New Dev Diary Available Now!

+
New Dev Diary Available Now!

The time has come to release the first entry in The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition Developer Diary Series. In Episode 1, the developers explain why our game isn’t a simple port from the PC, but a full scale adaptation for the new platform.

"[…]The Xbox 360 version is actually an adaptation of the PC title, not a port. What we mean by adaptation is that we effectively rebuilt the game to make it feel native to the console," explains John Mamais, executive producer at CD Projekt RED.

"In creating the Xbox 360 version of the game, we’ve gone beyond simply porting it to the new platform. Instead, we’ve created a full adaptation of The Witcher 2 for the console. We’ve changed the game's controls and its menus to reflect the differences between the platforms, and we've made extensive modifications to the RED Engine to make sure that the graphics are jaw-dropping for Xbox 360 players. We're proud of the fact that this will be one of the best-looking games ever to come to the Xbox 360, while also being one of the most complex RPGs ever brought to console gamers. Current PC gamers should be pleased to know that they will receive all new content free of charge, including 4 more hours of gameplay." says Adam Badowski, head of the CD Projekt RED studio.

To watch the video, go to our official YouTube channel.

MM360 said:
We’ve changed the game's controls and its menus to reflect the differences between the platforms
So could we PC gamers now get a UI/grid inventory build especially for M&kb?

Quite a few new devs on the Xbox version, hope this doesn't affect the game too much. :p

...but for some reason he died...

Could that maybe be due to that pitchfork pierced through his vital organs at one point?
I know he probably meant "he died and for some reason he is back among the living", but to me it sounded quite baffled like "he died and I don't understand - how could that ever happen? didn't see any reason for it". Made me laugh.

I'm glad you decided to make another series of dev diaries. I'm always interested in getting some backgrounds, seeing some of the people behind it and learn their motivations.

Hooray for longer Chapter 3!
And I'm astonished that controls have been rewritten from scratch. I'm looking forward to seeing how that will feel. :)

I heard mention of changes in graphics pipeline to increase performance on xbox . Is there going to be equivalent for pc ?

Looks boss.

dmcaldw said:
I heard mention of changes in graphics pipeline to increase performance on xbox . Is there going to be equivalent for pc ?

That would be REALLY cool,

mippoh

Forum veteran
dmcaldw said:

They are probably talking about changes that allow them to squeeze in as good graphics as possible on the 360. smaller loadzone areas etc, cause the 360 has less memory etc.

NotSlimgrin said:
It's not looking good on this topic since we never get answered...

Marcin already did in another thread. He confirms PC interface has not been changed.

NotSlimgrin said:
Why not!? They already wrote the damn interface on pc for gamepad and they said as much.

Sorry, but that is lame.
I concur.

I wish they at least released mod tools so some talented people could redesign the interface if CDPR isn't interested to do so..

NotSlimgrin said:
Why not!? They already wrote the damn interface on pc for gamepad and they said as much.

Sorry, but that is lame.

Hopefully we will get mod tools, so we can mod the shit out of the inventory interface :)

It would be nice if mouse pointer was improved so it's not like dragging it through water. If they at least did that I'd be happy. Just bought the original Deus Ex off GoG and the mouse pointer is like 10 times more responsive than it is in TW2, so I'm sure it can be done. Also, not having to back out to the main screen each time just to get to another panel would be nice.

NotSlimgrin said:
It would be nice if mouse pointer was improved so it's not like dragging it through water. If they at least did that I'd be happy. Just bought the original Deus Ex off GoG and the mouse pointer is like 10 times more responsive than it is in TW2, so I'm sure it can be done. Also, not having to back out to the main screen each time just to get to another panel would be nice.
It's also a shame that you can't use mouse to e.g. pick up herbs from the ground. For example picking up the herbs next to the witch's hut in Lobinden is a pain in the ass since they're so close together you have to be just in the right spot to pick them up. And if you move just an inch to the wrong direction you have to find "the spot" again. It would be so easy if you could use the cursor to pick them up like in TW1.. :/

You mean press control or space, then the cursor appears on screen? I agree. Finding the invisible spot is annoying. All of this was done for gamepad, and it's frustrating that after doing that they say, 'now were going to make the console version even more for game pads.'

Why not make a UI for PC, then a UI for gamepads? Did they think everyone was going to play with a pad on PC?

I'll stop. :mad: I'm starting to stew over this, and it's still great the new content we'll be getting.

NotSlimgrin said:
You mean press control or space, then the cursor appears on screen? I agree. Finding the invisible spot is annoying. All of this was done for gamepad, and it's frustrating that after doing that they say, 'now were going to make the console version even more for game pads.'

Why not make a UI for PC, then a UI for gamepads? Did they think everyone was going to play with a pad on PC?
Exactly. I wouldn't be complaining about this if TW2 was your average multiplat game. But the game was released as a PC exclusive so there's no excuse for this.

NotSlimgrin said:
and it's still great the new content we'll be getting.
Absolutely. Looking forward to it.

I admit I am a bit confused; the PC-version already felt like it was almost entirely designed with the 360-version in mind, what with the clunky menus and lack of hardware mouse controls and such. The vanilla PC interface can't possibly have been 'optimised for mouse and keyboard.'

Cool, I'll watch the video now :D (I'm reading the thread while I wait for it to buffer some more). I'm mildly disappointed that the guy has no accent because I got used to the adorable accent the previous guy had :p But it's all good :D

Edit: I got further in the video and yay, the second guy has an accent :D Such little things make me happy right now :p

eskiMoe said:
It's also a shame that you can't use mouse to e.g. pick up herbs from the ground. For example picking up the herbs next to the witch's hut in Lobinden is a pain in the ass since they're so close together you have to be just in the right spot to pick them up. And if you move just an inch to the wrong direction you have to find "the spot" again. It would be so easy if you could use the cursor to pick them up like in TW1.. :/

You can use the mouse :) I always put Geralt in the general vicinity of the item and then move the mouse to focus on the item. Then I can click to pick it up without having to reposition Geralt at all (as long as he's reasonably close to the object, regardless of which way he is facing).

eskiMoe said:
I admit I am a bit confused; the PC-version already felt like it was almost entirely designed with the 360-version in mind, what with the clunky menus and lack of hardware mouse controls and such. The vanilla PC interface can't possibly have been 'optimised for mouse and keyboard.'

What exactly about the menu is bad with keyboard and mouse? There were definitely some organization issues (or lack thereof) which mostly got corrected in the patches. But as for the inventory itself, it's a menu with buttons on it. How is that not mouse-friendly?

Top Bottom