New info on Homecoming from Burza [RIP Gwent]

+
New info on Homecoming from Burza [RIP Gwent]

So... There's new fresh info about HC and unfortunately for me, the news are generally not good.

Here's a few bullet points gathered from KBT video and reddit.

a) 2 rows is pretty much confirmed and settled.

b) coin flip fixes based on previously mentioned "initiative" leaders

c) no new modes

d) leaders with multiple and passive abilities and card abilities that can be used several times during a round [or a match?]

e) new visuals referring back to the witcher universe

f) deckbuilding requirements, namely a point limit instead of a X gold cards, X silvers.

g) removal of spies

h) fixing card advantage by limiting the card hand size at each round.

added by FG15-ISH7EG

i) the new faction has been finished some time ago already, but it is not confirmed yet if we will get it directly with homecoming or afterwards

j) items will now work completly differently (attaching them to other cards or something like that)

k) we will get weekly news after E3

l) Thronebreaker has already been adjusted to 2 rows

m) concerning the rowlimit, it might be possible to stack weaker cards at 1 spot

There might be smaller things i've overlooked but its pretty much this. Feel free to post them and i'll update (or correct) the topic as more info comes along.

For me the biggest let down is a), the 2 row system. This will be solely the reason why I'm pretty sure I'll quit. Its ridiculous that they'll force this on the game with the overwhelming negative response of the community.

They call it Homecoming, but they've got to be kidding. The ammount and magnitude of the changes being talked here will push Gwent to become a WHOLE different game than it currently is, and light years away from what Gwent was in W3. It will be in fact going back to square one.

I'm mostly fine with the remaining changes as i think they can be worked around, depending on the impact they'll have in the gameplay. But overall i'm not happy with this. Specially when it comes after a 5 month stale period. I'm afraid CDPR will sunk Gwent into oblivion.

Last edited:
so
a)so much for the "battlefield" feel of the board,with melee ranged and siege lines of a battlefield
b)i dont understand that,could you elaborate?
c)i hope this is just for now
d)kinda interesting,its nice to see passives make a return,they will probably still be though highly exploitable
e)Finally!
f)NO,NO,NO,No,no,no,no,no,no,no
g)so if at some point you fall two cards behind you basically lose the game,pretty much make the coinflip an even bigger problem(with its current iteration)
h)so ....................... heartstone?

each and every day we stray further away from the original gwent....................(unfortunately)

Some other things mentioned in the video:
i) the new faction has been finished some time ago already, but it is not confirmed yet if we will get it directly with homecoming or afterwards

j) items will now work completly differently (attaching them to other cards or something like that)

k) we will get weekly news after E3

l) Thronebreaker has already been adjusted to 2 rows

m)concerning the rowlimit, it might be possible to stack weaker cards at 1 spot

pl91;n10958342 said:
a)so much for the "battlefield" feel of the board,with melee ranged and siege lines of a battlefield
While it is really controversial in other points, the removal of the siege row is at least a clear improvement to the battlefield feeling. There was nothing weirder than having a Siege Tower or a Battering Ram on the Siege row. The number of cards belonging on the siege row is already extremly low and the fraction of those belonging on a battlefield is even lower.

a) I already expected that but I will wait with my opinion, till we get concrete information
b) could be an improvement, but not sure yet
d) I really hoped for that. That allows faction passives to be partially readded.
f) While that sounds good in theory I'm not sure how it will work out. In particullary for decks with more than 25 bronze cards. Can those decks include less golds in the future?
g) No surprise and probably for the better
h) I doubt it will have such a big impact at all
i) I didn't expect that the new faction will come this soon
j) that was the way I expected items to work from the start. A really good change
m) sounds interesting but also really complicated

To sum it up, apart from the 2 rows the rest is all good news to me.

Last edited:
Welp. This is the end boys. CDPR wanted to learn the hard way.

I for one won't be forgetting this fuckery for a while.

It's almost as if they used the term 'Homecoming' as a suggestion that the game would return back to it's roots - You know; going home? Back to when it was actually successful and maintained an interested core community.
But as always they simply ignore the outcome of every historical event that destroyed that community in search of another community which they also immediately destroyed, and then decided to shoot Gwent in the head.

Good job, thanks for listening to the people that pay for the game.

