New Digital Comic -- The Witcher: Curse of Crows #1 now available!

+
Also, is the story well written?
The story was so silly that I found myself facepalming quite a few times while reading through it. This comics doesn't add anything new to the story, only trying to deliever confusion and messes around with lore.

Blue Igni, meh-ish colors, shouting the names of the signs like in a weak anime... I'm done.
Shall we pretend that this thing never existed? ;) *highfive*

As mentioned in a couple of places this is up to Dark Horse - they have a distribution setup and they decided how they sell comics - all comics that we do on our own are DRM free but we cannot make that decision for partners. Also DRM is not evil on it's own - it is bad because it makes the experience worse for legal copies - for comics I personally don't think that is the case. They have a cool app that makes reading comics for smartphones or tablets on PC a far better experience imho so I just use that.

Edit: What if I want to backup my purchases so I have offline access? What if I simply don;t want to use Dark Horses app?

I have seen you guys use that excuse several times to wriggle out of the fact you are supporting DRM. Dark Horse could not make the comics without agreement from CDPR since you guys own the trademark.

CDPR chooses who they do business with. You chose to do it with Dark Horse, despite them being DRM. CDPR is profiting from DRM content and you are also promoting / advertising it.

Also, there are several DRM free, witcher based comics on GOG. So clearly you can do it.

Also DRM is not evil on it's own

I think this is quiote revealing on how CDPR view DRM and how they advertise how they view it. Here are links in relation to CDPR stance on DRM:

http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-3-takes-shots-at-drm-1707277761

100% no DRM on PC:
http://kotaku.com/witcher-3-makers-promise-absolutely-no-drm-on-pc-1454991368

"We don't believe in DRM because we hate DRM. It also doesn't protect, not really."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-dev-explains-why-it-hates-drm-we-dont-want/1100-6422650/

""In my opinion, DRM is the worst thing in the gaming industry. It's limiting our rights to play games owned by us," Tomaszkiewicz said. "Let’s imagine that you have a game that requires Internet connection to prove that you actually bought it. What if you lose your connection because of your Internet provider? You can't play anymore."

The same also applies for all digital content, right?
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-dev-drm-is-worst-thing-in-the-gaming-industry/1100-6407588/

Your DRM stance has obviously been very well publicized, but if you could lay it out for me again...why do you think DRM is so bad?
I remember the good old days, I mean the good old retail days, where anybody could buy a game, a movie, a DVD, and you were simply the owner of the product. You bought it and you could enjoy it at any time, from any device you owned … the way you want it. And that's exactly the experience we want to bring to digital gamers or movie fans. These guys, we would like them to become the owners of what they buy digitally. And the approach we have on GOG is simple; if you buy a game, it's yours. You should be free to install it on any device you own; you should be free to make up copies if you so wish. Nobody should be telling you how you should install the game, access the game, play the game; this is not freedom. And you know, we have to give gamers good reasons to buy games, not to pirate. So the freedom we have in the whole GOG approach, the freedom is the essence of how we believe gamers want to buy games and truly enjoy them.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gog-celebrates-six-years-of-advancing-the-drm-free/1100-6422150/

http://kotaku.com/5892379/the-witcher-developers-abandon-drm-forever

http://www.pcgamer.com/interview-cd-projekts-ceo-on-witcher-2-piracy-why-drms-still-not-worth-it/

Last edited:
Edit: What if I want to backup my purchases so I have offline access? What if I simply don;t want to use Dark Horses app?

I have seen you guys use that excuse several times to wriggle out of the fact you are supporting DRM. Dark Horse could not make the comics without agreement from CDPR since you guys own the trademark.

CDPR chooses who they do business with. You chose to do it with Dark Horse, despite them being DRM. CDPR is profiting from DRM content and you are also promoting / advertising it.

Also, there are several DRM free, witcher based comics on GOG. So clearly you can do it.

I think this is quiote revealing on how CDPR view DRM and how they advertise how they view it. Here are links in relation to CDPR stance on DRM:

http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-3-takes-shots-at-drm-1707277761

100% no DRM on PC:
http://kotaku.com/witcher-3-makers-promise-absolutely-no-drm-on-pc-1454991368

"We don't believe in DRM because we hate DRM. It also doesn't protect, not really."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-dev-explains-why-it-hates-drm-we-dont-want/1100-6422650/

""In my opinion, DRM is the worst thing in the gaming industry. It's limiting our rights to play games owned by us," Tomaszkiewicz said. "Let’s imagine that you have a game that requires Internet connection to prove that you actually bought it. What if you lose your connection because of your Internet provider? You can't play anymore."

The same also applies for all digital content, right?
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-dev-drm-is-worst-thing-in-the-gaming-industry/1100-6407588/

Your DRM stance has obviously been very well publicized, but if you could lay it out for me again...why do you think DRM is so bad?
I remember the good old days, I mean the good old retail days, where anybody could buy a game, a movie, a DVD, and you were simply the owner of the product. You bought it and you could enjoy it at any time, from any device you owned … the way you want it. And that's exactly the experience we want to bring to digital gamers or movie fans. These guys, we would like them to become the owners of what they buy digitally. And the approach we have on GOG is simple; if you buy a game, it's yours. You should be free to install it on any device you own; you should be free to make up copies if you so wish. Nobody should be telling you how you should install the game, access the game, play the game; this is not freedom. And you know, we have to give gamers good reasons to buy games, not to pirate. So the freedom we have in the whole GOG approach, the freedom is the essence of how we believe gamers want to buy games and truly enjoy them.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gog-celebrates-six-years-of-advancing-the-drm-free/1100-6422150/

http://kotaku.com/5892379/the-witcher-developers-abandon-drm-forever

http://www.pcgamer.com/interview-cd-projekts-ceo-on-witcher-2-piracy-why-drms-still-not-worth-it/

Well this still has nothing to do with the topic at hand - all the quotes are about GAMES not Comics or Movies - DRM in Gaming is bad because it limits you more than if you would pirate a game and it does not work.

For DH we want to work with them and we like their app - you can download to read offline at anytime via the app or at your PC - there is no limit in the number of time s you can read it or re-download it. It is convenient IMHO and does not take anything I need it to do.

It would seem that on principle you hate DRM and I can understand that - we are similar in terms of games but we differ in comics and I can accept that :)

This probably means
Witcher Ciri is canon

The future looks exciting ;)

I don't think so because it means Ithline's prophecy has not come to pass. The game was made to match her prophecies. The year of the witch hunt in the north for example, was also predicted by her according to the books. Emperor Ciri is supposed to be cannon as I understand Ithline's prophecy.

Emperor Ciri is supposed to be cannon as I understand Ithline's prophecy.

I disagree. For what I remember, the only thing is that her children would be able to rule the world, but It doesn't mean SHE has to be empress or anything like that.

---------- Updated at 04:45 PM ----------

Has it been stated anywhere that this takes place AFTER the Wild Hunt? It could just as well take place within

Both Ciri and Geralt are travelling as normal Witcher's through the land, and having many new histories to tell, through a good time. There would be no space on Wild Hult for that to happen.

Well this still has nothing to do with the topic at hand - all the quotes are about GAMES not Comics or Movies - DRM in Gaming is bad because it limits you more than if you would pirate a game and it does not work.

For DH we want to work with them and we like their app - you can download to read offline at anytime via the app or at your PC - there is no limit in the number of time s you can read it or re-download it. It is convenient IMHO and does not take anything I need it to do.

It would seem that on principle you hate DRM and I can understand that - we are similar in terms of games but we differ in comics and I can accept that :)

Actually, Movies are listed in those quotes. But CDPR has been giving be impression for a very long time that they are against DRM in all forms and go as far as saying such in one of those articles.

But, even if I was wrong in that, basically, what you are saying is that DRM is fine as long as it's not games and CDPR are happy to DRM the shit out of everything that isn't a game. Oh how you have changed. I guess capitalism and corporate greed has ensnared another victim.

