New Factions And Faction Types

+
265feral;n7881620 said:
We currently have 5 factions: Monsters, Scoia'tael, Skellige, Northern Realms and Nilfgaard. These seem pretty good so far and I'm looking forward to seeing more cards for these factions in time but I started wondering how many other factions could be implemented while staying within the Witcher 3 canon. I haven't seen anything from CDPR on more factions (and I don't expect anything until well after the full launch of the game) but it seems like a logical move to expand the available factions.

There are 2 factions that spring to mind that would fit within canon: Toussaint and Ofieri. Now I'm not sure how these would be implemented, I think Toussaint would be easier (at least for characters/cards) given the Blood and Wine expansion; I'm less sure how Ofieri could be fully fleshed out properly.

Any ideas on what other factions could eventually be added to Gwent? And what would be their focus (i.e. SK look to resurrect/self-harm, NG spy, etc)?

Toussaint is beautiful place, peace place, out of reach of wild hunter. but are you forget toussaint is under teritory of Nilfgard?
it stated in game, if im not mistaken when gerald was on the way to Tou.

BlackArrow86;n8268050 said:
hallo there the idea just cross my mind that is it possible to have a new faction of witchers? Witchers got bear ,snake , cat factions, I think there is pretty space to create new cards in this direction and may even create original gwent characters. greetings

at least we can talk about TW here. no you are mistaken about witcher fraction
3 of them is not fraction, they are school of witcher. and there is no snake school, it should be wolf school of witcher and all of witcher is human.

this game name is "Gwent: the witcher card game" where Witcher refer to Geralt and there is no original character of gwent because its character come from TW. The most scary enemy on witcher for me is wraith and im so happy they are not here.

Last edited:
Fair point that Toussaint is technically part of Nilfgaard but I think it's in keeping with the Witcher game that Toussaint could have it's own faction - it's a self-contained country that has loads of potential for cards and beyond that there's very little mention of it being a Nilfgaard province in Blood & Wine, it's treated as if it is a separate country and the only reference IIRC to Nilfgaard being the Nilfgaard embassy. I stand by to be corrected. It seems only a short leap in faith to think that Toussaint could have it's own faction given how different Toussaint is to Nilfgaard.

I think the 'snake' reference is actually meant to be 'Viper' - and given the Viper weapons and armour available in the Witcher 3 it is a fair assumption to make that there'd be a Viper school.

What's about Zerrikania, Ofir or Zangvebar?

There are a lot of things which I'm interested in in the witcher's world. Especially I'm interested in learning maps and geography of this world. There are a lot of content connected with Nilfgaard and Northen Realms, but there isn't anything connected with far lands such as Zerrikania or Ofir and Zangwebar. I will be very pleased If developers will add something connected with this (new fraction, some stories or just a few cards connected with this region. For example:1) Borch Three Jackdaws(card,gold,legendary), zerrikania, ability: play Tea(gain 3 strength for each dragon on the battlefield) or Vea (remove 1 strength from all opposite non-gold and non-gragon units); If dragon on the battlefield is damaged, plays Villentretenmerth from your deck on the side of damaged dragon. 2)Azar Javed(mage,gold, legendary) zerrikania, ability: transform all units which ac be transformed intro mutants(like in the first game in the witcher series), all existing mutants gain 1 strength). I think it will be very interesting.

Idea: Faction and mini-faction

Currently we have 5 factions and neutral cards, except for neutral none of them can be used in the same time.
I mean the current system works fine atm, but considering all the possible cards we can add (for example Kovir and Toussisant cards, and many more cards will sure to come as the game develop, you can't expect people use the same cards over and over and play this game for a decade), it might become disastrous for card management in the future.
So I suggest this system:

First, we have 5 main factions:(Skellige is excluded because I feel like lore-wise and character-wise they are not enough for a full faction, considering it is a struggle now making skellige new card with good names and we are sure to have more cards in the future)

Niffgaard (I know I know I have a lot of typos)
Northern Realms (Only the four kingdoms, radania temeria kaedwen and aedirn)
Non-Human (or Socatael if CDPR like the name)(Also I think we should include gnomes and halfings etc)
Monster (Exclude wild hunt, simply because we have enough monsters to fill the deck)
Mages' Alliance (brotherhood of sorcerers + mage academies and Lodge, as those are relatively connected and their members' faction are constanly changing)

And now, we have many mini factions, each deck you can have 1 main faction and at most 2 mini faction( or 3, we shall see as it fit):
North side we can have : Kovir&Poviss, Far North, Hengfors League
North-ish: Novigrad, Witcher,Skellige,Cintra,Livia&Rivia, Saskia Free State,Verden,Cidaris,Kerack
South-ish:Toussisant,(Ofir,Zanguebar,Hannu,Barsa)
Exotic: Hakkland,Zerrikania.Vran
Other: Wild Hunt,Witcher,Bandit

That's like 20-ish mini factions we can choose from, and they can be released one by one for expansions
and finally some hard-to-categorize neutral deck cards

There are many possibilities and you can combine mainfaction with mini factions however you want, give players more freedom to build their unique deck.
Future expansions can then mainly focus on new minifaction or new cards for all main deck

Last edited:
Lyserus;n8491900 said:
Hey thanks for helping move my thread but can i get a independent thread in suggestion instead? :p my idea is not really same with OP

That is indeed a bit different idea. However, we would like to keep these faction suggestions and ideas in one place, so topic title has been changed a bit.

I made a really old thread about this (back when there were only four factions) with a poll. Here were the results - http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...ns-for-releaseToussaint is the only other new faction I really want, and it got the most votes in the poll ... though few people responded.

