New Game + Suggestion

+
A request for The Witcher 3's New Game + mode: why does this mode FORCE level scaling upon us? May I request that you make level scaling for enemies, quests, etc., totally optional for NG+ mode? My wish is to start NG+ mode with everything from my first playthrough and then play again feeling totally overpowered.

Isn't that the point of a NG+ mode? What's the point of starting this mode if every enemy and quest is going to be vastly stronger than me in the first place? I don't quite understand this and wish you would just make this an option for everyone. That way, everyone can enjoy the game the way they want.

I don't think NG+ is something that will change anytime soon. If it were subject to change that would have happened long time ago.

I'm no fan of upscaling in general, but NG+ with a super strong level 40+ Geralt and no upscaling sounds extremely boring. After all, leveling up has a huge impact and makes quests a lot easier.

That being said, I think that ng+ is still significantly easier than a new playthrough.

See, here's why options are good. Some of you would rather play NG+ with vastly upscaled enemies and quests, making NG+ seem almost pointless since enemies will be stronger than you anyway and your armor and swords from the first playthrough will be weak and useless--as if you're starting an entirely new game all over again.

Others of us would rather enjoy NG+ for what it really should be: the opportunity to experience the whole adventure again but being able to walk around without fear and fight with a distinct power advantage. Isn't that . . . kind of the point of a NG+ mode?

Anyway, options. Options are good. If you'd rather keep the upscaling, you can keep it on. No problem. I would turn that off and have a more fun time. Everyone's happy.

Last edited:
A request for The Witcher 3's New Game + mode: why does this mode FORCE level scaling upon us? May I request that you make level scaling for enemies, quests, etc., totally optional for NG+ mode? My wish is to start NG+ mode with everything from my first playthrough and then play again feeling totally overpowered.

Isn't that the point of a NG+ mode? What's the point of starting this mode if every enemy and quest is going to be vastly stronger than me in the first place? I don't quite understand this and wish you would just make this an option for everyone. That way, everyone can enjoy the game the way they want.
That's just how it works sometimes. See Dark Souls for more information. Personally, my grievance with New Game Plus is that you can only play the mode once.

I just wish there was an infinite new game + on consoles since there is no point in going after all the new legendary sets, creating a super biuld if I cant use on a new game plus.

+1 for unlimited NG+ games. Getting perfect gear at 100NG+ and then starting again to just mess around would be fun

+1 for unlimited NG+ games. Getting perfect gear at 100NG+ and then starting again to just mess around would be fun
I would imagine not. NG+ was only added due to overwhelming player request, but the fact remains that the game was not designed for that sort of thing. Originally, it was possible to level Geralt up indefinitely, but the sheer number of bugs and crazy imbalances that would result eventually led the team to cap leveling to 100. Even today, issues may still arise as Geralt begins to approach the highest levels, especially if Enemy Level Scaling is used in the options menu.

NG+++...etc. is very likely a nope. (Then again, I said the same thing about being able to transfer games from the Switch to PC...and that happened!)

I would imagine not. NG+ was only added due to overwhelming player request, but the fact remains that the game was not designed for that sort of thing. Originally, it was possible to level Geralt up indefinitely, but the sheer number of bugs and crazy imbalances that would result eventually led the team to cap leveling to 100. Even today, issues may still arise as Geralt begins to approach the highest levels, especially if Enemy Level Scaling is used in the options menu.

NG+++...etc. is very likely a nope. (Then again, I said the same thing about being able to transfer games from the Switch to PC...and that happened!)
I see your point, but the way I would see NG++ is that the level cap would still be 100, so the game should not break more than it already is. All it would give people is to start at max level with all gear at max level, and optionally to unlock all skills at the same time if enough NG+ games were replayed (34 skill points for places of power and some quests).

I am also putting of starting NG+ until (hopefully) crossbows are fixed and scale up to 100. If I could reuse my save again I would start NG+ right away as I would not be locked out of using that save for a new game.

I see your point, but the way I would see NG++ is that the level cap would still be 100, so the game should not break more than it already is. All it would give people is to start at max level with all gear at max level, and optionally to unlock all skills at the same time if enough NG+ games were replayed (34 skill points for places of power and some quests).

I am also putting of starting NG+ until (hopefully) crossbows are fixed and scale up to 100. If I could reuse my save again I would start NG+ right away as I would not be locked out of using that save for a new game.
Hm! That's an interesting take. I don't see any reason why something like that wouldn't be potentially possible. Interesting!

That's just how it works sometimes. See Dark Souls for more information. Personally, my grievance with New Game Plus is that you can only play the mode once.
See, I respectfully disagree. It doesn't have to work that way at all. It can be optional . . . the developers simply have to allow that as an option.

See Assassin's Creed: Origins, for example. You can start a NG+ at the highest level, with highest-level armor, weapons, and upgrades, while everything else (enemies, quests, etc.) are all set to their original levels and you can play on easy mode, dominating everything for fun and not having to worry about the grind of leveling up, upgrading, etc. I can just relax and enjoy my romp through the work. Upscaling and difficulty levels are all totally optional.

Same for Horizon: Zero Dawn and its sequel, Forbidden West.

That's how I'd like to see The Witcher 3. Everyone can choose the settings they prefer, everyone's happy.

This can be done.

See, I respectfully disagree. It doesn't have to work that way at all. It can be optional . . . the developers simply have to allow that as an option.

See Assassin's Creed: Origins, for example. You can start a NG+ at the highest level, with highest-level armor, weapons, and upgrades, while everything else (enemies, quests, etc.) are all set to their original levels and you can play on easy mode, dominating everything for fun and not having to worry about the grind of leveling up, upgrading, etc. I can just relax and enjoy my romp through the work. Upscaling and difficulty levels are all totally optional.

Same for Horizon: Zero Dawn and its sequel, Forbidden West.

That's how I'd like to see The Witcher 3. Everyone can choose the settings they prefer, everyone's happy.

This can be done.
I guess you're right about that. That being said, if there really is forced level scaling, there should at least be an increase in (E)XP and in the rarity of item drops. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case with the optional level scaling found in the game - or at least in your first playthrough. And for people who want to play New Game Plus on the hardest difficulty, they have to endure a 20% reduction in experience!

I guess you're right about that. That being said, if there really is forced level scaling, there should at least be an increase in (E)XP and in the rarity of item drops. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case with the optional level scaling found in the game - or at least in your first playthrough. And for people who want to play New Game Plus on the hardest difficulty, they have to endure a 20% reduction in experience!
Yeah, I hear ya. Point is, NG+ in The Witcher 3 is less than ideal. I wish it could be revised so that every player can tailor the experience to their needs, without forced added difficulty or forced enemy level scaling.

When I play NG+ in The Witcher 3, I feel like I'm just playing the regular New Game all over again. I have to level up, hunt for witcher gear all over again, etc. I shouldn't have to do that anymore in NG+.

Yeah, I hear ya. Point is, NG+ in The Witcher 3 is less than ideal. I wish it could be revised so that every player can tailor the experience to their needs, without forced added difficulty or forced enemy level scaling.

When I play NG+ in The Witcher 3, I feel like I'm just playing the regular New Game all over again. I have to level up, hunt for witcher gear all over again, etc. I shouldn't have to do that anymore in NG+.
But at the very least the new gear gets an upgrade. Like I said before, It's kinda like Dark Souls. Personally, I welcome the challenge. The only real penalty is a lengthy loading screen.

Hey! Have question about New Game ++. If im already at NG+ save, can i start another NG+ from that save? In previous version of the game it couldn't be done. Wihout mods ofcuz.

I literally can't find an answer to this question like nowhere.

Last edited:
Despite that post is from 2016, so I thought maybe something had changed, particularly in nextgen update. But, thank you, i guess...

Top Bottom