New Factions And Faction Types

+
New Factions And Faction Types

We currently have 5 factions: Monsters, Scoia'tael, Skellige, Northern Realms and Nilfgaard. These seem pretty good so far and I'm looking forward to seeing more cards for these factions in time but I started wondering how many other factions could be implemented while staying within the Witcher 3 canon. I haven't seen anything from CDPR on more factions (and I don't expect anything until well after the full launch of the game) but it seems like a logical move to expand the available factions.

There are 2 factions that spring to mind that would fit within canon: Toussaint and Ofieri. Now I'm not sure how these would be implemented, I think Toussaint would be easier (at least for characters/cards) given the Blood and Wine expansion; I'm less sure how Ofieri could be fully fleshed out properly.

Any ideas on what other factions could eventually be added to Gwent? And what would be their focus (i.e. SK look to resurrect/self-harm, NG spy, etc)?

Knowing that we only recently got Nilfgaard I would expect a long wait for the next faction, but in passing my idea for Toussaint where their cards could have a wine theme, for example you could have a special card that remained on the row that says "all units on this row become drunk" and many of the units in the faction could have an added ability when drunk. I feel Wine would have to play a major factor in the faction at some point

Hmm. Interesting. Unless they wanted to make sub-factions from Nilfgaard (such as the Duchy of Toussaint), or individual kingdoms from within the Northern Realms, I believe the only other known 'nations' on the Witcher's map are rather mysterious, far-off lands, of which we have relatively sparse details. On the other hand, this lack of lore could allow the developers a fairly free hand in potentially creating new factions. Rather hard to say at this point.

I suppose that the current factions could be split - for instance Monsters could eventually be split into Vampires, Insectoids, etc. There could be a specific Bandit faction that included deserters from other factions as well as characters from the various bandit-related side quests in Witcher 3. I have to admit that I'd like to see a Toussaint faction - I think there is lots of opportunity to develop a set of cards based on the Blood & Wine expansion. However, I agree with Riven-Twain that we aren't likely to see any new factions soon and I'm not really keen on Gwent expanding the Witcher universe beyond the existing canon ATM. Think of this thread as a thought experiment into potential factions according to the Witcher games rather than anything else.

How about a Zerrikanian faction ? I'd like that but I prefer if they focus on the current factions and I'm sure that's what they are going to do

yea zerrikania, ofier, Toussaint, kovir&poviss, they are unknown and that can be a good and a bad thing, not knowing about them makes it hard for devs to come up with ideas but also let them decide freely and give each the theme the games gave them, (zerrikanians desert likeish like rhun in LOTR, kovir&poviss rich looking soldiers, ofier exotic looking african themeed etc.)

Yeah, if CDPR will make more factions of those far away lands with little to none lore, they can do it until they run out of colors.

Toussaint makes the most sense. More than enough content/characters/lore to make a complete faction. Zerkania and Ofieri would be awesome but can anyone name more that a handful of characters and come up with a picture/image of them? They would have to completely make up characters/cards (especially for silver/gold). I posted a list of Toussaint cards that could make an appearance... I'll post here again shortly.

lightosut06;n7883820 said:
I want a Witcher faction. It could have Cat, Bear and Griffin witchers. The wolf witchers can stay neutral.

What would the bronze units consist of? Witchers seem like they would all be Gold/Silver. But the main point here is that the definition of a witcher IS neutrality. That's why they're neutral and not in any faction. I would, however, like to see CDPR try to incorporate gear items into the game....... with so many swords, armors, bomb, etc it just seems like it could add another strategy dynamic to the game.

Ruthless95;n7882300 said:
forums got hacked or something some one halp, i'll summon the lodge
Merely a routine spam attack. No cause for alarm. The Guards have smashed the intruders.

I'm not pretty sure if there are people who are sharing my point of view.
For me, one very charming part of the game is to re-connect to all the well known characters and beasts, fiends and foes from the books and games. So it might be easy to add a Toussaint faction, but the other ideas like a vampire only faction? I'm not convinced at the moment. The first priority might be to balance out the excisting factions and later, too add different cards to allow more specialized and different decks within a faction? Just as an example: What about mariner/pirate themed decks in the Skellige faction?