Shadow-Stalker;n10958399 said:
Welp. This is the end boys. CDPR wanted to learn the hard way.

I for one won't be forgetting this fuckery for a while.

It's almost as if they used the term 'Homecoming' as a suggestion that the game would return back to it's roots - You know; going home? Back to when it was actually successful and maintained an interested core community.
But as always they simply ignore the outcome of every historical event that destroyed that community in search of another community which they also immediately destroyed, and then decided to shoot Gwent in the head.

Good job, thanks for listening to the people that pay for the game.

Which part of development did you want to go back to?

I will say that it is really strange how we tested the game for so long and now it's morphing into a whole new game. Kind of funny when you think about it haha.

ser2440;n10958345 said:
2 rows. Why...just WHY? NO ONE liked that. Not a single soul! Why implement 2 rows anyway?
I like the idea. Most of the matches units a not played on all 3 rows anyway.

StrykerxS77x;n10958405 said:
Which part of development did you want to go back to?

Personally, I've made it fully clear of my attachment to Gwent before weather was changed. Because that is when the downward spiral started.
With the knowledge and introduction of a few decent cards that we have now and the fact that the current weather might as well be a different set of cards called attrition. The game would be in a substantially more diverse and balanced state than it ever was, it's just a different form of balance that retains what made Gwent interesting to the community.

The way the game is going now it wouldn't surprise me if they changed their minds and forced premade deck lists for each faction in their search for balance.

I was positively surprised by what they are testing now. Those changes will actually make Gwent more interesting. Would be even greater if they didn't remove 2 rows and didn't remove CA abilities from spies, instead changed them somehow to still give CA, only in a more fair way.
Nice to see that additional game modes are not prioritized before the main game.

But removing 2 rows, even after these news is still a twisting thorn in my side, and will probably always be there, even after the game is released. I just can't..

People that say that 6 rows always felt too many have no idea what they are talking about. And how can't people realize that 6 rows Gwent has never even reached 10% of its potential. Devs just didn't bother to expand and make rows meaningful, that's the only reason it has never been good - the potential will always be a lot greater than with 4 rows.

Last edited:
FG15-ISH7EG;n10958384 said:
Some other things mentioned in the video:
-the new faction has been finished some time ago already, but it is not confirmed yet if we will get it directly with homecoming or afterwards
-items will now work completly differently (attaching them to other cards or something like that)
-we will get weekly news after E3
-Thronebreaker has already been adjusted to 2 rows
-concerning the rowlimit, it might be possible to stack weaker cards at 1 spot

While it is really controversial in other points, the removal of the siege row is at least a clear improvement to the battlefield feeling. There was nothing weirder than having a Siege Tower or a Battering Ram on the Siege row. The number of cards belonging on the siege row is already extremly low and the fraction of those belonging on a battlefield is even lower.

Αctually from what I read, the finished faction was complete but now it will NOT release with Thronebreaker, since they are adjusting for homecoming. According to reddit, in the OP, on Homecoming Launch there will still be 5 factions

I dont use spies but i dont want them removed, just boosted to 20 so if oponent abuse them on red coin he should play at least 2cards.

Pruny;n10958471 said:
I dont use spies but i dont want them removed, just boosted to 20 so if oponent abuse them on red coin he should play at least 2cards.

I agree, I think there should definitely be a greater downside to such a potent tool. But not quite 20 points.

I'd say make them 14-15 and remove the ability to play them from the deck.

Spies were indeed a integral strategic mechanic in the game. They just needed to be balanced and fixed abuse mechanics such as brover.

Other than that, they were fine. But if they intend to remove card advantage altogether, then i guess spy cards are a collateral that needs to be removed.

No no, CA as a win condition should stay in the game. But current spies are way too easy to abuse. There are good ideas to make them fair.
An idea is to add uninteractable points straight to the score (raise from 13 to ~16) (should become a special card as well, harder to pull, and no abuse while in hand).
Another idea is to have Olgierd's old ability to spies, to come back from graveyard at the start of next round with half power. Let's say they will now be 14 and come back as 7 (sets to 7 when entering graveyard). Probably "Immune" as well (unlockable).
This will make spies only playable in decks that really value CA, and can somehow capitalize on it, probably in the third round.

Last edited:
Top Bottom