New Lore from Season of Storms [spoiler free]

+
Hopefully with all these translations out soon, the English translation will be completed faster? (One can dream, right?) Otherwise I have to dust off my German like @senteria and read the German translation. Which probably results in me staring at the first page of the book, completely lost and have no idea what's happening.

Hopefully with all these translations out soon, the English translation will be completed faster? (One can dream, right?) Otherwise I have to dust off my German like @senteria and read the German translation. Which probably results in me staring at the first page of the book, completely lost and have no idea what's happening.

Still waiting on the 4th book to be translated to Dutch... =P

Well the medallions were made by the wizards/sorceresses who aided in the trail (right?). And these medallions are things that some sorceresses or wizards in the current time line of The Witcher can also make. So either the 'failed experiments' were given a cat medallion when they left the other schools or all the failed witchers came together to form a group/school of outcasts and made the cat symbol theirs. So they can be recognized by other witchers for what they are.

And I believe because of the experiments with the herbs and mutagens a subject usually lives or dies, so it wouldn't be that strange if the living subjects still experienced some of the effects of the trail.
I imagine the medallion as medals now: wolf=gold=passed, griffin=silver=well..., cat=bronce=failed :D

Still waiting on the 4th book to be translated to Dutch... =P

I'd rather read the English translations instead of the Dutch ones. When something is translated to Dutch it loses a lot of meaning imho, but then again that can be said for most translations. But in the Dutch language I have a hard time finding the world of the witcher as interesting, it's a bit to 'clean'.

@Luxorek Awesome, thanks for the info! New Witcher lore is always a good thing. I really want to read SoS now, too bad the english translation is probably years away. It's likely a fan translation will be out before that, though

The Witcher sword used to fight monsters isn’t made of silver [it’s too soft]. It’s core and edge are made of steel, it’s coated in silver and covered in magical runes. Geralt’s sword has one such magical inscription – Dubhenn haern am glandeal, morc’h am fhean aiensin, which means ‘My glitter shall pierce the night, my light shall scatter the darkness’.

Must admit, when I first saw this I wondered if the new detail was inspired by this forums discussions, as the effectiveness of a Silver Sword has been debated many times. Does he go into any more detail, like whether it degrades and needs repairs, or perhaps thats the very purpose of some of the runes, as an enamel, or lacquer, magical hardening agent. I'm still of the opinion the silver would flake off, but then I've never actually whacked anything with something silver coated... just curious.

In my own interpretation i've always thought of it as a kind of sympathetic magic... Silver - Moonlight - Creatures of the Night - perhaps even a "By the Power of Melitele" kind of thing ;)

BTW: inscription (in Polish original) is "Dubhenn haern am glândeal, morc’h am fhean aiesin", not "Dubhenn haern am glandeal, morc’h am fhean aiensin".

I really hope we get an english translation as well but I'm not holding my breath. As far as I know we still have no word if we will get an official release for tower of swallows, lady of the lake and sword of destiny yet either.

God, I would like to see...
...vixen in Witcher 3!
Just finished re-reading that part of the book...Fantastic!

1) Must admit, when I first saw this I wondered if the new detail was inspired by this forums discussions, as the effectiveness of a Silver Sword has been debated many times. 2) Does he go into any more detail, like whether it degrades and needs repairs...

1) I doubt Sapkowski spends his time browsing our forums :lol:. I imagine some fans of the books raised that question many years before we did. He wrote SoS 15 years after his last Witcher novel, I guess he felt obliged to answer.
2) No, he doesn't unfortunately.

Hadn't anyone say anything about absolutely wonder king Belohun of Kerack? :p

Hadn't anyone say anything about absolutely wonder king Belohun of Kerack? :p
Yup, he indeed looks like a king of some pointless kingdom :)
BTW, does polish members of forum knows something I don't? Sapkowski's future plans concerning Witcher world, I mean ;)

Last edited:

• Vodyanoi – couldn’t be more different than the ones from TW1. In SoS it’s described as a river monster – huge flat head covered with algae, big mouth full of sharp teeth, fish eyes. Large enough to challenge a Sloop [it’s a ship].

It's worth noting that the Vodyanoi in the game are based directly on the unnamed humanoid fish-creatures Geralt fights in the short story "A Little Sacrifice" in Sword Of Destiny. CDPR just picked a name that Sapkowski later used for something else.

I still can't believe Serbia got one of the first translations, hell it seems it may be even the first one outside of Poland, how the hell does Sapkwoski and the publisher think of making any money with not translating the books to English and other major European languages? There's money to be grabbed there. I'm willing to bet no more than 100ish people are gonna buy this book in whole ex-Yugoslavia not just Serbia.

Anyway, for the first read I liked the book but, there is just way to much happening in it to be kind of discarded or barely referenced in the later novels. It just feels way to big and not to mention that Sapkwoski really can't decide anymore on the limits of Sorcerrers.
In this none of them even attempts to read people's minds, and there is a lot of situations where it would have helped them. However it seems they can create or do pretty much anything now(with magic-genetics), some of them even foretell future. The only obstacle apparently is they themselves in conflicts. I guess that really irks me.

Also the mention of Cat witchers has kind of brought more confusion than any really lore depth, without the mention of them the book would have been just fine, this way it's seems unnecessary in this state.

P.S.
Geralt uses his Signs in this novel probably more than in all of the future ones combined...

EDIT:
Also at one point it felt like Sapkowski was cashing in on the whole Geralt's unusual friendship with a vampire thing, in a way...

Last edited:
P.S.
Geralt uses his Signs in this novel probably more than in all of the future ones combined...

You could probably count the amount of times he uses potions, a silver sword, and signs in the future ones combined, on less than two hands :p

Anway, hopefully this book gets an English translation (crossing fingers for the next 50 years).

Top Bottom