New Golds.

+
New Golds.

So there are going to be some super-techy Golds in this release, except "poor" NG, who straight up get a 6-point Caretaker in Necro-Yen?

Also, Roche is pretty crazy against an ambush deck but a 5-point dead card otherwise? Or does it still get CA???

They were all pretty "eh" to me. I don't understand why they keep dropping new cards when 90% of the cards available have been rendered useless by the ultra-meta of the state of ranked right now.

Roche is too extreme tbh, might aswell say "if opponent plays an ambush card, win the game", else it's a 5 pt gold.

Iuliandrei;n10527982 said:
Roche is too extreme tbh, might aswell say "if opponent plays an ambush card, win the game", else it's a 5 pt gold.

Yeah that card is not a good idea. It's either amazing or terrible.

I really like Unicorn because of the combos you can pull. It's not necessarily strong, but fun nonetheless. Next, Cerys is going to be awesome sooner or later. Also, I do like the new Ambush unit, even though it's risky to use, at least it creates more of a threat the next time an ambush unit is played. Finally, Imlerith looks interesting when he survives at least one round, so you can boost him.

Only Dandelion drawing a card looks a bit too good, universally speaking.

Those golds are for arena mostly. No1 should play them in ranked. In casual maybe why not. So don't look at those cards as usefull or not. They will be good for sure in arena.

Kingoko;n10528392 said:
Those golds are for arena mostly. No1 should play them in ranked. In casual maybe why not. So don't look at those cards as usefull or not. They will be good for sure in arena.

Cards like the 6 strength Dandelion are super viable in ranked.
And because of Uma it makes sense to worry about a few of the other cards.

In all honesty, I find most of them to be... well, a bit meh tbh.

I think the Unicorn's ability needs clarification; if it's boosted in hand/deck to negate the damage it takes on deploy before it's played, does it just do 7 damage to 3 random units? Are they just enemy units or can it hit allies as well? Can you trigger it to re-deploy if you damage/heal it again? The card needs to define this specifically I think before its ability can be gauged.
Dandelion:Vainglory is just a max 18pt card (and why you'd ever run it with anything less than 1x each of the other cards I don't know; although I guess if you choose this card first and then don't get offered any of the others then it's just a 9pt brick, so why would you choose it first?) so... sure, why not?
Roche:Merciless is so situation specific that he's either potentially game winning amazing or potentially game losingly useless.
And they revived Morenn - well kinda sorta - similar ability, but rather than being able to affect everything she can only affect bronze and silver cards... seems a bit... meh. Art does look good tho ;)

The only card that looks interesting is the Imlerith:Sabbath one, but again his ability needs to be clarified, and also some amazing art on this one too.

I think the Unicorn's ability needs clarification; if it's boosted in hand/deck to negate the damage it takes on deploy before it's played, does it just do 7 damage to 3 random units? Are they just enemy units or can it hit allies as well? Can you trigger it to re-deploy if you damage/heal it again? The card needs to define this specifically I think before its ability can be gauged.

Yes. They are enemies. And yes (I think)but it needs to be EXACTLY the base power so it won't work if it goes beyond that. I think this would really only work with Aguara who boosts by exactly 5. Especially if ST remains so prevalent and she keeps being an elf charmer :p

Dandelion:Vainglory is just a max 18pt card

Unless you get offered more than one of the rest :)

Roche:Merciless is so situation specific that he's either potentially game winning amazing or potentially game losingly useless.

I agree and he shouldn't be. This is a direction in Gwent that I don't like. It's a card that is made specifically to counter an entire archetype. Sure this has happened before with Sweers but that's just due to people focusing on a very specific way of play (breeding nekkers to oblivion). Sweers is meh against everything else, including regular consume decks. On the other hand Roche is SPECIFICALLY designed to be an ambush killer. Even though no one will play it on Normal mode probably, it's still a bad card to have available, made even. And to a lesser extent, Geralt, though that one is less situational and less of a game breaker if it works.

I mean, if the devs want these cards to be for the arena mode then make them ONLY available there. They don't have to mess up the regular game.

I can very well imagine running onto people who run that one card and auto-forfeit or just lose every other match waiting for the opportunity to ruin your day. Or worse, spawning it via Uma's Curse.

The only card that looks interesting is the Imlerith:Sabbath one, but again his ability needs to be clarified, and also some amazing art on this one too.

Very vulnerable to removal. Since it heals by 2 and doesn't reset itself, you can only hope the opponent doesn't play something big enough to damage you. Even if he wins the first duel, hell even if he wins without getting damaged (for that to happen the opposing unit needs to be up to 8 Strength. Not so easy for the opponent's STRONGEST unit to be just 8.), he will just become STR 7 with 2 armor, perfect target for Alzur's Thunder. Even regular damage will hinder his ability to duel. Iorveth will bring him down to 1 STR and bye bye. Vanilla Roche too.

