New Digital Comic -- The Witcher: Curse of Crows #1 now available!

+
This probably means

Witcher Ciri is canon

The future looks exciting

AGREE! Ciri for TW4, please!!

---------- Updated at 04:14 PM ----------

Together with Dark Horse were excited to announce a new digital series, which will go on sale August 31, 2016! The series will have five issues in total!

Many thanks for that! I was really hoping to see a new comic this year. :D
And with Ciri, then... :D :D :D

Last edited:
Would be nice to play with Ciri

Yep. Even more, because there is many things still open for her, like the time she spent...

with Galahad on Camelot, and possible encounters with characters like Morgana, Merlim... and the Lady of the Lake.

The way she still have a Witcher's training, but no Signs or possibility to use potions... But can focus on learn magic... Would be perfect to keep things fresh on a new trilogy.

---------- Updated at 05:01 PM ----------

And CD Projekt can always keep making one comic by year, till the next Witcher's game.hehe
So we won't feel so much lack of the universe. :)

Yep. Even more, because there is many things still open for her, like the time she spent...

with Galahad on Camelot, and possible encounters with characters like Morgana, Merlim... and the Lady of the Lake.

Naah, that is all in the past already. I want to play after the events of TW3/Blood and Wine with her.

The way she still have a Witcher's training, but no Signs or possibility to use potions... But can focus on learn magic... Would be perfect to keep things fresh on a new trilogy.

Yeah, i thought the same.

And CD Projekt can always keep making one comic by year, till the next Witcher's game.hehe
So we won't feel so much lack of the universe.

That will be a lot of Comics....:p

I just want to say I am very disappointed with CDPR canonizing one of the endings. For a company that prides itself with having meaningful choices and consequences, they certainly don't care about respecting the choices their players made. They did the same with W1 and W2 and now W3. People who play your games get attached to these characters and stories and seeing you take that away leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

I feel lied to. When they say your choices will matter and then they go and make the choices for you it feels wrong. This soured W3 for me, I no longer want to play the game, I deleted it from my PC. If W4 ever comes out, at least I know what to expect, CDPR will just ignore the stuff I did in the game and decide to force what they like instead. I will not be buying it. Next time just remove the choices from your game and tell your story the way you see fit.

I am sorry for being overly dramatic, but things like this completely DESTROY my immersion. I just wanted to say that. Respecting player choice should be your priority, since that is one of the key selling points of your games, a main selling point in my case. I have seen people from your company saying player choice is very important to you, but now I know that is not the truth.

A very disappointed fan.
Lol calm down bro. This comic is akin to those novels/comics Bioware puts out where Alistair is king, Shale is alive, etc, etc. It's not "canon" so much as "What-if". CDPR usually doesn't canonize stuff as much as they just retcon stuff off screen. They've been doing that since the beginning, so you should've expected this, it's part of the reason they never splashed the import mechanic all over their marketing materials for 2 or 3. The import mechanic is a gimmick one they should honestly just abandon. It certainly isn't doing Bioware any favors.

Not to mention your choices can never matter in a meaningful way over an entire trilogy. You can do stuff like W2's Acts for sure, but what some people seem to want is something where an entire game would play like W2's Act 2/ W3's Unseen Elder/Fairytale Land with you getting a completely different experience based on choices in a previous game. That's not happening.

What comes to the comic "canonizing" one of the endings, maybe it's not CDPR pushing canon down our throat... but Sapkowski. After all, the man doesn't really leave it all a blank slate after the Rivian pogrom and Geralt's "death", but actually offers us some glimpses into the future throughout the saga. It's pretty vague, and does leave a fair bit of room for CDPR to wiggle around, but some of W3's ending states do rail pretty heavily against Encyclopaedia Maxima Mundi, for example. Among these tidbits, the names of the next two Emperors after Emhyr are mentioned, and there is no such thing as "Empress Cirilla" there. (Save for the imposter consort, that is.)

So it kinda makes sense that for any extended medium, they pick the worldstate that best fits with what's already been there for nearly 20 years or so.

I think if he is put in each future game, comic and whatever, he will lost most of his mysteriousness. There could be some glimpses, a few cameos - but making him the main enemy of the new trilogy would destroy him. Like being the main enemy of the third game destroyed Eredin.

I never said that they should put him into every future game, comic etc.

Only in The Witcher 4 as a main enemy maybe!

But after all it is just a idea, or a speculation if you want...nothing serious!

Yes :) When all 5 are released there will be a printed trade paper back with no DRM :)

That's hilarious. So in other words, no, there will not be a DRM free copy, of the digital version. And, CDPR will continue to support DRM.

Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
What comes to the comic "canonizing" one of the endings, maybe it's not CDPR pushing canon down our throat... but Sapkowski.

I do not think he cares much about what is in the games or comics, other than that none of those are canon to his work. Nor am I convinced that CDPR have any obligation to make sure that their story follows events that happen in the books after the beginning of the games' story. But if that was the case, I would rather not see more Witcher games made in the future and prefer CDPR to make their own IP - the risk of large parts of the content in the games becoming invalidated or "overwritten" by the work of a different author (possibly even by books that are written after the games and fill the same holes in the story, which would be a rather unfair situation) is not acceptable in my opinion.

Among these tidbits, the names of the next two Emperors after Emhyr are mentioned, and there is no such thing as "Empress Cirilla" there. (Save for the imposter consort, that is.)

Is it confirmed 100% that there is no possibility of empress Cirilla, even temporarily (for some time between 1273 and 1289) ? If not, then the absence of evidence does not equate to evidence of absence. Anyway, the books do not say it either that Geralt is with Ciri after their ending (regardless of how you interpret the ending), nor that Ciri defeated the White Frost.

So it kinda makes sense that for any extended medium, they pick the worldstate that best fits with what's already been there for nearly 20 years or so.

By the way, who are "they" exactly, was the comic written by Dark Horse or CDPR ?

Last edited:
By the way, who are "they" exactly, was the comic written by Dark Horse or CDPR ?

Some CDPR writers are "helping" write the comic.

Is it confirmed 100% that there is no possibility of empress Cirilla, even temporarily (for some time between 1273 and 1289) ? If not, then the absence of evidence does not equate to evidence of absence. Anyway, the books do not say it either that Geralt is with Ciri after their ending (regardless of how you interpret the ending), nor that Ciri defeated the White Frost.

Well, she does say she might pass on being Empress anyway, so they planted the seed that can get them around that ending.

I just want to say I am very disappointed with CDPR canonizing one of the endings. For a company that prides itself with having meaningful choices and consequences, they certainly don't care about respecting the choices their players made. They did the same with W1 and W2 and now W3. People who play your games get attached to these characters and stories and seeing you take that away leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

I feel lied to. When they say your choices will matter and then they go and make the choices for you it feels wrong. This soured W3 for me, I no longer want to play the game, I deleted it from my PC. If W4 ever comes out, at least I know what to expect, CDPR will just ignore the stuff I did in the game and decide to force what they like instead. I will not be buying it. Next time just remove the choices from your game and tell your story the way you see fit.

I am sorry for being overly dramatic, but things like this completely DESTROY my immersion. I just wanted to say that. Respecting player choice should be your priority, since that is one of the key selling points of your games, a main selling point in my case. I have seen people from your company saying player choice is very important to you, but now I know that is not the truth.

A very disappointed fan.

Though I understand where you are coming from, this is a comic and it is far better to choose one ending for the base of the story they are going with than making it a "vague" backstory that only makes things worse.

Last edited:
That's hilarious. So in other words, no, there will not be a DRM free copy, of the digital version. And, CDPR will continue to support DRM.

Thanks for clarifying.

As mentioned in a couple of places this is up to Dark Horse - they have a distribution setup and they decided how they sell comics - all comics that we do on our own are DRM free but we cannot make that decision for partners. Also DRM is not evil on it's own - it is bad because it makes the experience worse for legal copies - for comics I personally don't think that is the case. They have a cool app that makes reading comics for smartphones or tablets on PC a far better experience imho so I just use that.

Top Bottom