New interview with CDPR about CP2077 on Rock, Paper, Shotgun

+
Next interview is going to be with Mike Pondsmith himself, looking forward to that!

(after a long winded, red in the face, standing on soapbox edition rant about RPS)

The part I love the most about that interview is Mateusz Kanik nearly constantly telling the interviewer to think for himself about the trailer and game.

And I agree with one of the posters on that page that RPS should get someone that knows Cyberpunk 2020 to interview Mike. But I know they'll get another jobber that'll spew nonsensical questions at Mike while trying to stir a pot o' controversy to get page hits for their site.

And Favorite question/response is the question where the interviewer basically rags on Night City for looking like a standard cyberpunk city with just that 1 street being shown and Mat stating simply that of course it looks standard, CP2077 is based on one of the works that made that look standard in the first place.

The part I love the most about that interview is Mateusz Kanik nearly constantly telling the interviewer to think for himself about the trailer and game.

Yeah, I liked it too, he played it cool. No need to defend yourself if you feel you've done what you aimed for ;)

I like this quote,

"if we said, yes, that was our intention, we would make it too shallow.... Your thoughts and interpretations are your own, but we pose questions and won’t give you an answer."

That's an artist talking, And if the game does this, in effect poses questions that you must answer for yourself, I will play it till the bits wear out.

Nathan was fishing for hits because he pointed to an obvious aspect of the trailer's imagery? His feelings on the subject are well documented but it was still a perfectly reasonable question. It might not be a popular subject here but it did raise eyebrows. Nathan was only giving him an opportunity to explain how it might be interpreted otherwise.

Mateusz Kanik also misinterpreted his question about even-handedness by getting defensive which is a pity.

No, I don't think so. It was a kind of non-conversation that way; Nathan was trying to pin Mateusz down to holding certain views that Mateusz plainly said are not any kind views expressed by the game but rather one that players may read into the game for themselves, and making the common mistake of thinking that the trailer represents the whole of the image of the game.

Mateusz was right to refuse to offer any interpretation, both because he clearly stated the vision of the game is not to impose interpretations other than those the player creates for himself, and because any interpretation he offered would end up treated as either some kind of political statement or some kind of massive spoiler.

Nathan may as well have asked what Mona Lisa was smiling about. Because he'll get no more answer than he got, nor will anybody else.

"...even a dead animal preserves more powers of intuition than some human beings with their stubborn rationality.... Imagination, inspiration, and longing all lead people to sense that these other levels also play a part in understanding." (Joseph Beuys, noted performance artist and art instructor, discussing "How to Explain Pictures to a Dead Hare")

There's a reason why there have been legendary interviewers out there. It's a skill. Just because you have a job doing it, doesn't mean you know the first thing about how to do it.

Today, everyone can be an interviewer. Today, there are no legends anymore.

His evasiveness about story bits might stem from them not having much of it written yet, just a thought. It almost seems coy, but then that's why we're still debating stuff in both Witcher games. So far their writers have pulled it off. I do find it odd they still haven't confirmed either gender as playable. You'd think that would be decided early on so artists and writers could set about creating content for both genders. I do hope I can play as a cyber lady. :rolleyes: The best part of the interview though is how he described the city, especially the various districts. Just what I wanted to hear.

edit - I also wanted to say that the guys at CDPR better get used to fielding questions about sex and gender because it's not going away. I consider the frequency those topics pop up like growing pains as the game industry matures and continues to grapple with adult issues. I thought he did a pretty good job of it, but the writers are the ones who can go into more depth about such topics.

(Google Translator)

We live in the time of the collapse of civilization. Decadence. People in the West do not have real problems, and deal with the bullshit discussions about imaginary, non-existent problems. Is there a chance that they no longer ding on their mental health problems, at every opportunity?

The future of cyberpunk will not happen, because we will die earlier, eaten by leftist stupidity.

My criticism refers to the interview and once again the question raised about the undressed woman ...

H I do find it odd they still haven't confirmed either gender as playable. You'd think that would be decided early on so artists and writers could set about creating for both genders. I do hope I can play as a cyber lady

This quote gives some hope for that: We really want to tell a story of someone from the street, raised in the gutter, who will than stand up against the system he (or she) lives in

But since it's in parenthesis, one might assume the interviewer put that in. Which is kind of comical if you think about it.

edit - Lol, tell us how you really feel nocny. Yeah I know it's annoying but you better get used to it.

But since it's in parenthesis, one might assume the interviewer put that in. Which is kind of comical if you think about it.

I think it would be properly marked if it was the interviewer who added this. Oh well, I guess we've got a long wait ahead of us before substantial details show up ;)

No, I don't think so. It was a kind of non-conversation that way; Nathan was trying to pin Mateusz down to holding certain views that Mateusz plainly said are not any kind views expressed by the game but rather one that players may read into the game for themselves, and making the common mistake of thinking that the trailer represents the whole of the image of the game.

I don't see where Nathan assumes this represents the game as a whole. I do see the bit where he asks, since the trailer is arguably the first public presentation of the setting and game, if it's fair to say both genders will be represented more equally in the final product. A question Mateusz misunderstands and then dodges.

Nathan is my least favorite RPS writer. I don't like his writing style in news and features, it tends to towards flowery. Whereas his interviews read as straight Q&As rather than as a dynamic conversation. To be fair to the guy though, he didn't have a lot to work with this time. Mateusz pretty much evaded every question he was asked. I get that they don't have a lot to talk about yet but you have to wonder what the point was in giving an interview at all in that case. It came off as a bit awkward.

Really good writers are few and far between, to be sure, but it's also the job of the interviewee to know how to answer. Anyone saying they're just devs or, it's not their job is missing the point. The reason devs give interviews is free advertising, not a favor they do for the website. They need to understand how to answer questions and market their game. Just look at any interview given by Kevin Levine for an example of an expert.

Bad show for RPS. Long-winded questions, focusing on the interviewer's own theories and perceptions, sucking the air out of what could have been a much more interesting interview.

Hopefully the talk with Mike Pondsmith will be better.

The future of cyberpunk will not happen, because we will die earlier, eaten by leftist stupidity

When you're interviewed by idiots, the end result will be idiotic.

Top Bottom