New Golds.

+
Nonetheless, the problem is now, that by now Roche became even useless in Arena. Assuming that the likeliness for getting a card in Arena is the same all cards, there is the chance that the enemy has at least 1 Ambush is still only a 55%, assuming he never decides against an ambush. That means he has to destroy at least an ambush with 25 power, to have an average value of 16 and therefore be worth to include. And that requires having a really strong silver spell that Morenn would counter or the enemy has buffed his ambushes like crazy, which isn't that easy in Arena either.

I honestly see no reason to include him in Arena anymore with this.

In a ranked game he will, he will only viable under the same conditions, which means that ST has a popularity of 55%, every ST player uses ambushes and he is able to generate 25 with his play. That isn't even a good tech card anymore.

And the only reason of existence for a card shouldn't be Umas Curse. In particular as Isengrim into an Ambush would still be stronger than the enemy following with Roche.

If you find the above suggestion to punishing against ambushes what about this version:
Roche: Mercyless (3):
Deploy: Lock an enemy and if it is Bronze or Silver set it to 3 strength.
Add a Blue Stripes Commando to your deck at the start of the game.

This way he would be strengthwise on par with Coral. On one hand, his targeted unit can be unlocked, or ressurected later, which makes him weaker on the other hand, he can lock Gold units and is boosted by BS-Scouts.

Since Roche was heavily nerfed (because gods forbid the overtuned Scoiatel have a hard counter), the same should be done to Moreen, because cancel an ability , while having 6 strenght, is faaaar too much.

Last edited:
Lisandre;n10536372 said:
Since Roche was heavily nerfed (because gods forbid the overtuned Scoiatel have a hard counter), the same should be done to Moreen, because cancel an ability , while having 6 strenght, is faaaar too much.

This used to be a silver card in Closed Beta. Anyhow, the card is risky to use because the opponent can choose not to play any spells, making it a zero point gold. And this is besides the fact that Morenn lacks any kind of tempo play. In the current state, she already won't see much play too begin with. As such, she shouldn't be nerfed. Incidentally, you cannot compare her to Roche. It's a completely different card with other meta implications.

FG15-ISH7EG;n10536352 said:
Nonetheless, the problem is now, that by now Roche became even useless in Arena. Assuming that the likeliness for getting a card in Arena is the same all cards, there is the chance that the enemy has at least 1 Ambush is still only a 55%, assuming he never decides against an ambush. That means he has to destroy at least an ambush with 25 power, to have an average value of 16 and therefore be worth to include. And that requires having a really strong silver spell that Morenn would counter or the enemy has buffed his ambushes like crazy, which isn't that easy in Arena either.

I honestly see no reason to include him in Arena anymore with this.

In a ranked game he will, he will only viable under the same conditions, which means that ST has a popularity of 55%, every ST player uses ambushes and he is able to generate 25 with his play. That isn't even a good tech card anymore.

And the only reason of existence for a card shouldn't be Umas Curse. In particular as Isengrim into an Ambush would still be stronger than the enemy following with Roche.

If you find the above suggestion to punishing against ambushes what about this version:
Roche: Mercyless (3):
Deploy: Lock an enemy and if it is Bronze or Silver set it to 3 strength.
Add a Blue Stripes Commando to your deck at the start of the game.

This way he would be strengthwise on par with Coral. On one hand, his targeted unit can be unlocked, or ressurected later, which makes him weaker on the other hand, he can lock Gold units and is boosted by BS-Scouts.

Well, to be fair I like your version a lot more since it wouldn't be a tech card anymore.

That's the problem with a card like Roche Merciless, while I have no real problem with the general concept of a tech card I think creating a tech against an archetype is really bad for the future of the game unless said game implements a sideboard, which isn't the case for Gwent.

It's always the tricky part when you try to do something new for your game, you obviously pick some ideas here and there but some of them aren't necessarily applying properly to your game. The same happened with cards creating units (like slave driver, Beast master or Elven scout for example) this concept exists in other games and is nowhere near broken but Gwent being all about points adding an extra value to another bronze is a big deal. That's the strenght of Gwent, this game is completely unique and very different to any other game of the same type but it can be quiet the headhache for their creators.

So, you're right, in his current form Roche will probably see no play in neither Limited or Constructed but at least he's safe for the future of Ambush cards and don't decide the fate of a game by himself.

That being said, I wanted to point out the respect CDPR shown to the players by changing his rule when they realized how toxic it could have been if he came out in the previous version. They did the same with Geralt Yrden (which was meant to be a 1O str Gold that resets every units and destroys every tokens on the board) and I think it's really good to have a team of developpers that are aware of players' opinions and take them into account even before releasing some new content.

Now about Roche, I think they just stopped the bleeding before it happened and will look into it later to maybe make him more viable. The card officially doesn't exist just yet so nobody will feel robbed for getting their beloved card nerfed, that was definitely the right move imo.
But we have to be realistic, they couldn't change him and rework his rule entierly considering the new cards will probably come out very soon. That's something I can understand.

Also, about Uma's curse, I'm agree with you, no card should be only existing because of that but the problem is, since Uma's curse can create any gold unit in the game, CDPR always have to keep it in mind if they don't want to make a bad move.
Even the most selective tech card can become a huge problem for the game in general because, even if nobody will technically had it to their deck, there is this little chance to pull it out of Uma's curse that can ruin the experience.

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n10536542 said:
When are we getting these scandalous golds then?
They didn't give any date for now but they should be available fairly soon.

Last edited:
Another thing is that they should tone down the amount of Gold cards added to the game, this title should have been "New Cards" not "New Golds", with this new additions, at least in the neutral pool, the number of golds is almost equal to the number of silvers.

I'm still waiting for a single gold card. . .
Best combo in the starter decks seems to be [h=1]Vrihedd Officer > Gerald; Francesca Findabair > Gerald > Officer again; Royal Decree > Gerald[/h]
So that's all I can play until I can cycle my golds out. . .
I didn't want to mill everything for one good deck, but it might be better than playing one bad deck for months

I thought Imlerith: sabbath would work great with mass drakkar.
Combined with Renew and strengthening
Trying it out at the moment, but loads of netdecks or just plain slow people in casual at the moment.
Very frustrating if you want to try something fun ><

Last edited:
After having played a couple of times against Imlerith:Sabbath I'm not that happy about that card.
If you don't manage to kill him, directly after he is played, and the enemy uses Mandrake, the round is lost. The only exception is, if you have Scorch or Ciri:Nova. Villen, Gigni and Olaf all won't help.

And either have removal or loose the round, doesn't sound so healthy.

FG15-ISH7EG;n10577712 said:
After having played a couple of times against Imlerith:Sabbath I'm not that happy about that card.
If you don't manage to kill him, directly after he is played, and the enemy uses Mandrake, the round is lost. The only exception is, if you have Scorch or Ciri:Nova. Villen, Gigni and Olaf all won't help.

This. Lost two games because of this combo.

He is powerfull indeed, but unbuffed he dies vs a power 10 unit.
And vs a power 9 unit he is left as a power 4 with 2 shield.
With the amount of removal in the game that probably makes him a 14 power swing most of the time.
Now i must say if you pull off having some drakkars out, then he becomes a whole lot more powerful.

I field him with

Whispess :tribute (for the mandrake)
Royal Decree (+2 power and better odds of fielding him) and Renew (play him early to win round 1 and play him to crush round 3)

On bronzes it is the standard 3 slyzards + 3 necker warriors engine.

If he beats the opponent he only heals for 2, so damaging him without killing him outright still can weaken him.

DRK3

Forum veteran
About Imlerith: Sabbath (you know, the ONLY good card of the new ones), i do agree it might be very powerful, but with this stupid meta where people just spam thunders and Viper WItchers on steroids to remove anything with continuous effect, i like to remind there is a thing in Gwent called...

Lock.

I had 3 people play Mr Sabbath on me on Arena. Locked him twice, the third one was smart to make me spend all my locks before using him on R3.

I made my post about him incidentially after a game, where I locked him and the enemy then consumed him with a Barbegazi and then Renewed him. I was so happy that it payed out to use locks in my deck just be even more frustrated afterwards.

And I agree that he won't stand a chance against all those removal decks, which is a bit ironical in itself. At the other hand, every deck that doesn't rely on direct removal will get even bigger problems.
Therefore, he is either nearly sure win or sure defeat, depending on the enemy deck. And that doesn't sound so healthy in my opinion.

Concerning locks: Assuming Imlerith killed a classical engine with 7 power and is locked directly afterwards, the powerplay would be the following:
-D-Shackles: +10 for Imlerith
-Margarita: +6 for Imlerith
-Morvudd: +3 for Imlerith
-Auckes: +5 for Imlerith (and additonal lock if there is a target)
-Donar an Hindar: +4 for Imlerith
-Ciaran: +3 for Imlerith (the movement probably won't have any effect as the engines for it were already killed)
-Radovid: +2 for Radovid (and additional crew effect and additonal lock if there is a target)
-Letho: -1 (with Regis and 12 point unit at the other side it would be: 8 -35=-27

To sum this up, D-Shackles are far from being worth it against Imlerith, and also half of the silver locks isn't really usefull. If we got a sensible lock rework this might be completly different.

Wild Hunt got a good card, KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! All jokes aside, what else has wild hunt got?

I haven't even crafted it yet and I love the wild hunt, I also know they aren't allowed to have nice things so it will be nerfed by the end of the week.

Last edited:
I’m looking at building a deck around Ihuarraquax

i already have ihuarraquax and Renew from opening barrels.

I would have to craft either Stefan skellen or aguara or both.

it would look something like this

Ihuarraraquax
renew
stefan skellen
aguara

silver
Joachim de wett
scorch,
canterella
not sure about the other 3, maybe silver alchemy cards?

Bronze
4 viper witchers
1 assassin
1 1 vicorio novice
10 alchemy bronze cards
mandrake
2 crows eye
mahakam ale
4 or 5 ointment
thunderbolt

It it would seem weak against northern realm decks that put up a huge number of cards that would score too many points for me to destroy. But overall, this could work, I think?

or should I use only one or the other of Stefan and aguara? With Jan Calveit, I would first boost the unicorn with Stefan and then bring it to the top of the deck and play it with Jan, when the other player has a good amount of high cards on the board and few low point cards, should I add some other cards? Or use different ones? I love Geralt igni.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom