New Northern Realm Player

+
New Northern Realm Player

Trying out Gwent on both my PS4 and PC actually. Think I may slightly like my PC version.

Began playing last night, and ran the tutorial tinkered with two kegs that I got from it and tried facing the computer.

Obviously I get crushed repeatedly. I may win one round, lose the war. Just looking for gen tips. I've tried the socia'tael, monsters, and nilf decks, but I keep gravitating to NR. Trying to get good at one before bopping all over.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Important cards to get with NR: John Natalis (gold) and Reinforcement (silver). Those basically work in any deck. As for which deck to pursue, there are a lot of different variations. One such example is the following with Henselt as leader:

- The idea is to play Siege Support and then Henselt to get 3 on the board. Poor Flanking Infantry works really well because they get +3 for each Siege Support.

- Instead of Field Medic you can also use a Siege Master (if you have that card).

- Instead of Battering Ram you can also use Reinforce Ballista.

- Dijkstra should be used as late as possible to reduce the randomness of the card.

- Crafting order for Golds is: John Natalis > Shani > Dijkstra (Use Royal Decree and Geralt until then)

- Crafting order for Silvers is: Prince Stennis > Dethmold > Nenneke.

For Foltest it's good to have cards that play other cards from your deck. Foltest gives +1 to all of your units, so you want to use that ability as much as possible.

For example use...

3x Blue Stripes Scout
3x Blue Stripes Commando

And

3x Temerian Infantry in such a deck.

If you play these cards you need to make sure that you play Blue Stripes commandos first. They will summon Blue stripes Scout from your deck and buff all Temerian units +1. That's why you also need to avoid having any Blue Stripes Scout in your hand.

After playing Foltest and 3 Blue Stripes Commandos, each Temerian Infantrymen unit will be 7 strength. That's 21 in total because if you play one of these cards the other two Infantrymen from your deck will be played as well.

Cards like Reaver scouts can help to make sure you get enough Blue Stripes Commandos. Silver cards like Ves can help to fix a bad draw. Bronze Ban Ard tutor is useful too (but for that card you need to have a bronze spell or alchemy card in your deck, to replace a card you don't want with it).

Against the computer it's good to use weather! NR Aretuza Adepts for example are good for that - they play frost or any other weather bronze card from your deck. However that also means that you have to add enough bronze weather cards to your deck and that you need to make sure you don't draw these weather cards (otherwise Aretuza A. might not be able to summon a card like that) - which is possible but can be tricky if you play with BS Commandos, Scouts and Infantrymen as well. If you still lack bronze cards playing weather might help.

Also with Gwent it's sometimes better to lose a round if you have more cards than your opponent in the next one. Card advantage against the AI is pretty helpful!

You can also post your deck here and we can give feedback.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm focusing on my PC copy, so is it easier to post a deck?

I guess what crushes me most with NR is the PC always uses the trebuchet that damages my cards a LOT!

I use my NR deck against his and that's how I get my clock cleaned.

Oddly enough I'm doing slightly better against other players over the darn computer

Bookworm1987;n9670021 said:
Thanks! I'm focusing on my PC copy, so is it easier to post a deck?

It's easier for us if you post the deck you are playing with.

You can definitely win all challenges with a rookie deck but it helps to add weather to your deck and craft a spy for card advantage (for NR that would be Thaler). And keep in mind: the computer will pass if he leads by ~18 points or more in round 1. If you can't play anything to close that gap enough, you better pass, otherwise you risk being behind too many cards.

How do I post my deck please? :)

I can't mill cards or anything until I'm lv. 3 I just hit Lv. 2 :(

The computer keeps beating the crap outta be with reinforced trebuchets, and I only have regular ones.

In higher rank no one even uses Trebuchet. Since there's lot's of other cards that would do a lot better than the trebuchet.

And before you start crafting your deck you need to know what deck you want to play.

