New Game Mechanics in Trailer!!!

+
New Game Mechanics in Trailer!!!

Haha, okay, I am calm now.

Here's what has been spotted thus far:

-horseback mechanics for player (as previously reported)
-sailing mechanics for player (as previously reported)
-signs can be used in two ways (as previously reported)
-aard attack on enemies horses (new)
-FOV and combat camera improvement (new)

I am absolutely ecstatic about boats! I loved it so much in Two Worlds 2 (PoTFF), and now I can use a boat in TW3! All my dreams are coming true!

I am going to heavily abuse emoticons...

What was that sign Geralt used that looked like it exploded.

Also I still don't know where Geralt places his stuff now that he doesn't have a pouch, maybe in those blanket things on his horse?

guipit said:

Also I still don't know where Geralt places his stuff now that he doesn't have a pouch, maybe in those blanket things on his horse?

Don't wanna sound like a jerk but it seemed like Ice, I was talking about ice bombs a while ago on the forums....funny co-incidence, I iz happy!

guipit said:

i think it might be a 360 aard shockwave

sidspyker said:
Don't wanna sound like a jerk but it seemed like Ice, I was talking about ice bombs a while ago on the forums....funny co-incidence, I iz happy!

It looks kinda like Quen but yeah it looked like ice as well. I hate elemental magic/weapons though so fuck that not using it.

Also I hope we can see Geralts scabbards attached to something not just putting a strap there and saying it's attached after they did such a good job in W2 with it.

The dynamic combat camera really caught my attention, it looks nice but im a little worried about how much precisely you can control it.

And the FOV, i love it when riding the horse but on foot its seems a little too close, hopefully this was a fxed camera to show the enviroment only.

Other than that the animations impressed me the most in the visual aspect. sailing looks super fun.

cmdrsilverbolt said:
@ Guipit: I think that might have to do with the signs being able to be used in two ways now.

Think you're right, the shockwave looks like the second way you can use Aard. Doesn't seem like ice or Quen to me.

pretty sure it's a 360 Aard sign. It all looks amazing. i'm cuirious how the camera control will be in game. all in all though i'm excited :)

Of course it was Aard, I think there is no doubt of it. It looks like Aard in finishing movie in The Witcher 2.

I'm so hyped for this! Especially since I recently started playing TW2 again but on my Xbox.
I probably gonna need a new pc upgrade though.. :/

1:14 of the trailer, Geralt turns his head to look directly at the wolf which is about to attack him, where previously he had been stoically observing the group as a whole. This could be one of the secret features hidden in the trailer that the devs hint at with their secret message.

To me, this seems like a good way to keep track of what a huge group of enemies are doing without making the alerts be flashing UI particles to hold your hand. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, think of the popular Arkham Asylum and City games, and how the combat prompts over an enemy warn you when an enemy is about to attack in a way beyond focusing on their change in posture. So rather than watching every enemy on the screen for their telegraphs or having to resort to huge, blinking UI elements that pull you out of the experience, you might instead let Geralt's instincts warn you by watching what he is watching, thus giving you a sense of where to turn, block, and riposte.

This is just a theory, it could have simply been that the single wolf that attacks was the only one actually programmed to do so, thus prompting Geralt to respond by facing it, but I like my theory a lot and I hope it is true.

Not exactly a gameplay feature, but...

when fighting the harpies, that transition from one enemy to the other is BEAUTIFUL!

Indeed, all of Geralt's animations in the trailer are - wouldn't know that I've seen better. Looks like they're making a huge leap forward in the animations department.

Absolutely! I've been playing Arena more lately and its really given me time to appreciate all the people and work put into animations. And wow! This next game is going to be even better! Hit it celebration band! Flying nekker things! Angry deer things! Weeeee!

Well, the trailer delivered big time, as I see all sorts of subtle adjustments to animations. Walking is faster and more fluid, horse riding and sailing are more impressive than I expected. My observations:

-we know nothing of FOV based on the brief combat snippets. The camera is kept low and up close, which I assume was done for the sake of the trailer. Some of it may be finishers at work. But ultimately if we have group combat, we need a camera that is high overhead.

-Geralt's change of stances. He looks downright nervous being surrounded by the wolves.

-the gameplay may be with a gamepad based on camera movement. And here we come across my #1 issue with console to PC ports - shitty camera controls. It was fine in TW1 and great in TW2. Very responsive. I just hope that remains the same.

-I see no target reticule. This can work in certain games, and is tied to combat difficulty and control schemes. In AA or AC, if I targeted the wrong dude, it didn't matter that much. You just go with the flow. In TW2, if you missed your target it could mean instant death. I'd rather have a target reticule than not, I think. As well as the hard combat.

-he did a barrel roll. I'm not worried...but he did perform one. :p

-the number of people and movement in that port city is staggering.

The 2 things I noticed:
1. I could see all of Geralt while walking (at 1:08) and not fighting, so could it be we finally get to zoom the camera in-out?
2. The sword play, unlike TW2, Geralt strikes the harpies with an upward swing.

I wonder if the in-game sailing is anything like real life. You know, having to pay attention to the wind and zig-zag et cetera as a result of that. I fear they’ll just opt for magical winds that are always in your back though (despite Assassins Creed III showing that sailing can be done “realistically” while still being fun) :/

cmdrsilverbolt said:
-signs can be used in two ways (as previously reported)
???

Demut said:
I wonder if the in-game sailing is anything like real life. You know, having to pay attention to the wind and zig-zagging as a result of that.
Igni for example, can be projectile and continuous burst of flames.

Top Bottom