R.I.P CDPR

@Rafal_Jaki,

I know things are never 100% predicted but, it is possible/planned to have all 05 editions released till november? I'm asking because last year, the Pixel Publisher here on Brazil, has made a quick move to make a small "event" and launch a physical copy of Fox Childrens at December's Comic Con Experience, and I would love to see that again.hehe

I do not think he cares much about what is in the games or comics, other than that none of those are canon to his work. Nor am I convinced that CDPR have any obligation to make sure that their story follows events that happen in the books after the beginning of the games' story. But if that was the case, I would rather not see more Witcher games made in the future and prefer CDPR to make their own IP - the risk of large parts of the content in the games becoming invalidated or "overwritten" by the work of a different author (possibly even by books that are written after the games and fill the same holes in the story, which would be a rather unfair situation) is not acceptable in my opinion.
Sapkowski has pretty clearly stated that he doesn't intend to take anything that happens in the games or other extended mediums into account if he ever writes a continuation to the Witcher saga. They're essentially fan sequels to him.

However, the same doesn't seem to hold true the other way around. CDPR's writers have been quite methodical in having pretty much all of the book canon act as the games' backstory as it is. Their work is definitely more than a mere adaptation that takes the characters and setting, but plays fast and loose with everything else. Well, there are some date disrepancies, but other than that, the games are essentially sequels to the books as-is.

So it makes sense they continue that trend even in post-W3 content.

Is it confirmed 100% that there is no possibility of empress Cirilla, even temporarily (for some time between 1273 and 1289) ? If not, then the absence of evidence does not equate to evidence of absence. Anyway, the books do not say it either that Geralt is with Ciri after their ending (regardless of how you interpret the ending), nor that Ciri defeated the White Frost.
There *is* some wiggle room with Ciri being an Empress, since it could be that she didn't ascend to the throne as a sole ruler, but as a wife to Morvran Voorhis, who was Emhyr's successor according to Encyclopaedia Maxima Mundi. In fact, when you talk to Voorhis in Witcher 3, he actually alludes as much.

However, there is something else in the saga that makes Ciri as empress seem unlikely. There's that subplot in the Lady of the Lake, taking place about 200 years after the saga's main events, where two sorceresses, Nimue and Tilly, are trying to put together the pieces of what happened to Ciri in her own time. And they seem completely oblivious to what happened to her after the Rivian pogrom, which is kind of a massive headscratcher if she really became the Empress of Nilfgaard. There's no need for oneiromancy, just open a ploughin' history book, you two!

Of course, even this is not a direct contradiction to Ciri being an empress, because there's a number of hand waves that can be used to explain this one away (like revisionist history writing, which is actually pretty much what EMM is). It seems quite evident however, that Sapkowski never meant for her to be an empress, so the notion that CDPR's writers are simply sticking to the grandmaster's canon in extended mediums is still valid.

Well, guess I have to walk back a bit concerning the contradictions between Sapkowski and CDPR. Apart from the wonky dates I mentioned above, this whole thing with the White Frost is a pretty big one. Nimue and Tilly certainly don't identify it as a space-traveling Eldritch Abomination, but a simple natural ice age that awaits a few thousand years in the future. I know this is bit of a slippery-slope handwaving, but the best way to explain this disrepancy away is to simply presume that *both* are right. Ciri does defeat the being or creature that threatens to freeze the world at that instant, but the ice age still arrives later on, due to, well, whatever it is that causes natural ice ages.

As for Ciri becoming an empress to fulfill the Ithlinne's prophecy, let's keep in mind that a big part of the saga is that people have various interpretations about what that prophecy might mean. Figuring that Ciri needs to become the ruler of the most powerful Empire on the continent is pretty much how Emhyr interprets it. Yet for example Vilgefortz has a completely different (and far more grisly) idea about how to bring the prophecy to fruition. And both are pretty much wrong about it, to be honest. Prophecies are generally pretty figurative. As the Lady of Time and Space, Ciri is, in a way, already the mistress of a realm far bigger than Nilfgaard.

Last edited:
Actually, Movies are listed in those quotes. But CDPR has been giving be impression for a very long time that they are against DRM in all forms and go as far as saying such in one of those articles.

But, even if I was wrong in that, basically, what you are saying is that DRM is fine as long as it's not games and CDPR are happy to DRM the shit out of everything that isn't a game. Oh how you have changed. I guess capitalism and corporate greed has ensnared another victim.

R.I.P CDPR

Though I understand your frustration, they did eventually release the soundtracks of the expansions on GOG, thankfully. But Dark Horse has the right to enforce DRM on their products, even though CDPR accepted their means of distribution, saying that their principles are entirely gone is a bit too early, hehe.

But if they do continue making such "DRMed" goodies for their future games, then this will be worrisome.

Yes :) When all 5 are released there will be a printed trade paper back with no DRM :)

Clearly, the point is to have the digital DRM-free version. Scanning the printed one to back it up is a daunting workaround.

---------- Updated at 08:43 PM ----------

As mentioned in a couple of places this is up to Dark Horse - they have a distribution setup and they decided how they sell comics - all comics that we do on our own are DRM free but we cannot make that decision for partners.

Yes, you mentioned that in the past. But can you please explain why you went with the partner which insists on DRM, instead of choosing one more aligned with CDPR's values and which won't object to DRM-free release of the comics? That was already CDPR's decision after all.

---------- Updated at 08:48 PM ----------

Also DRM is not evil on it's own - it is bad because it makes the experience worse for legal copies

That's actually highly disputable. DRM is evil on its own, because it's unethical practice of overreaching preemptive policing based in presumption of guilt directed at the user. Regardless of it's unethical nature however, DRM is always making user experience worse in some ways. Inability to back up the comic, and inability to read it on any system which doesn't have that special application released for is a clear example of this. Such problems become glaringly obvious, when DRMed distributor goes belly up, and you can't access any of that DRMed content anymore.

Last edited:
If CDPR continue down this DRM path then, I will need to seriously consider whether or not I purchase their products in future. Anyone who cares about this stuff should consider this also.

New comic is awesome but I would like to get some confirmations:
1. One of the ending is canon now. ;D I think it should be obvious that this ending should be taken as canon based that cdpr already made one of the path from W2 as canon in Saskia's story comic, that is also have huge influence on W3 ending. But does it mean that cdpr officially proved this ending as canon that is also canon for witcher games in future?
2. Main quest in comic seems prooving that it is timeframe after ending, but i would like to confirm it too:
is this striga is same striga from Maribor forest that was mentioned at the ending of Ciri-witcher ending? So they took contract on her?
If so, i super glad that cdpr didn't forget about it but decided to expand story even further even if it not in game but as additinal art. I bet many people were wondering about mentioning this creature in the ending.
3. As you can see on promo pictures Ciri in comic portrait without witcher medallion and in her "exiled" outfit.
So does it mean that she didn't killed last Crown and took Vesemir's medallion that is huge part of witcher style and very important narrative detail or does it mean that we will see it at the future since comic will have 5 volumes and each volume will expand Ciri's story of becoming witcheress as final volume will be culmination of it as Ciri will get the only memory that left from grandpa? Also does it mean that Ciri even as witcher use "exiled" outfit ot it was taken just coz this is her iconic look? Coz i think in her "witcher" outfit she looks more perfectly to fit her new job
I really wanna see amulet on her neck as this will tie comic with game even more and make it as one super big art masterpiece. Such small things making this job and separating game from other medias is error.
I dying to know answers on it :wallbash:

Last edited:
I think it should be obvious that this ending should be taken as canon based that cdpr already made one of the path from W2 as canon in Saskia's story comic, that is also have huge influence on W3 ending.

Something from W2 has a huge influence on W3 anything ending ? I must have missed something. ::) And the Saskia comic takes it as "canon" that Geralt sided with Iorveth and freed Saskia - whereas the default world state in TW3 without save import assumes Roche path and Saskia dead. Go figure.

But does it mean that cdpr officially proved this ending as canon that is also canon for witcher games in future?

It does not prove anything, the comic may assume a specific ending of the game, but future games would likely have a save import feature and at worst explain how Ciri becomes a witcher even after the other endings already happened.

First comic was awesome, second one not read yet due to certain....restrictions. I'm working on a way around that though.

