up as better than the lazy tropefests that are their existing origins, I just had to point out what struck me as an odd flaw in the suggestion. That he got rid of tired old stories and made up his own could be praiseworthy, but only under certain conditions, and the first one I can see being relevant would be that he come up with... well... less cheap and tired tropes.

So, instead of a Selina Kyle who's worked as a dominatrix, thus has good whip-handling and pain-inducement skills, along with a strong, seductive persona and an independent, somewhat criminal mind, we get some random secretary who can now do backflips and crack a whip with unerring accuracy because of the cheapest trope in existence, the old "She hit her head"...

Admittedly, the Penguin fares slightly better, in that it doesn't get worse. It's just different bad. Both explain why he behaves the way he does in a cheap but effective manner. In this case, change for changes sake seems to be the motive.

Besides, none of this will matter when they make Batman vs Superman, and drive both IP's into the ground, the way Warner has driven DC into the ground...

Top Bottom