New Game+ is coming it seems

+
Sweet :nice:

When the DLC is out I guess it's time for a new playthrough nice and slow until the first expansion is out :)

I'm actually interested in this. Though I do think it will take away from the need to explore, especially in regards to the gear. Assuming everything carries over, you'll have no treasure hunts to do.

I got annoyed with these anyway, as they distracted from the main story, I would have to go way off Geralt's story driven path to get a glove recipe. They could replace the recipe's with upgrades (Same look, higher level) to keep the same reasons to go there though.

---------- Updated at 07:11 PM ----------

i'm truly disappointed with the new game plus mode as a final DLC. i truly was expecting something big as they say, but sadly it's not the case :/
and i'm still convinced that a new game + is totally unnecessary in an RPG.

How is this not Big? I was expecting Starting armor upgrades. This is way bigger than that.

I got annoyed with these anyway, as they distracted from the main story, I would have to go way off Geralt's story driven path to get a glove recipe. They could replace the recipe's with upgrades (Same look, higher level) to keep the same reasons to go there though.

True, they kind of got tedious on the second play through once you'd already explored them the first time around.

I'm actually interested in this. Though I do think it will take away from the need to explore, especially in regards to the gear. Assuming everything carries over, you'll have no treasure hunts to do.
Not necessarily. If the game files are to be believed, we can be sure at least the Witcher gear treasure hunts are getting 'upped' beyond Mastercrafted.

I know it sounds like I want to be the the party pooper at all costs, but I can't help but wonder if all the people cheering for this... thing do even realize what a NG+ mode actually implies.

I won't presume to speak for "all the people," but I'll try to articulate my own position regarding this . . . thing. Leveling mechanics in many RPG's tend to strike me as artificial and immersion breaking. I understand and respect that leveling is part of the RPG genre's DNA at this point, and I don't mind it when there's a narrative rationale for using it. If your character is young and inexperienced, or if your character suffers some trauma that renders them incapable of recalling their past, then I can tolerate leveling up from nothing because it's part of that particular character's narrative arc. But by the time we reach TW3, Geralt's story is no longer that of the amnesiac, and he's by no means young or inexperienced. He's a veteran witcher who has recovered his memory. The narrative implications of that make it impossible for me to register the need to level up, or gather basic alchemy formulae, or scavenge weak armors, as anything other than a verisimilitude-shattering concession to a genre convention. You have to level up in this RPG because that's what you do in RPGs, rather than because that's what it makes sense for this character to do in this RPG. It reminds me over and over again that I'm playing a game, instead of letting me become fully emotionally absorbed into the story of a man's search for his daughter.

If NG+ allows me to replay the game while retaining my levels and gear, I get to play the game as I would have preferred to play it from day 1: as a veteran witcher with access to decent gear, and in possession of a believably robust body of knowledge about how to do what witchers do. I get to look like a veteran witcher, swordfight like a veteran witcher, cast signs like a veteran witcher, mix potions like a veteran witcher, all from the beginning and without having to learn those skills, which is ok with me, because a veteran witcher is exactly what Geralt is. Some people will protest that this removes all sense of progression from the game, and that's a valid complaint if those types of progression are the ones that bring you the most satisfaction. But the progression that brings me the most satisfaction has nothing to do with leveling up. The progression I'm interested in is narrative progression and character progression. It has to do with making choices, exploring relationships, coming to terms with past tragedy and trying to prevent them from recurring in the future. You know, story stuff. And I am best able to concentrate on story stuff when I don't have to be distracted by satisfying a semi-arbitrary level requirement in order to actually look like and fight like the kind of character I'm supposed to be already.

That's the best explanation I can manage right now. NG+ isn't for everyone, and those of us who advocated for it weren't always doing so for the exact same reasons. We're not a homogenous group with uniform preferences. But I think that most of us who asked for it did so fully cognizant of what we were asking for.

Last edited:
Here is what I think HAS to be done in order for this to work. (or at least close to this)

- Retain Levels and points from levels. You get to spend your points at the start of the game
- Points from Places of Power are removed and you have to go to them again
- Quest given items are removed, so you get them in the story again
- Enemies are scaled to match (Don't see how they couldn't because even a seasoned witcher can still be killed by a mob with pitch forks)
- All potions/bombs/oils are removed and you have to get them all over again (Totally cool with that)
- The big question is armor and weapons. I am guessing that they will have higher level versions of themselves and you will start off with all the current versions.

Good stuff, because there is absolutely no way am I going to hunt for all those diagrams again. I can't believe there are actually people against this; I am against new beards and hairstyles because i think valuable dev time could be spent elsewhere, but You don't see me starting a new thread b****ing about it.

If I had to start over from scratch again playing a new game it'd be like the Polish version of groundhog day. Geralt forgets everything and has to start all over. If some people enjoy that, great, go start a new game. But don't try and prevent CDPR from developing NG+. For me, it is a way to properly enjoy the game again without goign through the tedious parts, and not feel like i wasted my 150 previous hrs.

If NG+ allows me to replay the game while retaining my levels and gear, I get to play the game as I would have preferred to play it from day 1: as a veteran witcher with access to decent gear, and in possession of a believably robust body of knowledge about how to do what witchers do. I get to look like a veteran witcher, swordfight like a veteran witcher, cast signs like a veteran witcher, mix potions like a veteran witcher, all from the beginning and without having to learn those skills, which is ok with me, because a veteran witcher is exactly what Geralt is.

Completely agree. So maybe they will let you start off with all recipes known, or at least the first level of them.

Re: Places of Power skill points. No reason they need to be given back for NG. The PoP's will now only give you the Sign buffs when you re-discover them.

I think this picture is worth sharing:

Not mine. Got it from another forum a few weeks back.

I won't presume to speak for "all the people," but I'll try to articulate my own position regarding this . . . thing. Leveling mechanics in many RPG's tend to strike me as artificial and immersion breaking. I understand and respect that leveling is part of the RPG genre's DNA at this point, and I don't mind it when there's a narrative rationale for using it. If your character is young and inexperienced, or if your character suffers some trauma that renders them incapable of recalling their past, then I can tolerate leveling up from nothing because it's part of that particular character's narrative arc. But by the time we reach TW3, Geralt's story is no longer that of the amnesiac, and he's by no means young or inexperienced. He's a veteran witcher who has recovered his memory. The narrative implications of that make it impossible for me to register the need to level up, or gather basic alchemy formulae, or scavenge weak armors, as little more than a verisimilitude-shattering concession to a genre convention. You have to level up in this RPG because that's what you do in RPGs, rather than because that's what it makes sense for this character to do in this RPG. It reminds me over and over again that I'm playing a game, instead of letting me become fully emotionally absorbed into the story of a man's search for his daughter.

If NG+ allows me to replay the game while retaining my levels and gear, I get to play the game as I would have preferred to play it from day 1: as a veteran witcher with access to decent gear, and in possession of a believably robust body of knowledge about how to do what witchers do. I get to look like a veteran witcher, swordfight like a veteran witcher, cast signs like a veteran witcher, mix potions like a veteran witcher, all from the beginning and without having to learn those skills, which is ok with me, because a veteran witcher is exactly what Geralt is. Some people will protest that this removes all sense of progression from the game, and that's a valid complaint if those types of progression are the ones that bring you the most satisfaction. But the progression that brings me the most satisfaction has nothing to do with leveling up. The progression I'm interested in is narrative progression and character progression. It has to do with making choices, exploring relationships, coming to terms with past tragedy and trying to prevent them from recurring in the future. You know, story stuff. And I am best able to concentrate on story stuff when I don't have to be distracted by satisfying a semi-arbitrary level requirement in order to actually look like and fight like the kind of character I'm supposed to be already.

That's the best explanation I can manage right now. NG+ isn't for everyone, and those of us who advocated for it weren't always doing so for the exact same reasons. We're not a homogenous group with uniform preferences. But I think that most of us who asked for it did so fully cognizant of what we were asking for.

Huh... Never looked at NG+ from that perspective. When you put it that way, it actually sounds appealing. Interesting. I think I'm down with that, especially because it is optional.

If we start off with all our items and gold, I am going to trash all of it except one set of armor and weapons and go from there.

Can someone explain to me what NG + is?
Basically you can start over with all the things you had while finsihing the game?
Wouldn't that be too easy?

Well, no, obviously you will start at something like level 35 and the "weakest" creatures in the game will be level 35 wild dogs and so on...

In short, pointless bullshit.

Can you stop calling bullshit or garbage something other people may like please?

So what exactly does this mean? Is there going to be any new content or is it about having the option to start a new game with end game items and lots of gold?

Top Bottom