RIght now there are some options :

1. Foltest swarm with huge deck ( 37 - 40 cards )

2. Swim's Radovid hybrid deck ( machine + muster + armor )

3. Radovid armor deck.

4. Henselt tempo deck.

Now I suggest getting the Foltest Swarm deck since it's really easy to play and the decision making is kinda low but has very high chance of getting the mulligan nightmare. And since the deck centers around it's huge power + huge tempo bronze cards crafting the deck is really easy ( sometimes I win a game without even playing any my gold cards ).

And here's the deck that i use for the Foltest 40 card swarm deck : https://imgur.com/gallery/4BGPt

As you can see pretty much all of the card in the deck is either thinning or tempo play so if you need a replacement ask this first. Does the replacement card has some kind of thinning / tempo ? If yes then you could put it in the deck and also I think this deck isn't perfect yet so feel free to edit it.

Btw this is the deck that carries me to the 4300 MMR bracket , so yeah this deck could be a secretly good competitive deck.

Bookworm1987;n9670321 said:
How do I post my deck please? :)

Make a screenshot from your deck in the deck builder and upload it here (for example there's a camera symbol which allows you to share pictures).

Also you could use gwentdb.com to post your deck there. Then we can all see it if you give us the link.

Or you just tell us what cards you are currently using.

ooooo nice. I'll have to check out the site and then look for my camera option.

I have heard about the swarm deck, I just had no idea how to use it. The PC appears to be very good good at starting out with combos which I barely have any idea how to make use of them

The idea of the swarm deck in the first round is to thin out your deck pretty heavily. By playing all of your blue stripes scout and the blue stripes commando. And you want to win first round so use all of the stuff that you has at your disposal to win the first round but try as hard as you can to not play your round 3 finisher ( Temerian Infantrymen and The Witcher Trio ).

And on the second round it's based on what your opponent is playing. If he is playing a control deck then try to bleed him pretty heavily. And if he is playing a round 3 finisher deck then just drypass since you could get a lot of power in a long round with the Siege Support , Witch hunter reset ,and Aretuze Adept Frost.

But basically swarm deck just wants to win round 1 while thinning the deck and do something at round 2 based on what the opponent is playing and win round 3 with a powerful finisher / a long attrition round.

And I'm shit at explaining so yeah you need to try the deck since there's not much to explain about how the deck works because the deck was so simple.

I'll have to try that. Had no clue about the blue stripes commando/infantry combo thing either. Did I miss something in the description? I'd love to get a reinforced trebuchet card or two, because they're annoying and sap at my deck something awful. The PC is really good at doing the damaging combos

Well pretty sure you are talking about the blue stripes scout since these guys pulls outs the Commando out of your deck pretty efficiently.

and if you want to include one of these card : Blue stripes scout / Blue Stripes Commando / Temerian Infantrymen then you must put all of these cards into your deck since they came in a package and one of the best tempo play in the game.

And most of the time the Infantry comes as a finisher later in the game because having a 21 power bronze card is very valuable

esra01;n9676721 said:
Well pretty sure you are talking about the blue stripes scout since these guys pulls outs the Commando out of your deck pretty efficiently.

and if you want to include one of these card : Blue stripes scout / Blue Stripes Commando / Temerian Infantrymen then you must put all of these cards into your deck since they came in a package and one of the best tempo play in the game.

And most of the time the Infantry comes as a finisher later in the game because having a 21 power bronze card is very valuable

the cards must match right? A blue stripes commando can't go with...I think I had a redanian infantry card once.

I see the PC will buff their units, espeically in the opening play. A 10 card will suddenly become a 15 or a 20 and I'm immediately smacked by a hard hitting combo.

I am reading the tool tips IE use weather or lock down asap :)

huge thanks so far for all the awesome advice :) I got 3 lv. 1 challenges done so far. Just got the Soc/Nilf left

Well Blue Stripes commando could only go with units with Temeria Tag with the same power

So Foltest could even activate the commando if the Commando was at 5 strength. And lock these days are pretty shitty. Never saw someone using a lock effect in this month except when they are playing Radovid.

I mus totally msfire with it. I usally slap it on a card that does damage per turn or something. Found out I could have put it on a werewolf card possibly maybe?

Top Bottom