Just another idea:
Many (most?) of the adventures of Geralt are based on the tale collections of the Brothers Grimm and on Eastern European mythology. And there is a lot material to find. Combined with the dark medieval times touch, Sapkowski gave the books and short stories, there might be a lot of appropriate material to find.

lightosut06;n7883820 said:
I want a Witcher faction. It could have Cat, Bear and Griffin witchers. The wolf witchers can stay neutral.

I love the idea of more Witcher cards e.g. Gaetan but I'm not sure they could be a faction all on their own; it's more likely that they'd all be neutral cards as romvay83 posted above. Maybe there could be some Witcher ambush cards (to reflect the ambushes used when the Wild Hunt attacked Kaer Morhen).

Witchers are definitely the most obvious, but I'd rather they were a neutral archetype that could be run in any faction, to give them more variety. The bronzes could always be token ones like "Cat School Witcher", "Griffin School Witcher", etc. Eskel, Lambert and Vesemir need changing as well to me, it doesn't make sense that summon each other, when Witchers are usually pretty solitary. There should then be a Kaer Morhen gold card, maybe that summons all the Witchers or something. There is quite a bit more they could do with Witchers anyway.

Touissant is the other one, but that should probably also fit in the Nilfgaard archetype. By the same token we could easily get a Redanian faction, for example, but I'd almost rather they were more defined archetypes WITHIN Northern Realms.

If they are looking at doing more Factions, I'd rather they looked at further away lands like Zerrikania. Obviously they'd need to make sure they have enough ideas for cards to fit a new faction, but it would nice to see places like that expanded on. It would also add more to the longevity of the game. Obviously there are quite a few more things that could be added right now, but with no more Witcher games planned right now, Gwent might need to expand the cannon when the game actually goes live.

SkippyHole;n7921590 said:
If they are looking at doing more Factions, I'd rather they looked at further away lands like Zerrikania. Obviously they'd need to make sure they have enough ideas for cards to fit a new faction, but it would nice to see places like that expanded on. It would also add more to the longevity of the game. Obviously there are quite a few more things that could be added right now, but with no more Witcher games planned right now, Gwent might need to expand the cannon when the game actually goes live.

Omg i would love a Zerrikania deck. But you have to think how much work such a deck would take. All the synergys, the card graphics and animations etc.
I think if there will be another deck it would take a year at least.

SkippyHole;n7921590 said:
There should then be a Kaer Morhen gold card, maybe that summons all the Witchers or something.

Now that's a good idea and fits in with the Witcher 3 game too. Maybe there could be silver cards that do the same function as the current Witcher silvers but are limited to Cat/Griffin/Viper/Bear/etc; they could have different combined strengths with the stronger cards costing more to craft? The current silver set is really important as it adds tempo to otherwise slow ST decks.

New Faction Ideas

I believe that there needs to be more factions in the game to let players have more of a decision with how they play. Already there are many options for various factions that can be implemented. Some of these options include:

- The Wild Hunt:
I don't think that the wild hunt should be part of the monster faction. Yes, in witcher they are damaged by silver, but they are a sophisticated elven species from another world. There are also many different choices for cards that can be made along with this faction that makes me believe this is an obvious and easy choice.

- The Ofieri:
In "Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone" we were shown a small amount of the Ofieri, a civilization located in a far away land known as Zerikania. The Ofieri have not been explored much in the Witcher games, but that leaves plenty of room to expand what we know of them with a new faction that would be intriguing to players.

- Witchers:
Witchers should be their own faction due to the fact that there are various schools of witchers that are diverse, as well as available to pull new ideas from. New cards could vary from Witcher potions and decoctions to mutagens and the mages that created the witchers. There is so much room to expand with this faction that it would be a missed opportunity if not used.

--END OF LIST--

These are just some of the more obvious ideas for new factions. If you have an idea or want me to continue this post please let me know. I want to see what players, aside from me, think of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom