New mechanic to replace locks

+
What do you people think about a mechanic to replace locks? Something like "Stun" which would shut down a unit for a specified number of turns. That way a 4 prov unit could only stun a 10 or 11 provision unit for 2 or 3 turns. Higher provision (6 or 7) locking units could stun for the entire round still.

No thanks. Lock is not too strong as it is, and I don't see any reason to change it -- especially replace with something significantly more complicated.

Lock is a slow play, plus Purify exists and is cheap.
It's a simple mechanic and in my opinion should stay that way.

That's an interesting idea. I always found it cheap that a 4 or 5 provision unit can stop my 10+ provision cards. And considering NG can have a minimum of 4 cheap provision locks (Van Moorlehem Hunter and Alba Armored Cavalry) purify isn't really an option.
This way a 4 provision card can only stop my high card for 1 or 2 turns and that's already plenty considering we get 10 turns per round at most.
The real locks can be given to the higher provision units so that it would be more fair.

Purify exists and is cheap.
This is nit-picking, but I would not describe purify as cheap. Most purify cards are low provision, but they still require playing a card that otherwise usually generates less than 5 points of value. The cost in terms of value per turn is very high. Moreover, obtaining a significant amount of purify generally requires breaking devotion.

I will say the same is true of locks, but having an actual use for purify is far more conditional.

I think its a fair mechanic. Most of the times locks are going to similar provision cards and in the cases they go for a higher one the player who has the lock "sacrificed" a probably better card in anticipation of a higher provision one.

Guest 4375874

it's one or the other. They either need to balance those cheap lock, removals and poison units or change the leader ability. It's ridiculous to have both the cheapest control and removal plus locking down leader abilities. I have very little confidence they'll do the former since they supposedly added veil as a half a$$ed solution to poison and locks so I doubt anything will change. Judging by how scarce the player base appear to be right now they should probably do something soon.

The issue with the control meta is there are almost no units with order ability played in ranked, unless you use another card as set up. I know locks aren't the sole reason for this, but so many interesting order cards are just being wasted.

Top Bottom