@sv3672 Well, I meant influence of player and as result on Geralt's deeds. Like, I chose Iorveth path, fought for freedom, succesfully defended Vergen and had zero value for Roche, saw that Radovid is maniac and then in W3 I read that nilfgaardians exterminated Vergen, executed citizens and etc.. Ofcourse as result I hated Nilfgaard even more and in W3 decision regarding war I chose to kill Radovid, side with Dijkstra and accepted Roche death with ease heart. This resulted in North victory, Dijkstra's crowning and Ciri-witcher. On other hand, if I chose Roche path in W2 or didn't play it at all, ofcourse I would not leave "friend" Roche for death, it would end in Nilfgaard victory and Ciri-empress. I think those ending are drastically different.
Regarding Ciri ending - I mean it states in new comic that
Ciri is witcher, not empress and she is alive after battle vs White Frost. And main theme of Volume 1 and probably 2, is striga. So I wonder if that is same striga that mentioned in-game. I sure everyone who got Ciri-witcher ending wondered why is it so short and why striga from Maribor mentioned but don't have any in-game activity. So, maybe CDPR decided to expand "witcher" ending that way? We need next volumes to see if changes in world related to any particular ending
. Would like official reply tho.
Regarding comic and canon - don't know if Saskia's story is canon or not but according to it Vergen is destoyed, and it should be so coz world can't exist in two different settings. So as result from this, it can't be ignored that Geralt sided with Iorveth in W2 than. Comic was released after W3 release so mayby just plot wasn't ready back then and "simpler" path was used as default. And about 2nd comic - "Killing Monsters": it also got release, also may got influence (how Geralt have a very "bad" relations with nilfs), and it serves as prequel to cinematic trailer with exactly same name. Not to mention that those events were twice mentioned in game during main quest. I think it making it pretty canonical, but than coming question: if 2nd comic is canon, why 1st can't be canon since both are official released comics. And then if those 2 are canon, why Curse of Crows1-5 is not canon?

However, the same doesn't seem to hold true the other way around. CDPR's writers have been quite methodical in having pretty much all of the book canon act as the games' backstory as it is.

Is there any official information on exactly how they treat the books as the games' back story ? I mean, there are two possible approaches to that, and there is an important difference between them:
1. Books are canon to the games until the beginning of the games' storyline, that is, the Rivian pogrom in 1268. After that, the stories are separate, and game events e.g. in the 1270's no longer have to be consistent with the books. I clearly prefer this approach that allows for more creative freedom while still providing a pre-defined background history to start from.
2. Books are canon to the games in any case, even in the games' own time frame. That is, the games have to be written in a way that they follow the events (both past and future) already established in the books, and they can only fill in "holes" that are left in the story. This is bad in my opinion, and also not safe for the future, because the holes may disappear later, should more books be written e.g. to continue Ciri's story.

Their work is definitely more than a mere adaptation that takes the characters and setting, but plays fast and loose with everything else.

If CDPR follow 2. (as described above), then their work is still only an adaptation in my opinion, because they have to follow an existing story (with known fates for the characters, etc.) that was written by someone else. They might provide some additional (non-canon) details, but they cannot diverge from the books' story to create their own paths. Only in the case of 1. would I treat the games as a real independent story, even if they continue from an established past. So, in short, 1. = sequel, 2. = adaptation.

Regarding Ciri ending - I mean it states in new comic that
Ciri is witcher, not empress and she is alive after battle vs White Frost.
. Would like official reply tho.

Ciri is witcher in the comic, because it is a fiction written for that specific "what if" scenario. That does not make it some sort of "absolute" canon that would require any future games to assume only the same ending.

Regarding comic and canon - don't know if Saskia's story is canon or not but according to it Vergen is destoyed, and it should be so coz world can't exist in two different settings.

Vergen is destroyed no matter what, it is invaded by Nilfgaard regardless of any choices.

So as result from this, it can't be ignored that Geralt sided with Iorveth in W2 than. Comic was released after W3 release so mayby just plot wasn't ready back then and "simpler" path was used as default.

Again, the comic is just a fiction for the specific scenario where Geralt sided with Iorveth, they could also have written one for Roche, but they did not because he is already in the game. And just because a comic is written for one specific path, it does not mean the others no longer exist.

if 2nd comic is canon, why 1st can't be canon since both are official released comics. And then if those 2 are canon, why Curse of Crows1-5 is not canon?

It is possible for the games to make events from the comics part of their story, but they are not required to do it. And Curse of Crows might be canon to the witcher ending, however, that does not imply that the other endings are not canon to a possible future game. That is, in the hypothetical case of a Witcher 4 with world state import, if your Witcher 3 ending was Ciri becoming a witcher, then the events of the comics are assumed to have happened, but not necessarily in the other cases, because they were not considered by the comics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom