New player needs help

+
New player needs help

Hello everyone! I'm new here, I just got the key about a week ago and I started playing mostly ST and Monster decks as these seem to work best for me with the cards I got. Now I have 975 scraps and I wonder what to do with them. What would be the best cards to craft at the beginning assuming that I don't know which faction I'll end up playing and I want to keep my options open? Any help/advice would be most appreciated. Also, is there a place I could upload my card database to, so that people could maybe advise me what deck(s) I can build with least scrap required?

D0om;n7806160 said:
Also, is there a place I could upload my card database to, so that people could maybe advise me what deck(s) I can build with least scrap required?
Try gwentdb.com

Can't really help with those decks, though. Especially after I milled every faction except for one just a while ago after reaching level 3 :p
You should try looking at the 200 scraps silver and even gold cards if you haven't already.

Last edited:
What type of deck do you actually want to play? In general a decent weather monster deck seems relatively cheap to craft while a ST deck of comparable strength will probably cost a lot more scraps. Also depends on the cards you already have.

I'll just list the legendaries, epics, and rares I have and hopefully people can help out.

Legendaries:
Roach
Caretaker
Xarthisius

Epics:
Prize-winning cow
Sigrdrifa
Olgierd
Sile de Tansarville
Peter Saar Gwynleve
Jutta an Dimun
Caranthir
Geralt: Aard

Rares:
Stammelford's Tremors
Dimeritium Bomb
Commander's Horn
Scorch
3 x Swollow Potion
Thunderbolt Potion
Dimeritium Shackles
Reinforcement
2 x Promote
2 x Field Medic
3 x Hawker Healer
3 x Wild Hunt Rider
2 x Blue Stripes Scout
Blue Mountain Commando
Mangonel
3 x Dun Banner Heavy Cavalry
Reinforced Trebuchet
War Longship
2 x Clan Drummond Shieldmaiden
3 x Ancient Foglet
Dol Blathanna Marksman
Svanrige
Cleaver
Thaler
Manticore
Sheldon Skaggs
Prince Stennis

D0om;n7807910 said:
I'll just list the legendaries, epics, and rares I have and hopefully people can help out.

Legendaries:
Roach
Caretaker
Xarthisius

Epics:
Prize-winning cow
Sigrdrifa
Olgierd
Sile de Tansarville
Peter Saar Gwynleve
Jutta an Dimun
Caranthir
Geralt: Aard

Rares:
Stammelford's Tremors
Dimeritium Bomb
Commander's Horn
Scorch
3 x Swollow Potion
Thunderbolt Potion
Dimeritium Shackles
Reinforcement
2 x Promote
2 x Field Medic
3 x Hawker Healer
3 x Wild Hunt Rider
2 x Blue Stripes Scout
Blue Mountain Commando
Mangonel
3 x Dun Banner Heavy Cavalry
Reinforced Trebuchet
War Longship
2 x Clan Drummond Shieldmaiden
3 x Ancient Foglet
Dol Blathanna Marksman
Svanrige
Cleaver
Thaler
Manticore
Sheldon Skaggs
Prince Stennis

Caretaker, Caranthier, Geralt Aard are a good start! Judging from this card probably Monster will be the easier way for you.

If you want to do a weather deck, you could try Woodland Spirit - it should do well with Foglets and makes fog. Besides: Avallach is a top card for Monsters and the best spy card in the whole game.

You probably could go Skellige as well, but you'd definitely need to invest more here in proper gold cards.

If you want to keep your options open I would go - Woodland Spirit - Ice Giant - Toruviel - Yen the Conjuror - Ciri when you get 25 more scraps. You'll have the makings of a very nice Monster deck, a very good ST card, and two highly useful neutral golds.

Last edited:
Noela;n7808830 said:
Mardroeme for the Foglets, maybe?

But then it only adds 3 or reduces by 3 strength, right? So essentially you could make a foglet into 5 instead of 2. What's the point of that? Or am I missing something?

D0om;n7809300 said:
But then it only adds 3 or reduces by 3 strength, right? So essentially you could make a foglet into 5 instead of 2. What's the point of that? Or am I missing something?

Every time you make fog, the small foglets automatically appear on your side (no matter if they are in your deck or in your graveyard). If you make them stronger it can be an investment for later rounds.

But you definitely need a lot fog in your deck to make it pay off for you :).

Everyone will start posting lists of cards that they like. You don't know what their strategies are, or even if they have any. Don't craft ANYTHING without having a strategy.

My suggestion: Start with the leaders in the factions. Look at their ability. Now browse over the silvers/golds... try to connect the dots and understand what the creators were thinking. Which silvers/golds seems like they could go hand-in-hand with the leader? When you see the patterns... quickly jot down the strategy you think the creators had in mind. Now look over the bronze cards... which bronze cards would go with the strategy? Don't forget to INCLUDE the neutrals in your search. This might take some time, but you'll see what the various strategies are for the different factions. Now pick one..... how to pick one? Keep in mind what the CHANCES are of implementing that strategy in a game? Are the chances slim that you'll draw the needed cards? If yes, then maybe move on. Or maybe see if you can fill in with cards that would boost your chances of drawing needed cards. Think top-down. When you have a great idea finally, that's when you craft. Otherwise, you are wasting (what I assume is) a bunch of money you spent on opening kegs.

D0om;n7808710 said:
I guess it's gonna be a weather deck for me then. I've found a budget one, for which I have a good number of cards, here's the link: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/10168-weather-rank-2100
What do you think of it? Unfortunately there's no guide for it, so I don't know what purpose in this deck the 3 Mardroeme serve. Would anyone care to explain?

I dislike weather decks because they can easily be countered (or.... opponents strategy may be based on a different row). Not to mention there are weather immune cards, and specials to make cards immune (or gold). I wouldn't count it out completely, but I suggest making this a SECONDARY strategy in the deck.

The monsters deck you (OP) linked is similar to what I've been playing as a newcomer, though I don't run Mardroeme (I have Ancient Foglet x 2 and Fog in their place).

Henry has been great in helping me plan out builds - do take up on his offer.

And while you're now looking past starter decks, do check out Treamayne's useful thread on them:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...rner/7587710-new-players-tips-and-suggestions

At the very least, you can run them to get a feel for how well you like the faction, then you can improve your deck from there.

Ringlin;n7824860 said:
The monsters deck you (OP) linked is similar to what I've been playing as a newcomer, though I don't run Mardroeme (I have Ancient Foglet x 2 and Fog in their place).

Henry has been great in helping me plan out builds - do take up on his offer.

And while you're now looking past starter decks, do check out Treamayne's useful thread on them:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...rner/7587710-new-players-tips-and-suggestions

At the very least, you can run them to get a feel for how well you like the faction, then you can improve your deck from there.

I'm blushing. Thank you for your kind words, my friend.

Top Bottom