New CD Projekt RED logo!

+
But what other symbol clearly manages to convey freedom, creativity and energy to the people ?

"In the cardinal we have a rare combination of good qualities, brilliant plumage, a rich and pleasing voice, beneficial food habits, and devotion to its mate and family." [Arthur C. Bent, "Familiar North American Birds"]

They're also notorious for never learning that their reflection isn't a rival bird and attacking windows mercilessly. But nothing else says "winter will not be forever" quite like a cardinal in the snow.

To be honest, the logo doesn't feel right, it isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about CDProjektRED.

Last edited:

Jupiter_on_Mars

Established in 2002, located in Warsaw (HQ) and Kraków, Poland, CD Projekt RED was born out of raw passion to video games. The studio’s founders--Michał Kiciński and Marcin Iwiński, both pioneers in video game distribution in Poland in the 90s, decided to employ their gaming industry experience in video game development. A lot of time has passed since 2002, and the studio’s logo remained mostly untouched. Until today.

The new logo is a combination of energy and passion for game-making the studio is known for. This is how Adam Badowski, CD Projekt RED’s Head of Studio, sees the change:

We are rebels and rebels are free. Just like birds. The Northern Cardinal is what we see ourselves in the industry: intrepid, bold and confident; flying high and aiming even higher. The colour, cardinal RED, is something that connects it with another bird, a mythological creature close to our cultural roots and heritage--the Raróg, a small firebird believed to bring luck to people. RED stands for energy, the inner fire that drives us; it represents something very close to everyone here in the studio--the creativity and passion we harness from within ourselves to make the best RPGs in the world.

Starting May 14th, the Cardinal logo will become the new, official logo of CD Projekt RED--it will accompany all official assets and will form the core of the studio’s visual identification.

Looks smashing.

@fracturedearth The problem I have with such symbolic logos is that they don't necessarily have to be interpreted the way their authors intended. The bird in question: CDPR says what it stands for and what it represents, and I say: no, it doesn't. And while they may be right in their statement, I am just as right in mine. Symbols are a code that we don't have to share. Just like for some people a snake is a symbol of wisdom, for others it may symbolize falseness and betrayal.

So that's why I said the new logo is pretentious. There is no reason for me to take what meaning CDPR wants it to convey. Even though it is rather pretty design-wise.

Actually, even what bird this is is not quite obvious. My first guess was - a parrot? Wait, it can't be right! Parrots are not really symbols of freedom, you know. That it is a red cardinal is not something that comes in mind.

Looks great.

Like a combo of Zapdos and Moltres:hai:

No really, it's awesome

edit: on the 2nd look - there's some Pidgey in it too

Last edited:
Well, whatever. This cardinal symbolism is too deep for me, I am more about the obvious, birds of pray kind of guy. But even if they chose smiling rat or dog's poop as their logo it will be great as long as their games are great. If not - no logo will help.

I absolutely love it, both the logo and the symbolism. They finally went for something quite unique and deeper than the usual obvious "in-your-face" stuff you see nowadays, which actually hardly comes as a surprise from CDPR.

Point is, no one will know there's anything deeper in that bird that looks like an explosion. (And when the logo is smaller, it doesn't look like a bird at all; I thought it was a spark or something.)

Odd choice indeed. Maybe a little too complicated for a logo, but I kinda like it.
I hope they'll make the RED red officially.

Top Bottom