There's actually a thread about requesting a Toussaint faction - http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...cd-projekt-red.

FIngers crossed! I think it's the most logical choice for expansion ... mainly because there are enough characters there to fill the deck.

I hope the developers aren't afraid of expanding beyond the Witcher Universe (although i understand if they don't)

I would love faction based on their new project, maybe some sci-fy based factions

Toussaint and Rivia

Hello everyone. I apologize for creating a 2nd post but, I wanted to get this out ASAP. I looked at the forums and any mention of Toussaint or Rivia seem to be only for Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. That means I am probally the only one to come up with this idea. My idea was further enhanced thanks to some conversations I had on Twitch.

I was thinking of adding Toussaint and Rivia as factions to Gwent down the road. Toussaint could be a mix mash of what was seen in Witcher 3. It could have the Knights, the Monsters and a few others. If you think that it would be too much maybe you can send some of the Toussaint Monsters to the current Monsters deck.

Rivia could either be a standalone faction or part of Toussaint. Rivian Knights did participate in the Toussaint jousts.

As far as units are concerned.. I was thinking the Lady of the Lake could be added as a Gold or Leader. She gives a Witcher + x boost to Strength. It would be a great combination to a situation where you are losing, and make Geralt a better neutral card.

When I mentioned my ideas to JKmorey of Twitch he said that perhaps later on the specific triggers could be furthered by making Legendaries that are associated with each of the knightley attributes.

For Bronzes perhaps the Toussaint Knights could be added. Perhaps some of the Silvers could be the Knight Captain, Vivaldi Bankers, or something like the Rainbow/Fantasy world creatures.

This faction would be reliant on minimum, to no synergy, high strength units. Toussaint is a brave country and most of the time, their knights fight alone. That would be the goal here.. Bully your opponent with raw strength.

I have plenty more than this but, these are just a few examples. Any thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Last edited:
I have though of this as well and I would think that Toussaint would be a very likely expansion candidate in the future. Rivia on the other hand... I'm no lore expert, so perhaps I'm wrong here, but Rivia is not really talked about that much in the games or in the books. Of course you can make stuff up but to begin with I feel like there's not much to go on with Rivia, unlike with Toussaint which has more of a prominent theme and characters around it. So I think Rivia as a standalone faction wouldn't make sense to me, but again, maybe I'm wrong.

This did not show up on my searches so I apologize. Very well. Then most of what I came up with was definately not posted in the forums. I have been coming up with alot more card ideas since the post. I will share them at a later time if the idea is taken seriously.

That is correct. Rivia is not talked about much. There is a few mentions such as Geralt. Geralt wasn't from Rivia but, he got the title for participating in the Battle for the Bridge on the Yaruga.

Another mention is Rivia did fight with Nilfgaard. If there isn't enough in any of that lore then just add Knights of Rivia as a unit to Toussaint

Suggestions for Factions and themes

Heyho I have some Suggestions how about :

Faction 1 Touissant: Themes would be Vampires,Knights,wine and "positive weather" I mean Touissant is known for the vampires, the wine,the knight code and beautiful scenerie so what I would suggest is:

For scenerie: cards like "Flower garden gold" apply Flower garden to all your Row'S and heal them for 1 every turn and a thing that I would make unique to "Scenerie Cards" would be that they co-exist with weather instead of them replacing each other because in the rain fog and ice a flower garden is still beautiful and thus heals you.

Knight code: this I would make a tag like "trio" that has the effect that whenever a civillian (a card that doesn't have the tag "mage", "Vampire" ,"Spy"or "Knight Code") on your side of the board get'S damaged they take the dmg instead and damage a random enemy card by half the damage they took but only if they survive the damage. They should also be the onlycards in the faction that have armour.

Wine: Faction specific "Potions" that give single card buffs and "wine Connesieurs" (a new tag for Touissant) would get extra bonuses from wine like in the past were witchers would get more power from potions. And "bad wine" that does small damage to solo target'S

Vampires: They should be all normal Humans (that count as Civillians and not Vampires) at the start with effects, together with their effects they get the effect Bloodthirst that when a "Civillian" get's damaged but not destroyed they Transform into Vampires with high power and the effect whenever a card is damaged heal yourself by 1.

Factions 2 is just a cool idea I have the "Fight Club" where all the cards are Fistfighters from different places united in this faction .

Ty alot for reading and tell me if you like it ^^.
(oh and for anyone wondering I am rank 18)

Last edited:
Sadly, I don't know much about Witcher's lore, so can't suggest a good faction...

But I was thinking of a Mercenary neutral side-faction. Those card would have okay stats, but would put a "coin card" in your deck. When play the coin card on them, they would become better. ex.

Razer Company: Str 7 Add 1 Coin card into your deck.
If played a Coin card on to this unit, it become a Str 11.

Coin: Boost a unit card by 1. Draw and play another card.

actionjack123;n9197201 said:
Sadly, I don't know much about Witcher's lore, so can't suggest a good faction...

But I was thinking of a Mercenary neutral side-faction. Those card would have okay stats, but would put a "coin card" in your deck. When play the coin card on them, they would become better. ex.

Razer Company: Str 7 Add 1 Coin card into your deck.
If played a Coin card on to this unit, it become a Str 11.

Coin: Boost a unit card by 1. Draw and play another card.

I think the idea is not bad but how about making more like cards with normal stats and effects like "Rob" when a gold card is played of any side demotte it and then buff the mercenary instead of coins?

Top Bottom