For me Cerys and Dandelion:poet (basically an upgraded gold Sile that works with everything) are the only good cards to include in standard play, with Morenn: Forest's Child being a decent option in some decks too.

Last edited:
The fact that these cards are designed for Arena mode really grinds my gears. Gold cards, especially, should be viable across all factions and / or game modes. The pool of gold Create cards will be a mess now.

I think some are forgetting that even the devs said most of these cards were intended with arena in mind, not for main play. I think they all have some really interesting concepts behind them! Might not work so well in ranked decks but they'll see play even if it's just arena. In arena, for instance, something like Roche won't be faction specific, because everyone has the chance of drawing ambush cards during deck making. Whether people will pick ambush or not remains to be seen, but I can see the value of it.

I think some are forgetting that even the devs said most of these cards were intended with arena in mind, not for main play. I think they all have some really interesting concepts behind them! Might not work so well in ranked decks but they'll see play even if it's just arena. In arena, for instance, something like Roche won't be faction specific, because everyone has the chance of drawing ambush cards during deck making. Whether people will pick ambush or not remains to be seen, but I can see the value of it.

The point is that this will STILL be a card also available in the other modes. People will still be able to pick it or far worse, create it via Uma's Curse. It's an extremely situational card that will only lead to the burial of an already dead archetype that used to be interesting, even if not so fun to play against.

Sure no one will include it in their options but dammit, designing a card to specifically do that to that extremity is nowhere near what Gwent should be in my opinion.

Roche needs some change. At least make him "destroy an ambush unit, then play a card and draw a card." Still very binary, maybe even too binary, but please no CA.

Oh dear.

We are at a point now where game design is entirely based around a mode that hasn't even been released. The constructed mode, the bread and butter of the game is left by the wayside, in a bad state purely to help a mode that could have been fine had the cards been left as they were, there is no way to ever know. As it hasn't even been released.

There has been no confirmation as to whether or not they are changing any cards in this upcoming patch - if they don't it will probably be at least April until they even begin to add actual mechanics back to the game - they will probably not be as good as the ones that were removed. More likely May, as it's usually every other patch that actually has things. Without Thronebreaker to tide things over there will be people leaving in droves.

The game cannot survive solely on Arena, which seems to be what CDPR and a lot of other people seem to be hoping. I for one have limited interest in Arena, I'll play it for a bit, but give me that or an actually balanced constructed I'd take the constructed.

The cards are barely worth going over. Roche is going to be insane when it fires. Yen is something that should not be in the game, we don't need more graveyard hate, especially on Nilfgaard. Dandelion: Poet will probably see loads of play just to cycle through your deck. The other Dandelion will see nothing. Geralt will see no play - its basically the same thing as Striga and doesn't even make sense for Arena mode. Triss should probably just target your own deck, you'll be building it around your deck more than anything else - basically, just play another card. I actually quite like the Morenn effect coming back. Cerys could be really good too, I'll experiment with that. Imlerith is engine hate unfortunately, but it's quite clever and I like it, though it's probably too weak. Ihuarra could be good too, it's hard to see how it will work but it may be worth playing with.

Once again it seems like of the 10 cards, maybe 2 have actual mechanics, the rest just screw around. Very poor show again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kingoko;n10528392 said:
Triss? Duplicate a special from either starting deck? Day one craft for my Slave Robbers deck
Morenn? preemptively cancel an opponents special, like spellatael needed more power? yup, crafting immediately
Poet? a 6 body that gives you another card and lets you play a card? it's Vilgefortz with better choices, no setup, but also no destruction. Worth it.

the rest are meh, and I can already see someone building an NG Vainglory power critters meme deck, even if he's only a 12 body max (they're all golds)

I love every single card they showed, both the arts - which are especially awesome this time - and the abilities. I like the idea of having "lore" cards that are situational but extremely powerful. Going to be awesome for Arena.

Yennefer and Geralt are going to be day one premium crafts for me.

I would try new Imlerith at the beginning of a long third round. If he survives the first duel, I could boost it with Parasite, then pass and watch the show...until my opponent plays Scorch or lock units.

Not a fan of any of them honestly most of all Triss create. Just like summoning circle and the other create cards it gives people access to tools that they weren't smart enought to run themselves and adds more removal to the game. Roche is another CA card which ensures nobody will ever play an ambush unit again including Morenn, for fear of auto losing CA. Not much to say about the rest, it's all been said before on reddit or here. No point in beating a dead horse when nobody is listening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom