New Dev Diary Available Now!

+
NotSlimgrin said:
http://gfx.quakeworld.nu/files/327.jpg

*sigh*

If that was directed at me, I was serious. The Witcher 2 inventory interface is much easier for me to use with keyboard/mouse than for example Kotor or a lot of other games which bury everything behind menus within menus. I really don't see how TW2's interface is difficult with a mouse

eskiMoe said:
It's also a shame that you can't use mouse to e.g. pick up herbs from the ground. For example picking up the herbs next to the witch's hut in Lobinden is a pain in the ass since they're so close together you have to be just in the right spot to pick them up. And if you move just an inch to the wrong direction you have to find "the spot" again. It would be so easy if you could use the cursor to pick them up like in TW1.. :/
Yes! Towards the end of Chapter 1, my Geralt killed a monster as big as a house. During all the talking that followed, the monster turned from a big corpse into a tiny pile of bones, and Geralt lost the damned thing in the tall grass. I wanted to loot the body, so poor Geralt is running back and forth through the grass, run, run, run, searching for a corpse as big as a house. This is completely ridiculous. I wanted to just be able to click on the damned thing, but noooo, we're optimized for #@$%& gamepads now. *grumble* *whine*

If they were already going to revamp the controls for the 360, I wish they'd given us real PC controls for our version of the game, and not this crappy consolized interface.

As far I can see, with Enhanced Edition finally we are going to get rid of the grey wolf and we are going to get back the white wolf :D (I hope to be right)

ElysisOne said:
As far I can see, with Enhanced Edition finally we are going to get rid of the grey wolf and we are going to get back the white wolf :D (I hope to be right)
I hope so, too. Until then, there's Delightful McCoy's Return of the White Wolf mod, which gives Geralt the white hair he's supposed to have.

Corylea said:
Yes! Towards the end of Chapter 1, my Geralt killed a monster as big as a house. During all the talking that followed, the monster turned from a big corpse into a tiny pile of bones, and Geralt lost the damned thing in the tall grass. I wanted to loot the body, so poor Geralt is running back and forth through the grass, run, run, run, searching for a corpse as big as a house. This is completely ridiculous. I wanted to just be able to click on the damned thing, but noooo, we're optimized for #@$%& gamepads now. *grumble* *whine*

You always can use your medallion after the battle, and every body-remain will "highlight"...

What I DO find REALLY annoying is the targetting system for opening a dialog w/smbdy... Sometimes I've found myself trying for 15 minutes or more to get to that characters fucking name, so I can speak with him/her... That WAS SO infuriating...

WardDragon said:
If that was directed at me, I was serious. The Witcher 2 inventory interface is much easier for me to use with keyboard/mouse than for example Kotor or a lot of other games which bury everything behind menus within menus. I really don't see how TW2's interface is difficult with a mouse

What about lists upon lists? An unintuitive alchemy panel? Poorly implemented font size in the UI and battle log? There were no sorting options in vanilla, and even after 2.0, Panel Tweaks mod is still the best sorting tool. Not to mention modders corrected numerous stat and item effect mistakes before CDPR got around to it.

When the game first came out, and the forums here were down, people over at GoG were furious that CDPR had consolized the interface. And they have - their words. Aside from that, there's the continual backing out and into menus instead of simply navigating directly with hotkeys, the mouse cursor drag which makes we want to strangle puppies it's so annoying...

I have heaped high praise on CDPR where I think it's deserved, but them calling TW2 a PC exclusive is simply dishonest. It was designed as a multiplatform game from the beginning, and they have never fully optimized the controls and UI for mouse and keyboard.

NotSlimgrin said:

Why not make a UI for PC, then a UI for gamepads? Did they think everyone was going to play with a pad on PC?

I'll stop. :mad: I'm starting to stew over this, and it's still great the new content we'll be getting.

I really wish they did what the Eidos Montreal guys did, if you're playing with the keyboard and mouse you get one interface and when you play with a controller you get another.

HomemComH said:
I really wish they did what the Nixxes Software guys did, if you're playing with the keyboard and mouse you get one interface and when you play with a controller you get another.
Fixed.

NotSlimgrin said:
What about lists upon lists? An unintuitive alchemy panel? Poorly implemented font size in the UI and battle log? There were no sorting options in vanilla, and even after 2.0, Panel Tweaks mod is still the best sorting tool. Not to mention modders corrected numerous stat and item effect mistakes before CDPR got around to it.

I agree that the lack of sorting options and some of the alchemy mechanics were aggravating (and yay for modding :D). However I still don't see why that's supposedly console oriented. If anything it's even more difficult to navigate with a gamepad as opposed to keyboard/mouse (I haven't tried it myself because I'm happy with the keyboard/mouse controls, but people on the Steam forums were complaining quite a lot about how difficult it was to navigate the menus with a gamepad).

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I see these issues as an oversight because CDPR was focusing more on the story and the combat instead of the inventory. I really don't think it's due to having the 360 version in mind for the future. I think it's just because other things were more important. Like how the inventory in TW1 was apparently very bad until they had time to fix it with the Enhanced Edition and make it more organized.

Corylea said:
"We've beefed up Chapter 3." That's excellent news.

Indeed :D I admit that the first time I played the game I didn't mind how short Chapter 3 was because I was so excited to hurry up and find out how the story would end. However now that I already know how it ends, there's no pressure to hurry so I definitely will enjoy having more quests and gameplay in Chapter 3 :D

WardDragon said:
Indeed :D I admit that the first time I played the game I didn't mind how short Chapter 3 was because I was so excited to hurry up and find out how the story would end. However now that I already know how it ends, there's no pressure to hurry so I definitely will enjoy having more quests and gameplay in Chapter 3 :D
I'm still hoping for CDPR to release some sort of DLC between Act 2 & 3. When Geralt & Iorweth/Roche were travelling to Loc Muinne.

For example them stopping to a village with a tricky monster problem Geralt as a witcher couldn't ignore. I'd love something like that.

MM360 said:
The time has come to release the first entry in The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition Developer Diary Series. In Episode 1, the developers explain why our game isn’t a simple port from the PC, but a full scale adaptation for the new platform.

"[…]The Xbox 360 version is actually an adaptation of the PC title, not a port. What we mean by adaptation is that we effectively rebuilt the game to make it feel native to the console," explains John Mamais, executive producer at CD Projekt RED.

"In creating the Xbox 360 version of the game, we’ve gone beyond simply porting it to the new platform. Instead, we’ve created a full adaptation of The Witcher 2 for the console. We’ve changed the game's controls and its menus to reflect the differences between the platforms, and we've made extensive modifications to the RED Engine to make sure that the graphics are jaw-dropping for Xbox 360 players. We're proud of the fact that this will be one of the best-looking games ever to come to the Xbox 360, while also being one of the most complex RPGs ever brought to console gamers. Current PC gamers should be pleased to know that they will receive all new content free of charge, including 4 more hours of gameplay." says Adam Badowski, head of the CD Projekt RED studio.

To watch the video, go to our <a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJH-nFl0w0c' target='_blank' >official YouTube channel</a>.
Well... I though the entire idea and the reason why we have this bad ui is because you did not want to have to work to much on the console one in the first place... and now you are making even more changes for it...

Kaldurenik SAD

Now i know you wont take the time to make a proper ui for the pc version. Its waaay to late for that (even if people did yell at you guys like 1 year before release. So it should not come as a shock that people are not happy with it. But in TW3... For the love of ******* god make 2 ui's... One for PC... One for consoles. I honestly do not care if you make the game multiplat aslong as you tailor the game for each version. PC REQUIRE some things (ui, lots op graphic options, maybe even a scalable font / ui... Good M/K support (the mouse support in the game is bad right now). And the console need... Well a ui that can be used easily with a controller (heck it can even be a option to change the ui on the pc version), larger fonts / buttons so that things are easier to see and tons of optimization so that the game dont go under 30fps.

But yeah... Oh... And a good CE that dont break into 5243234234 parts ;)

Kaldurenik said:
Well... I though the entire idea and the reason why we have this bad ui is because you did not want to have to work to much on the console one in the first place... and now you are making even more changes for it...

Kaldurenik SAD

Now i know you wont take the time to make a proper ui for the pc version. Its waaay to late for that (even if people did yell at you guys like 1 year before release. So it should not come as a shock that people are not happy with it. But in TW3... For the love of ******* god make 2 ui's... One for PC... One for consoles. I honestly do not care if you make the game multiplat aslong as you tailor the game for each version. PC REQUIRE some things (ui, lots op graphic options, maybe even a scalable font / ui... Good M/K support (the mouse support in the game is bad right now). And the console need... Well a ui that can be used easily with a controller (heck it can even be a option to change the ui on the pc version), larger fonts / buttons so that things are easier to see and tons of optimization so that the game dont go under 30fps.

But yeah... Oh... And a good CE that dont break into 5243234234 parts ;)
Yeah that's basically what I want too. Hearing them constantly calling the 360 version the definitive version over and over really makes me feel screwed over. Especially adding on the horrid UI that was always made for consoles in the first place.

Corylea said:

Is a very interesting choise of words.
The Loc Muine that we see at XBOX trailer looks like a butchery ;)

Why not!? They already wrote the damn interface on pc for gamepad and they said as much.

Sorry, but that is lame.

How is the UI designed for gamepads ? On the contrary I think it's such a pain to play it using a gamepad, I couldn't last more then 15 minutes. And I'm playing games with my xbox360 gamepad regulary, Batman, FIFA, etc...

Funny how the UI is such a big problem for some even after they've played and finished the game 2-3 times by now, and is still such a huge problem, even after 8 months after they've released the game.

How is a grid system UI going to change the overall experience so much, even after you've finished it so many times by now ? I cannot believe how can some still complain about this and didn't get used to it by now.

If they were already going to revamp the controls for the 360, I wish they'd given us real PC controls for our version of the game, and not this crappy consolized interface.

Well you can click it . Many PC action RPGs don't have a cursor free option to click on stuff and no one complained. For instance the gothic series, comes in my mind, and it wasn't a problem at all. Plus that freaking medalion is there for something, just push Z and voila, it highlights everything around you and you can pick up everything really easy. It's better then constantly hold alt like in the first game to see the description and click on the things.

I know that TW1 offered that feature, but just because in TW2 they removed it that doesn't imply "consolized crappy interface".

So they're just spending almost a year to adapt the game to the gamepad, when it was "already designed for the gamepad" ? Why spend all this time and precious resources for nothing, have you ever thought about that ?

I don't think they're that nuts, especially when they don't have so much money and people to spend one year on a thing that "supposedly" was already there, and worked so much better.

I perfectly understand that to some old school RPG players this isn't the usual type of UI and inventory in an RPG, but that doesn't necessarily imply it was meant for consoles, or anything else.

Some PC players tend to blame consoles for everything that they dislike, considering consoles inferior in every shape and form.

P.S: No offense but I'm already tired of reading the same complaints coming from the same people for the past 7-8 months. Every time someones has to open a thread about "how horrible and consolized the UI is" or "how badly done is the combat, because of the rolling thing".

And I cannot believe how some are still hoping to see a miracle that the UI will be "PC friendly" and that they'll remove rolling, or change the combat to TW1s style.

P.P.S: Let the dislikes flow now, I don't care.

MyselfCosmin said:
just push Z and voila, it highlights everything around you and you can pick up everything really easy. It's better then constantly hold alt like in the first game to see the description and click on the things.
It's not. The medallion "power" always needs some time to recharge before you can use it again. Simply pressing alt anytime you want to highlight the items would've been a much better design choice.

Corylea said:

Question:

Without going into spoilers, whats up with this "beefed Chapter 3" and what is special from what we saw from the scene with Geralt, Iorveth, Letho and Triss? Was the "butchered wizards" place not in the vanilla TW2?

Just some questions I'd like to have answered.

Top Bottom